Post Match Leicester City 2 - 0 Swindon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

Double for Beckford, 5 and 53. Maybe Di Canio can make the trains run on time. :icon_roll

Were a bit shakey in the middle of the game but pushed on towards the end. Well done lads. Sledge MOM

Good stuff. Think Swindon were the better side for much of the first half and started off in the same manner in the second. The second goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of them though, from then on they seemed to be just taking potshots at goal from distance all the time and never really troubled. Good defending throughout from us I think and nice to see one of the younger lads given a run out near the end. Who do we want next? The winner of Stevenage/ Notts Co. will do me nicely.

Any team in the North, except Cackpool, would be good. Good performance today, although Swindon hammered us in parts. Hopper looked lively for the time he was on. Overall good performance, one more win and we'll be in the quarter finals!

I'm really not too fussed who we get. We've reached the 5th round so happy to go and take on the big boys now and get knocked out or cause an upset and if we get a smaller team, we have a good chance of getting through to the quarters.

Either way we avoided a big banana skin today which potentially could have put us back to square one in terms of confidence and form, so I'm very pleased with the result and anything now is a big bonus in terms of the cup.

Good result, probably deserved to win overall, but 2-0 was a bit flattering.

Did look a bit shaky defensively in the first half though. Schmeichel and Sean St. Ledger, who was MOTM by a mile, had to dig Peltier and Mills out of 3 or 4 deep holes in that period of the game and Konchesky should have been sent-off, but the defence much improved second half and other than that it was a professional enough performance.

Last edited:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/16664158.stm

BBC website getting it massively wrong again in their post match report. Claiming Beckford has scored 14 in 14 this season. I think they meant in the FA Cup.

Glad he bagged a couple of more goals today, has looked great in the last few games and hopefully the goals will start pouring in in the league now as well.

Happy to get away with that

They were far better than us in the first half - second half fifty fifty

Sledger and Schmeichel outstanding. Mills, Danns, Beckford and Dyer decent

Gallagher absoLutely stunk the place out. An absolute shambles of a performance

Makes a very nice change to be in the fifth round. Onwards and upwards...,

Gallagher absoLutely stunk the place out. An absolute shambles of a performance

Sorry Homer, didn't think he was THAT bad. He had a direct shot saved and his cross led to Beckford's goal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Homer, didn't think he was THAT bad. He had a direct shot saved and his cross led to Beckford's goal.

Agreed. Gallagher was getting dog's abuse around us every time he sensibly jockied a player instead of dived in for a tackle, seems our fans just want to see players go in for diving challanges when they're not at all sensible. He had a decent enough game imo.

Certainly thought Peltier had a worse game than Gallagher, but got no abuse whatsoever.

Last edited:
Agree with Homer, Gallagher was absolutely diabolical, I don't think he knows what 'putting a foot in' or 'making a tackle' is.

Sledge was sensational again, the defence has all of a sudden got a solid look to it.

I'm starting to like seeing Danns in centre midfield, I think he works hard and is strong in the tackle (although how he avoided a booking today I'll never know).

Great to put another win on the board and hopefully the same on Wednesday.

Agree with Homer, Gallagher was absolutely diabolical, I don't think he knows what 'putting a foot in' or 'making a tackle' is.

Sledge was sensational again, the defence has all of a sudden got a solid look to it.

I'm starting to like seeing Danns in centre midfield, I think he works hard and is strong in the tackle (although how he avoided a booking today I'll never know).

Great to put another win on the board and hopefully the same on Wednesday.

Going flying into tackles is not the be all and end all of the game. Gallagher put in several brilliant passes and crosses today, certainly more than Dyer did. The kids behind me keep hounding him for not winning headers more often, as though every player should be flying into tackles, winning every header and able to dribble past everyone. Players have different strengths and weaknesses and good teams complement each others'.

I'm still not sure about this solid defence look. Second half we did well defensively, but we didn't look at all solid first half, SSL aside. We let Swindon in far too easily and a better (Championship) side probably would have punished us today. Like, I said before, we defended well against Southampton, but they still had 3 or 4 very good openings they spurned miles off target and anyone can get a clean sheet against Forest these days, they even missed an open goal from 2 yards out.

Of course, hopefully clean sheets build confidence and you can only beat what's in front of you and all the other cliches, but it's still going to take a few games to be fully convinced that this defence is the answer, we're still letting teams in too easily and I still think better teams will punish this defence.

Last edited:
Going flying into tackles is not the be all and end all of the game. Gallagher put in several brilliant passes and crosses today, certainly more than Dyer did. The kids behind me keep hounding him for not winning headers more often, as though every player should be flying into tackles, winning every header and able to dribble past everyone. Players have different strengths and weaknesses and good teams complement each others'.

I didn't say anything about 'going flying into tackles' being the be all and end all of the game. I simply stated that he had a poor game and that was the part I picked out about that his game that was particularly poor and is in fact consistently poor. There was at least one instance today that if he'd put his foot in and not been a fairy about it he would've had a shooting opportunity. But I guess we can't expect commitment and tackling from players these days.

Why we have some obsession with kicking the ball to Gallagher to win the header is beyond me, because as you point out, he is awful aerially. I just don't rate him, he pulls off one or two good passes a game that might set up a goalscoring chance or scores a free kick and everyone loves him and thinks he's the bees knees.. He's just lightweight.

Last edited:
I think my issue with Gallagher was more about giving simple passes away on numerous occasions. Maybe it was down to match fitness having missed the last game and just come back from a bit of a twinge in the back, but he was the biggest culprit for sloppy passing today. His crosses are also shit, regardless of whether one wound up resulting in a goal today - they usually don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669