Maynard now up for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maynard & Beckford are too similar in stature & style to fit into the same team / squad

I say Young Nicky turned us down when the time was right for both parties (early in the season) and LCFC put a ton of cash on the table for a non-Prem striker.

We shot our load laying out 3 mill for Beckford & we have to give him time to come good

Maynard snubbed us royally, & Pearson has made a big deal on only wanting players in who have passion for this club - I say "let him rot on the Bristol City transfer list"

I agree about adams and levin, however he stills plays a direct game, especially with Howard on the pitch,which is a shame because he actually plays quite well with the ball played into his feet.With regards to beckford IMO he prefers to pull on the last man utilising the space either side of the 18 yard box, IMO he would prefer a pass rather than a flick on.
I disagree, he did play a very direct game in the 09/10 season largely down to the squad that he had then, I would stick with Nugent and Beckford, the problem is that Wellens picks up on their movement to late, hence Beckford is always given offside. As I have stated before I would go with ABE and Danns in the middle of the park, King has shown that for all his work rate, he is easy to mark out of the game,something most sides have picked up on. Is Fernandez injured? another player I find it difficult to believe he would be left out, perhaps Nigel has stuck with what he knew, before he got personal with his squad?

This is perhaps where every England manager since Alf Ramsey has gone wrong. Thinking it's just about "names" and "proven players."

Surely it's form and team bonding that matters more than ability? It's the "celebrity" names winning over who's in the better form and who fits the team better. And that's something which Beckford simply hasn't produced for half a season now. I'd much rather have had Waghorn in the team for the first half of this season than Beckford, regardless of who is the better player on paper.

Its also about square pegs in square holes and having a balanced side with players comfortable and competent in their roles, able to deliver what is being asked of them consistenly and effectively. The idea that good players can play anywhere is a myth at this level. Its about exploiting the best attributes of the players and having a style, formation and a plan that all can enable and contribute to.

Sorry Jeff, the name comes from 45 years ago when I was described as 10 years before my time when I played in the District League with the best bunch of players that played Junior/Senior football in the late 60s and 70s and should have become the top side in Leicestershire

I completely agree.

However, I think you completely missed my point, TS. Which was that I'd have rather had Waghorn in the team for the first half of this season than Beckford, not saying he is a better player. In truth, there are loads of average Championship strikers I'd have rather had in the team over either for the first half of this season in current form.

Even though he's been injured for most of the season?

I never said anything about work ethic, I said players who fit into a team and complement their teammates. Yakubu lacked work ethic but he sure as hell fitted and worked into our team last season.

And there's no way Beckford's poor form is solely down to the midfield.

Yes, it has made an impact, but it's hardly a dire Championship midfield, it's just a medicore one. Stick Beckford in Doncaster's or Coventry's team with their midfield, which is genuinely a dire Championship one and even then you still would have expected a better return from him. In fact Billy Sharp and Lukas Jutkiewicz have still managed to outscore any of our current players and easily outscore Beckford, even with much worse service.

Beckford has looked better the past 3 or 4 games, but before that he was absolutely dreadful, missing sitters, having one of the worst first touches I have ever seen. Constantly overlooking passes to better placed teammates to try and dribble round 3 players himself (and inevitably getting tackled). I hope he comes good in the second half of the season, but you cannot simply blame the midfield for his poor form, he has simply not been good enough in the first half of the season.

He hasn't been that bad at all. The games I've seen him in prior to his run of goals, he was a lot better than a lot make out on here.

Excellent business dealings by Bristol City. So they could have received over $5mn from us a few months ago and now get over $3mn less for a player that has scored a handful of goals while they languish near the relegation zone. In any business other than football heads would roll for decisions like that !

Excellent business dealings by Bristol City. So they could have received over $5mn from us a few months ago and now get over $3mn less for a player that has scored a handful of goals while they languish near the relegation zone. In any business other than football heads would roll for decisions like that !

Maynard didn't want to come here, so it doesn't matter how much we offered for him. They couldn't have forced him to sign for us.

Why would we pay for him in dollars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670