MDV to Dunfirmline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Sharapova said:
I can only go on what I've seen, and O'Grady looks to be one of our brightest prospects for some time, and we haven't had a home grown striker for ages.

I think that's the problem though, he'll get the benefit of the doubt because he's home grown. Just like Tommy Wright did. I'm with BG and HF on this one, it would be great to see him score 15-20 goals but I'd rather have someone who has proved they can score regularly.

MDV would have been a useful back-up striker to the top 2 - but no more.

glyn said:
I think that's the problem though, he'll get the benefit of the doubt because he's home grown. Just like Tommy Wright did. I'm with BG and HF on this one, it would be great to see him score 15-20 goals but I'd rather have someone who has proved they can score regularly.

We haven't got another striker who has proved he can score more goals per minute than Chris O'Grady.

glyn said:

MDV would have been a useful back-up striker to the top 2 - but no more.
I never thought much of Tommy Wright - I just think O'Grady's got a certain something about him that TW never had - call it perseverence or a willingness to work hard, whatever. Time will tell. If everyone agreed on everything life would be damned boring, that's for sure.;)

Real Sharapova said:
I never thought much of Tommy Wright - I just think O'Grady's got a certain something about him that TW never had - call it perseverence or a willingness to work hard, whatever. Time will tell. If everyone agreed on everything life would be damned boring, that's for sure.;)

I said TW was another wanker right from the start, and I was proved right, along with Stewart Cambell and Stewart Wilson. Mind you Stevie Wonder could see those two were going to be no good.

Hopefully O'Grady will really develop this season, he has shown he has potential, this season has to be the one where he starts to deliver as back up to Hume and Fryatt. No doubt he is going to feature fairly regularly this season, whether it be as a substitute or in the event of one of the starting two of Hume or Fryatt being absent.

The big difference IMO between COG and MDV is that when O'Grady plays we can maintain the quick tempo, he fits in with RK's preferred style of play and ethos, where as IMO De Vries lacks the ability, pace and power so to fit him into the side would mean a change in tactics and one that obviously Kelly is not prepared to make.

I agree with A-Z, when MDV played, we reverted to the long ball up to his chest, normally resulting in a free kick to the opposition. O'Grady encourages people to play at a high tempo and will chase lost causes, and is a better squad player for it.

I really rate O'Grady from what i have seen of him. He holds it up well, rolls defenders and offers good pace.

If we can mould him into a clinical finisher then he will definitely be an asset.

Saying he hasnt a chance to get in first team is pushing it, striker positions have a high churn rate, dont score for 3 games and the manager be looking at swapping the player.

He reminds me of Heskey a little. He has the hustle and bustle that centre backs don't like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669