Message from the Chairman

So you have to issue some kind of statement to address the recent shitfest, and then try give people a little bit of something to cling onto - should be a bit of contrition (which is totally absent) and then some forward looking spin to try and sell tickets and shirts (which this is riddled with, along with unnecessarily high levels of sentimentality to get you onside)

So why on earth would you put in that mardy-arsed bit about offensive messages? How does that have a place in a statement like this? Your core statement to the fans about the critical, desperate state we are in and you are whining about that.

Read it again - it sticks out like a sore thumb

Ill-judged in the extreme
I actually agree with this. Not a great message.

I deal a lot with PR in sport. He would have been advised against the abuse notes for a later time and place.

Apologize, acknowledge your role, lay out some next steps. Leave the rest for another day. Simple leadership.

Further evidence that he is not being well-advised. Or not listening.

I suspect it’s the former

They’ll have told him the fans are so simple that they’ll forget the shitstorm of the last twelve months and focus on that instead

Seems to have worked with the more gullible, but a quick read on FT and Bentleys tells me that most have seen through it

The abuse is unacceptable, and should be called out - but whining about it doesn’t belong in a statement like this
Oh I don't know. I know it kinda seems odd but, for maximum exposure, I think it's a pretty good place tbh - target audience and all that. Everyone with an interest would read it, including those that sent the abusive messages. It'd be nice to think said people might reflect and feel a bit like twats now... but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one. I would imagine it'd be an eye opener for some folk too, as they personally would never dream of sending such messages. The vast majority thankfully.

I don’t know that centering his experience with the fans in this notes is particularly a clever Pr strategy.
I'm not well versed in the nature of PR and the usual types of it etc so maybe Top's statement does appear unusual or out of the ordinary. I can only comment on my reaction to it and I thought it was a human statement. I sense a real person behind it and not simply a chairman. That is, it doesn't come across as PR to me. If that makes me gullible then so be it.

I'm not well versed in the nature of PR and the usual types of it etc so maybe Top's statement does appear unusual or out of the ordinary. I can only comment on my reaction to it and I thought it was a human statement. I sense a real person behind it and not simply a chairman. That is, it doesn't come across as PR to me. If that makes me gullible then so be it.
Quite human. But what we need is a leader with a plan. That did not reflect in his message. This feels about him, not the club.

I think Jonny Evans said the club doesn't know what it's going to do yet. I think there's probably a deal of truth in that. There is no detailed plan yet. A statement was expected so with little definitive to say, it addresses the story to date and emphasises the desire to continue on the same path.

Quite human. But what we need is a leader with a plan. That did not reflect in his message. This feels about him, not the club.
Because that is not the forum to voice a plan. It was a statement intended to give a human voice, a human insight into what has happened. It seems that some people want him to be honest but only when it's about the things they want him to be honest about.

It wouldn't have mattered what he wrote to some; they'd still think their vitriol perfectly justifiable.

Because that is not the forum to voice a plan. It was a statement intended to give a human voice, a human insight into what has happened. It seems that some people want him to be honest but only when it's about the things they want him to be honest about.

It wouldn't have mattered what he wrote to some; they'd still think their vitriol perfectly justifiable.
Nah. The statement stinks. The more I read it the less I like it. It’s riddled with missteps and if it’s a signal of the next year I’m very concerned. Missed opportunity at least.

I’ve defended Top, sure I will again. I don’t think he’s a bad bloke, just an unqualified one.

Whoever wrote this can be added to the pile of incompetent fools that have made so many errors over the last 12 months.

I suppose that I shouldn't be surprised that this board follows modern mores: people are either superheroes, or arch villains. Top and the board should take some responsibility for what has occurred, as should Brendan Rodgers and the players: however, none of them have set out to create the current situation.

This vicious blaming helps no one. We need to learn and move on. I am delighted to read that Top has risen above the foul mouthed criticism and will continue. I would prefer that monied men were divorced from football (and all positions of power!) but, society doesn't currently agree therefore, I am proud that my club is, at least, owned by a principled man.
Brilliant post.

Nowadays you agree with someone once on one thing then you agree with them for everything.

The buck always stops with Top ultimately. But he brings people in to advice him, run the club etc and they advise him badly. Add in a manager who was at the end but didn't leave and created enemies in the dressing room, plus players with bad attitudes.

A comedy of errors.

Don’t you just hate it when footballers walk off the pitch due to racial abuse. They’re footballers for god sake, win the fans the game and then save your emotional wellbeing for a later date.

Get a grip. Maybe, just maybe he’s been receiving this abuse for longer than a week. And maybe he decided not to address it during the final games of the season as it would be an unnecessary distraction.

He highlighted it in the message he knew would be read by most football fans. It takes nothing away from his general message of ‘on to next year’, ‘still backing the club’, and ‘time to reflect and improve’.

The state of of you ‘supporters’ that the very person that finances your beloved club is allowed to be abused and should stay quiet until the right time.

What he says in this statement is irrelevant, what he does in the next 2 months is what matters. Unfortunately, I don’t have a great deal of confidence he actually has a clue how to rightside the situation we are in. Clearly his statement indicates he’s going to stick around, so we’ve just got to hope and pray he makes the right call(s), for the sake of our club.

Nah. The statement stinks. The more I read it the less I like it. It’s riddled with missteps and if it’s a signal of the next year I’m very concerned. Missed opportunity at least.

I’ve defended Top, sure I will again. I don’t think he’s a bad bloke, just an unqualified one.

Whoever wrote this can be added to the pile of incompetent fools that have made so many errors over the last 12 months.

Have to agree. When we won the PL, it was Vichai on the front of the programme against Everton. You can't put yourself out there front and centre for all the good times and then be surprised when you get abuse when you get it monumentally wrong.

Agreed that he's been taking along by people who have advised him poorly.

Most of the blame for me sits with Rudkin. I'm not even sure how much Whelan is to blame as such - it sounds like she's well respected and has already stepped in at times to get stuff done (e.g. the Fofana sale). But also from what I understand isn't involved in all of the football decisions - that is Rudkin's role.

If Rudkin goes I can forgive the others for now.
Who employs Rudkin? **** me, if you’re an utter incompetent, it’s ultimately the fault of those above you who allow you to act upon that incompetence.

Nah. The statement stinks. The more I read it the less I like it. It’s riddled with missteps.

I’ve defended Top, sure I will again.

I mean, it doesn't. I don't know what it is about a simple statement that seems to have riled a few (luckily a very small number) folk who seem to want to analyse it to death and pretend they've found some hidden agenda in it.

He's every right to call out ****s who abuse him. He's every right to give a statement about what he thinks and feels. Of course there should be more in terms of fan communication and if that doesn't come soon and in a correct forum then more questions should be asked but now isn't a time to lay out your step by step plan.

Like I've written previously, he's made many mistakes this year and last, that is indisputable. However, the criticism of him releasing this statement (after the criticism of him never speaking to fans) which is nothing more than a personal voice reacting to what has happened, is churlish to say the least.

Have to agree. When we won the PL, it was Vichai on the front of the programme against Everton. You can't put yourself out there front and centre for all the good times and then be surprised when you get abuse when you get it monumentally wrong.
You think that because our previous chairman celebrated winning the league with a picture of himself on the programme, brainless, gammon-headed anal glands can abuse him?

The saddest part of this is that he probably isn't surprised. It doesn't mean that he doesn't get to say it how it is though.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363
9Middlesbro4463
10Preston 4463