More religion bashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call me old fashioned if you will, but I class those 2 as murderers.

Fine, I'll join in again.

They weren't murderers because they were atheists though. They were murderers because they were dictators, cast by themselves in the role of god in an alternative religion.

That's an easy one Major. Come on.

What evidence? It's impossible to prove whether god exists or not.

There are good/bad religious people and there are good/bad atheists,no group is better than the other.

Why people can't live and let live I don't understand.We'll all find out the truth when we're dead, why can't you just leave it at that?

It's always with a little Monday night religion discussion, just want to say this is my opinion.

Ok, don't let me interrupt you, keep on discussing guys, you're doing a great job (all of you). :038:

I think this is very unfair.

If you look through history and through the present day world you'll find a lot of people who believe in a God. For many people it has helped them get through lives, for many it has improved the way that they treat others.

We live in a time and a society that thinks it knows so much but really knows so little.

We treat other humans, animals and the planet in general like shit and we are so short sighted, wrapped up in our own little egos that we don't think of future generations either.

I am certainly not advocating any religion in particular or even religion in general but it makes me grimace when I hear the religion knockers who are unwilling to accept other people's points of view and beliefs.

whether they are wrong or not is besides the point. I could understand if your feelings were more specific aimed at some of the (many) "religious" people who have caused suffering but they are not. They are aimed at everybody who believes in a God. they may be blinkered , do you think you're not?

I am broadly sympathetic to your post but this makes me truly grimace. Why, simply because it does not recognise the intolerance of Organised Religion and the way in which even today the Church (in all the various forms) insists on a pre-eminence that Witchcraft does not deserve. :icon_wink

Fine, I'll join in again.

They weren't murderers because they were atheists though. They were murderers because they were dictators, cast by themselves in the role of god in an alternative religion.

That's an easy one Major. Come on.

But is it worse to kill people in the name of religion than just for pure evil or whatever? I'd say it's very contradictive (some say it isn't) but the result is all the same?

What evidence? It's impossible to prove whether god exists or not.

Do keep up Major, I wasn't trying to prove whether a god exists or not. My statement, based on my own empirical evidence, is that religion is a disease, and that that isn't a dogma.

Bear with me, I'm having a job getting through.
They were. But they didn't kill people in the name of atheism, they killed people because they were bad people.
But lots of religious people have killed people because of their religion.

But they didn't murder in the name of atheism

I'll resist the temptation to say that's a specious argument Macky.

They killed people to further their political beliefs which included atheism.Therefore they did kill in the name of atheism.

But is it worse to kill people in the name of religion than just for pure evil or whatever? I'd say it's very contradictive (some say it isn't) but the result is all the same?

You think it's better to use religion as a justification for murder/genocide/rape/misogyny/racism/terrorism than to do it purely out of being naturally predisposed to evil? I'd say it's worse: as someone else said earlier, religion makes good people do bad.

You're assuming that people who kill in the name of religion would be killers if they weren't religious. It's the religious belief that causes people to kill.

Do you think the people responsible for 9/11 would have done that if they hadn't been brainwashed into believing they'd be rewarded with virgins if they killed non believers in the name of allah?

Do you think idiot Bush would have gone to war if 'god' hadn't told him to do it? (maybe he would, but saying god told him to made it easier for him)

Do you think the troubles in Ireland would have been so bad if people hadn't been brought up to hate catholics/protestants?

You're assuming that people who kill in the name of religion would be killers if they weren't religious. It's the religious belief that causes people to kill.

Do you think the people responsible for 9/11 would have done that if they hadn't been brainwashed into believing they'd be rewarded with virgins if they killed non believers in the name of allah? No.

Do you think idiot Bush would have gone to war if 'god' hadn't told him to do it? (maybe he would, but saying god told him to made it easier for him) Yes.

Do you think the troubles in Ireland would have been so bad if people hadn't been brought up to hate catholics/protestants? Probably not but I have no idea. What do you think, Macky?:)

Would Sweden be the country that it is today without using religion as a pretext for wars and thus killing, in the 17th Century? :102:

Bear with me, I'm having a job getting through.

That's because every 'point' you've made has been completely and utterly empty, and occasionally based on guesswork or lies.

They killed people to further their political beliefs which included atheism.Therefore they did kill in the name of atheism.

No, they didn't. Several people have demonstrated this to you but you continually ignore the facts that should by now be obvious to anyone, and keep using this misapprehension to make the same point. This assertion weakens your already colander-like argument.

Last edited:
That's because every 'point' you've made has been completely and utterly empty, and occasionally based on guesswork or lies.

No, they didn't. Several people have demonstrated this to you but you continually ignore the facts that should by now be obvious to anyone, and keep using this misapprehension to make the same point. This assertion weakens already colander-like your argument.

That's your opinion, I think I'm doing well.

weirdthreadkv3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00