Muzzy Izzet

Status
Not open for further replies.
bocadillo said:
What happened to building for the future? Why would we want to be littered with old crocks? Haven't we had enough of that?
:038:

bocadillo said:
What happened to building for the future? Why would we want to be littered with old crocks? Haven't we had enough of that?

Kelly has spoken recently about how Stearman and Weso shouldn't be relied on as much next season, and he's liked having 'old heads' around like Brevett, so I think whether we like it or not we're going to see some older playes coming in in the summer. As for crocks, well, if its pay-as-you-play, what does it matter?

We do need experienced heads. However, Muzzy is an "old crock" like Boc said. No room for sentiment in business and that is what football is. If you were to step back and analyze what people are saying about Muzzy, you would think they are mental.

I bet we are the only fans that are spouting this sort of stuff about Muzzy. No other teams fans will be saying the same sort of things about him, because our opinions on Muzzy are based purely on emotions, not on fact or form

There are two issues clouding each other. The sentimental one about Muzzy and the value or otherwise of having an experienced player among the youngsters.

The latter has worked well for many clubs (Gary Parker for city, Merson for Pompey to name but two) and I would not be at all surprised to see one or two brought in for a season or two while the young lads develop & learn from them.

Whether Muzzy is the right man for that ..:102: .. I can see both arguments. But if the rumours are true, it is clear they are making certain he will be able to make a significant contribution. I doubt the club, & RK in particular, are likely to be swayed by sentiment.

Leigh said:
As for crocks, well, if its pay-as-you-play, what does it matter?

Yes, it does. They block up the space on the treatment couch for the occasional use of the fitter players.

Melton Fox said:
Muzzy is an "old crock" like Boc said.

I thought I was actually using the term in relation to the Bolton player who is in a similar position. That's who we were talking about, wasn't it? But yes, the same applies to Muzzy - and I say it in the nicest possible way; just I might say it to my old Gran (except she died about 10 years back!).

Muzzy is the past. He served us very well - although I think most people have forgotten that he was relatively crap in his last season. We need to look forward.

Melton Fox said:
I bet we are the only fans that are spouting this sort of stuff about Muzzy. No other teams fans will be saying the same sort of things about him, because our opinions on Muzzy are based purely on emotions, not on fact or form

I wish I had thought of that. Very, very, v,v,v good point, Melton!

here my few points.

1 - a team can be too young which I think is the case with our team, their does need to be some more experience in the team, mixed ages is always best.

2 - If kelly is interested in izzet then I back his decision, as long as results stay promising then he is obviously making the right decisions.

3 - I personally feel izzet will be a beneficial signing in 2 ways.

(a) On the field he should still stand out at this level, not with pace but with quality and set piece play which we have been lacking since he left.

(b) Marketing, I think this will sell season tickets and increase bums on seats in home games, a high profile signing.

Obviously I hope any deal is sensible nothing longer then a year and a substantial pay cut to what he was on before and affordable by the club.

Chrysalis said:
here my few points.

1 - a team can be too young which I think is the case with our team, their does need to be some more experience in the team, mixed ages is always best.

2 - If kelly is interested in izzet then I back his decision, as long as results stay promising then he is obviously making the right decisions.

(a) On the field he should still stand out at this level, not with pace but with quality and set piece play which we have been lacking since he left.

(b) Marketing, I think this will sell season tickets and increase bums on seats in home games, a high profile signing.

Obviously I hope any deal is sensible nothing longer then a year and a substantial pay cut to what he was on before and affordable by the club.

I think thats the main reason they would be considering it personally.

Chrysalis said:
here my few points.

I would like to agree but I have the fear factor that great players returning end up being flops and I would hate it if this was the case with Muzzy so I would rather hold on to the memories we have of him.

i agree with Alex. it'll bring smiles to lots of faces in and around the club to have him back.

if it's likely that he's over his injury problems then get him in. but if he's only gonna be fit for 10/15 appearances then no thank you

as much as i would love muzzy to return to where he belongs, i don't think it will be happening as it has been reported that he is talking to birmingham about ending his contract with a year still remaining as he is contemplating retirement due to the horrible time he has had with injuries since joining birmingham.

Personally i think he is too young to think about retiring as he is only about 30 and has still got at least a couple of years where he can still play football, perhaps not in the premiership but i believe that a drop down in divisions wwould benifit him well, it would also give him more time to build himself up to full fitness and as the matches aren't as high tempo in general he would have, if you like, an easier life compared to the premiership.

Last edited:
matt_c0nn0lly said:
as much as i would love muzzy to return to where he belongs, i don't think it will be happening as it has been reported that he is talking to birmingham about ending his contract with a year still remaining as he is contemplating retirement due to the horrible time he has had with injuries since joining birmingham.

Personally i think he is too young to think about retiring as he is only about 30 and has still got at least a couple of years where he can still play football, perhaps not in the premiership but i believe that a drop down in divisions wwould benifit him well, it would also give him more time to build himself up to full fitness and as the matches aren't as high tempo in general he would have, if you like, an easier life compared to the premiership.

Championship games are more physical encounters, also, there are more games and there is less rest between games.

If his condition is in question we should not be interested.

Feriol said:
Championship games are more physical encounters, also, there are more games and there is less rest between games.

Exactly - less time to play the ball; less space; more games; emphasis on physical attributes rather than skill - he would be crazy to play again in the fizzy league...and its just not going to happen.

Feriol said:

I wouldn't worry about the physicality of our muzzy...he could always look after himself if memory serves!

I don't think Tim Davies needs to know that we want him back that much. I think he knows already. The problem is that word has it Muzzy's knee is shot and it doesn't look like he will be able to recover. If he can however, the club and Muzzy would be very keen on agreeing a pay as you play deal

Smiley Tom said:
I don't think Tim Davies needs to know that we want him back that much. I think he knows already. The problem is that word has it Muzzy's knee is shot and it doesn't look like he will be able to recover. If he can however, the club and Muzzy would be very keen on agreeing a pay as you play deal

Who are the 'we' that want him back? I think it is clear that a substantial number of people for one reason or another do not want him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69
9Nottm F69