Post Match Millwall 2 Leicester City 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do fans always consider effort to be the most important part of being a footballer?

Is it just because it is easier to judge when watching a game if somebody is putting the effort in? Somebody who puts 100% effort in can still have 0% influence on the game.

This is an English thing, not just linked to football: look at any workforce, and I will almost guarantee that the chap/lady who gets promoted is the one that is in earliest in to the office in the morning and goes home last. The person who swans in, does something brilliant, and goes home, will be castigated. :102:

Why do fans always consider effort to be the most important part of being a footballer?

Is it just because it is easier to judge when watching a game if somebody is putting the effort in? Somebody who puts 100% effort in can still have 0% influence on the game.

If you are talking about my comment you should quote it.

I also said he has little talent, I'm quite sure that does effect the influence a player has on a game. However when I see Gallagher not jumping for headers or putting in a challenge on a man 2 feet away from him I'm quite sure this may also have some kind of effect on the game.

No, effort is not everything, nobody said that it was, however it does have some influence on a game, hence the reason we have lost this season to some terrible footballing sides, we didn't put the same effort in as them, that quite clearly influenced those games.

This is an English thing, not just linked to football: look at any workforce, and I will almost guarantee that the chap/lady who gets promoted is the one that is in earliest in to the office in the morning and goes home last. The person who swans in, does something brilliant, and goes home, will be castigated. :102:

Unless its shagging the boss.

First game of the season for me (feel free to stop reading now...) and first post for a while.

Typically story of the last few years - Midfield went missing once they were closed down and not given any space. Everytime we had the ball Millwall were snapping at your heals whereas we let them have as much space as they wanted.

I put this down to the static Wellens and King. Neither of whom have 'bossed' a midfield against a team like Millwall for years. Neither winger worked hard enough off the ball either.
I've usually been a big admirer of Wellens, but judging by this performance this should be his last season with us.

Defending for there first goal was of League 2 standard. If you can't defend a simple ball to the back post then we won't be getting out of this league anytime soon.

The two full backs looked weak to me too. I was disappointed with KP - for someone with so much experience his 'challenge' for the penalty was very silly. Peltier just didn't look good enough to me. Average defender, nothing special going forward. Very average Championship player.

Nugent looked decent for the first half and hour or so , but quickly faded as more balls where hoofed up. Same can be said for Beckford who always looked to me like we never actually thought/tried to win headers but was merely going though the motions of looking to challenge for them.

I find it incredible that after spending so much money last year we don't have a player in the team that I would be sad to see leave in the summer.

If you are talking about my comment you should quote it.

:icon_roll

As there had been several posts about the lack of effort I thought I would simply put "some fans" rather than quoting every reference to it. You can pretend it is all about you if you like?

No, effort is not everything, nobody said that it was, however it does have some influence on a game, hence the reason we have lost this season to some terrible footballing sides, we didn't put the same effort in as them, that quite clearly influenced those games.

It is this belief that we lose because of a lack of effort that results in players like Beckford and Gally getting the stick because they 'don't try'. When it is other players who are making mistakes which result directly to goals.

Fans need to realise that we lose because we aren't good enough. It is hard to take when you are playing teams at the bottom of the league but that is what is comes down.

Oh look I was referring to your comment and I quoted it...

Very true!

Fans need to realise that we lose because we aren't good enough. It is hard to take when you are playing teams at the bottom of the league but that is what is comes down.

That is absolutely correct.

However, the situation hasn't been helped by poor decision making. To select that particular midfield against Millwall was asking for trouble.

The other very irritating issues is lack of value. Thanks to Sven and the lack of understanding of the ownere - the club has spent serious money on shoddy goods. Of course it is their money to waste - but fans who are not rolling in money resent paying to watch second rate players being paid top (pun intended) whack money.

Last edited by a moderator:
First game of the season for me (feel free to stop reading now...) and first post for a while.

I find it incredible that after spending so much money last year we don't have a player in the team that I would be sad to see leave in the summer.

Spot on! Pearson should spend the summer moving out the high earners (Schmeichel, Mills, Danns,Beckford,Konchesky,Nugent, St Ledger), the has beens at Championship level (Wellens,Dyer,Gallagher,Oakley,Howard,Weale) and those that don't make the grade at this level (Peltier, Morgan).

In order to be successful at this level, you need a high level of fitness and energy. These are two attributes that most of our players lack!

On my shopping list - Butterfield (Barnsley), Hammill (Wolves), Taylor (Peterborough), Zakuani (Peterborough), Stearman (Wolves), Jarvis (Wolves - although likely to stay in the Premiership when Wolves are relegated), Bothroyd (QPR), Kitson (Portsmouth), Halford (Portsmouth)

Spot on! Pearson should spend the summer moving out the high earners (Schmeichel, Mills, Danns,Beckford,Konchesky,Nugent, St Ledger), the has beens at Championship level (Wellens,Dyer,Gallagher,Oakley,Howard,Weale) and those that don't make the grade at this level (Peltier, Morgan).

In order to be successful at this level, you need a high level of fitness and energy. These are two attributes that most of our players lack!

On my shopping list - Butterfield (Barnsley), Hammill (Wolves), Taylor (Peterborough), Zakuani (Peterborough), Stearman (Wolves), Jarvis (Wolves - although likely to stay in the Premiership when Wolves are relegated), Bothroyd (QPR), Kitson (Portsmouth), Halford (Portsmouth)

Absolutely bizarre.

Gave you sent your list to Sv... eeerrr... Nigel?

Last edited:
Stearman? I bet we could get him for free.. what with him being shit and all.

The players I am suggesting are ones that are tailor made for being successful in the Championship. Sven paid vast sums of money for 'big name' players.

It is this belief that we lose because of a lack of effort that results in players like Beckford and Gally getting the stick because they 'don't try'. When it is other players who are making mistakes which result directly to goals.

Who said that a lack of effort is the only reason we lost? It's a bit single minded to think that we only lost to teams because we aren't good enough, many different aspects add up to not being good enough, not having the effort of the opposition may well be one of them.

Also I don't personally think Beckford can be accused of not trying, far from it for me.

Nurse! He's out of bed again.

Jesus ****ing wept! You'd want to stay off the juice at that time on a Monday morning

:icon_lol:

Post of the year.

Stearman FFS

You couldn't make it up

Stop being mean. A partnership of Stearman and Bamba at centre back would add something unique to the Championship - the sight of both players running back, simultaneously caught massively out of position.

I could not disagree with you more Matt, Gallagher doesn't display 20% of the effort that Konchesky does, he also proceeds to show 20% of the talent of Konchesky in 9 out of 10 games.

I truly believe Gallagher to be the poorest player in our entire starting 11 on Saturday, I think he's a very poor footballer for the Championship and he should be playing at a lower level.

I'd say Gallagher shows at least 21.6 per cent of the effort Konchesky does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669