Maynard now up for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure Boc was saying in the Summer that he was under the impression Maynard was keen on moving to us. Maybe I imagined it though, there were a lot of rumours going on then with regards to different players moving to us.

Sven said in the Swedish press he wanted to move.

Personally, I think he'd be a total deadbeat joining us.

I wouldn't be surpised if we went back in for him, but think he may well get a move to a Premiership team. Everton will sell Rodwell and will be in the market for a cheap striker...

Why should we go back for him?
It was Sven that wanted him, he's gone (if you didn't know).

Everton have no money anyway, they haven't brought a player in about 2 1/2 years or something. Just got in freebies.

Everton have no money anyway, they haven't brought a player in about 2 1/2 years or something. Just got in freebies.

Brought? Do they have to physically bring each player to them?

dont worry lads Pearson has left the door open for waggy thank fu*k for that then!!! I think he is holding out for a prem club personally

I think Maynard is holding out for a prem club, apologies I should have posed it better. I just find the report on the BBC web page as laughable about waghorn, he is not in the same league as Nugent and Beckford, 100% effort but is lacking in technical ability,that is what prevents him from being a success

I think Maynard is holding out for a prem club, apologies I should have posed it better. I just find the report on the BBC web page as laughable about waghorn, he is not in the same league as Nugent and Beckford, 100% effort but is lacking in technical ability,that is what prevents him from being a success

This is perhaps where every England manager since Alf Ramsey has gone wrong. Thinking it's just about "names" and "proven players."

Surely it's form and team bonding that matters more than ability? It's the "celebrity" names winning over who's in the better form and who fits the team better. And that's something which Beckford simply hasn't produced for half a season now. I'd much rather have had Waghorn in the team for the first half of this season than Beckford, regardless of who is the better player on paper.

I'd much rather have had Waghorn in the team for the first half of this season than Beckford, regardless of who is the better player on paper.

Crazy talk. He hardly set the world alight for Hull either. £4m for Beckford might be insane but £3m for Waggy was just as bad business.

I disagree in part,yes it is good to have a player that puts his all in for the team, however when the end product is a poor one then that player is null and void! the problem with beckford and nugent is that they are light years ahead of the current incumbent midfield, I hope pearson now rotates some of those players in that departement, take yuki abe for instance yes he has his faults, but at least he shows vision and can recognise when his front men have moved. I would love to see him and Danns given a run out.
I feel he needs to buy a wide player to replace Loyd dyer, once again a player with a fantastic work ethic, but the majority of the time his final product is poor. wether or not this is a coaching problem or the individual lacking self belief I do not know. Dyer has pace to burn and destroyers 90% of all defenders in this league,but when he reaches the bye line the end product is poor, we lack a little bit of class in certain areas, hopefully Pearson will sort this, I still think we will be in the top 6 this year.

I think that both Waghorn and Howard bring something a bit different as substitutes - energy and not a bad goal scoring record in the case of Waghorn and a bit of brutality wehich we could call commitment in the case of Howard.

Bristol City needs to cash in on Maynard now. I don't think he wants to play for us but if no one else was interested I suppose he might have to....... the alleged earlier bid of £6m sounds excessive - he doesn't exactly score for fun does he (except against us of course).

Crazy talk. He hardly set the world alight for Hull either. £4m for Beckford might be insane but £3m for Waggy was just as bad business.

I completely agree.

However, I think you completely missed my point, TS. Which was that I'd have rather had Waghorn in the team for the first half of this season than Beckford, not saying he is a better player. In truth, there are loads of average Championship strikers I'd have rather had in the team over either for the first half of this season in current form.

I disagree in part,yes it is good to have a player that puts his all in for the team, however when the end product is a poor one then that player is null and void! the problem with beckford and nugent is that they are light years ahead of the current incumbent midfield, I hope pearson now rotates some of those players in that departement, take yuki abe for instance yes he has his faults, but at least he shows vision and can recognise when his front men have moved. I would love to see him and Danns given a run out.
I feel he needs to buy a wide player to replace Loyd dyer, once again a player with a fantastic work ethic, but the majority of the time his final product is poor. wether or not this is a coaching problem or the individual lacking self belief I do not know. Dyer has pace to burn and destroyers 90% of all defenders in this league,but when he reaches the bye line the end product is poor, we lack a little bit of class in certain areas, hopefully Pearson will sort this, I still think we will be in the top 6 this year.

I never said anything about work ethic, I said players who fit into a team and complement their teammates. Yakubu lacked work ethic but he sure as hell fitted and worked into our team last season.

And there's no way Beckford's poor form is solely down to the midfield.

Yes, it has made an impact, but it's hardly a dire Championship midfield, it's just a medicore one. Stick Beckford in Doncaster's or Coventry's team with their midfield, which is genuinely a dire Championship one and even then you still would have expected a better return from him. In fact Billy Sharp and Lukas Jutkiewicz have still managed to outscore any of our current players and easily outscore Beckford, even with much worse service.

Beckford has looked better the past 3 or 4 games, but before that he was absolutely dreadful, missing sitters, having one of the worst first touches I have ever seen. Constantly overlooking passes to better placed teammates to try and dribble round 3 players himself (and inevitably getting tackled). I hope he comes good in the second half of the season, but you cannot simply blame the midfield for his poor form, he has simply not been good enough in the first half of the season.

Last edited:
I completely agree.

However, I think you completely missed my point, TS. Which was that I'd have rather had Waghorn in the team for the first half of this season than Beckford, not saying he is a better player. In truth, there are loads of average Championship strikers I'd have rather had in the team over either for the first half of this season in current form.

I get your point, I'm just saying it's a bit of a baseless argument as they have both been crap. Arguably there would have been no benefit of having had Waghorn in in place of Beckford.

Personally I think spending the big bucks on a player is the wrong way to go anyway, they more often than not are not worth the outlay. Pearson has a great scouting network so hopefully he can unearth a few gems that won't cost the Earth.

Yes pearson does do well with his scouts.however he prefers to play the big man with the small pacy striker, and plays a very direct game, which is a shame as he has real quality at his disposal.saying that I have every confidence in the man!

Yes pearson does do well with his scouts.however he prefers to play the big man with the small pacy striker, and plays a very direct game, which is a shame as he has real quality at his disposal.saying that I have every confidence in the man!

I disagree. He very rarely played like that in our 09/10 when we made the play-offs. We largely played 4-3-3 with either Fryatt or Waghorn, neither of whom can be called either a big man or a small pacy striker up front, with Gallagher and Dyer/Waghorn on the wings.

And he's not played that at all this season, bar the last game. Though this may be because Howard is our only "big man" and that's an area we really lack in (it has been said often by Leeds and Everton fans that Beckford needs a target man to play alongside) and is an area we probably need to strengthen in January.

I wouldn't say he was "very direct" either. Probably more direct than average, but not that noticeably, I certainly don't think we have ever been anywhere near as direct as the likes of Micky Adams and Craig Levein were.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670