Post Match Leicester City 2 Wigan Athletic 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the penalty, had Nugent missed do you think the referee would have ordered it to be taken again. Talking about a goalkeeper moving before the ball is kicked - he was making me dizzy with his antics !

A good alround performance yesterday, agianst a team that many have as being "up there" come the business end of the season.

Link up play between Nuge and vardy, at times, was bloody good, (Some neat little flicks into each others path,) that bodes well for the season.
Out of the 2 I'd say Nuge looks the player out of confidence. more than once he chose to pass rather than shoot. (Mind you when he did shoot.......)
Moore is just getting better and better.
Morgan may not have had his best game, but at times he was a frigging beast.
PK played well from the start, rather than wait 20 minutes. (Only dived in once too early, couldv'e cost us)
Kingy and DD played well in the middle. DD put a lovely couple of throughballs to Vardy, one was a good save from the keeper, the other resulted in the penalty.
Kasper was his reassuring self, and RDL had a better game as a defender.

Hammond looked okay when he came on as well.

With NP and City now showing the flexibilty to change formation during a game, the future is looking good!

Goalkeepers are allowed to move before the penalty is take, as long as they don't move forward of the goal line.

They're not allowed to go behind the goal-line either. And they must face the pitch; they can't mirror the antics of one of our former penalty takers.

I thought RDL looked like he couldn't pass a football to save his life.

On a few occasions he gave the ball away twice in the space of a few seconds.

Regarding the penalty, had Nugent missed do you think the referee would have ordered it to be taken again. Talking about a goalkeeper moving before the ball is kicked - he was making me dizzy with his antics !

I've often wondered why keepers are so static on the line. The great Paul Cooper was tremendous viewing at times simply by standing a little to one side and encouraging the penalty taker to go the way he wanted. He was almost impossible to beat over the course of a shoot out because of such mind games. I almost wished for us to give a penalty away at times just to watch him save it.

Carson did nothing wrong.

:icon_lol: do you go to the games to watch Stowell have a wobbly, rather than the actual match David?

For me football is the full package. I deliberately choose to sit where I can see and more importantly hear the bench. It enhances the game to hear Craig Shakespeare trying to get Knockaert to show some interest in marking for an opposition free kick. Again I enjoy the crowd. The grand folks who sit near me are knowledgeable, funny and always make me welcome and most of the chants are enjoyable. Presumably Moore's family love hearing "Liam Moore he's one of our own."

On the actual match I think we should not get carried away. Two teams who may well contend for the play-offs had a match in which the home team played better and won 2-0. If we beat them 2-0 at Wigan that will be impressive.

Our defence was excellent. Moore has great potential and will surely end up in the Premier League. Vardy and Nugent were an energetic partnership and always likely to force Wigan into making mistakes especially with Dyer along side. However, their finishing did not match the rest of their play. Knockaert had flashes of quality but gave the ball away too much. Wood did nothing to force his way into the starting XI and Schlupp who I wanted to see play was not on long enough to judge.

As we won the game Nigel presumably thought the referee had a good game but decided not to mention it. Losing manager Owen Coyle, on the other hand felt the referee got a penalty decision wrong

Of course the big issue this season is Konchesky's hair. Clearly last season's baldness was a fashion choice. This leads me to point out that millions of men go bald reluctantly. Why then did Paul do it deliberately and what has caused him to change his mind.

Last edited:
For me football is the full package. I deliberately choose to sit where I can see and more importantly hear the bench. It enhances the game to hear Craig Shakespeare trying to get Knockaert to show some interest in marking for an opposition free kick. Again I enjoy the crowd. The grand folks who sit near me are knowledgeable, funny and always make me welcome and most of the chants are enjoyable. Presumably Moore's family love hearing "Liam Moore he's one of our own."

On the actual match I think we should not get carried away. Two teams who may well contend for the play-offs had a match in which the home team played better and won 2-0. If we beat them 2-0 at Wigan that will be impressive.

Our defence was excellent. Moore has great potential and will surely end up in the Premier League. Vardy and Nugent were an energetic partnership and always likely to force Wigan into making mistakes especially with Dyer along side. However, their finishing did not match the rest of their play. Knockaert had flashes of quality but gave the ball away too much. Wood did nothing to force his way into the starting XI and Schlupp who I wanted to see play was not on long enough to judge.

As we won the game Nigel presumably thought the referee had a good game but decided not to mention it. Losing manager Owen Coyle, on the other hand felt the referee got a penalty decision wrong

Of course the big issue this season is Konchesky's hair. Clearly last season's baldness was a fashion choice. This leads me to point out that millions of men go bald reluctantly. Why then did Paul do it deliberately and what has caused him to change his mind.

Can only assume PK has been grey for years, hence the shaven head. He's decided it's OK for him to display his greyness in his mid thirties.

I've often wondered why keepers are so static on the line. The great Paul Cooper was tremendous viewing at times simply by standing a little to one side and encouraging the penalty taker to go the way he wanted. He was almost impossible to beat over the course of a shoot out because of such mind games. I almost wished for us to give a penalty away at times just to watch him save it.

Carson did nothing wrong.

in the days of cooper (pre '97), keepers were not allowed to move laterally before the ball was struck.

in the days of cooper (pre '97), keepers were not allowed to move laterally before the ball was struck.

Presumably nobody told Tubby Lawrence about that.

PK looked better with his head shaved. Really suited him.

i love DG's posts. I think they should all be collated into a book.

Thought the Daily Star's fifa angle on the match was worth a post:

[h=1]Leicester 2 - Wigan 0: Ace Liam Moore eclipses FIFA13 flop with match goal[/h]LIAM Moore might be an X-Box loser – but when it comes to the real thing he’s a match-winner!

By Peter Oakes/Published 15th September 2013
26663.jpg
Screen idol: Moore [ACTION IMAGES]
The defender, 29, was a FIFA13 flop when he was soundly thrashed by a pal and he wasn’t allowed to forget it.
Moore had revealed his preparation for the FA Cup winners’ visit and within minutes of scoring his first-ever senior goal one chum tweeted: “That fifa lesson was on his mind then! Taking it out on Wigan!”
Local lad Moore was given far too much room by the dozy Latics’ defenders when he went up for Anthony Knockaert’s 14th-minute corner.
His powerful header left Scott Carson helplessly beaten before David Nugent added an 81st-minute penalty.
Foxes’ boss Nigel Pearson said: “Liam’s performance was good but it’s about time he scored. He’s played a part in a very good team performance.”
If Owen Coyle was looking for a boost ahead of Thursday’s 800-mile round-trip to Belgium for the Latics’ historic first-ever European match, he was disappointed as they go to Waregem on the back of only one win in their last half dozen.
And when Jean Beausejour stumbled into the lively Jamie Vardy in the box it was all over.
“Liam’s performance was good but it’s about time he scored”
Nigel Pearson​
Even though Carson got his right hand to the ball, Nugent’s spot-kick was so powerful it went in off the post.
Wigan boss Coyle said: “If I’d been allowed seven substitutes I’d have used them.

“The first goal was easily avoidable. We didn’t play as well as we can but I feel we were a bit hard done by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669