Speculation Next Leicester manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Lee Clark storming the lower leagues business is all very well, but apart from MON, is there anybody else in the last 15 years that has come from League 1 or 2 and taken a team into the Premiership and kept them there?

Di Matteo, but it wasn't him who kept them there.

This Lee Clark storming the lower leagues business is all very well, but apart from MON, is there anybody else in the last 15 years that has come from League 1 or 2 and taken a team into the Premiership and kept them there?

Alan Curbishley with Charlton Athletic, took them up through the divisions and into the Prem. But that would require employing someone for 15 odd years and not sacking them if they slip back out of the top flight in the first season, so we're in the realms of pure fantasy.

Lee Clark is a risk.

That's every appointment though, isn't it? Getting the right manager isn't an exact science and the same bloke could have stunningly different results with different sets of players at different clubs using the same approach.

Radio Leicester reporting that Billy Davies, Dave Jones and Iain Dowie have all applied for the job.

Re: What do we know OFFICIALLY about the next Leicester Manager?

Their has been lots of rumours flying about all over the place about who is and who isn't going to be the next LCFC manager so let collect what we know in this thread that has come from OFFICIAL sources.

Il start us off with what i know and if anyone else can add to it then great.

Simon Grayson has said he does not want the job
Lee Clark has said he will not apply for the job

And most interesting of all, no official sources have confirmed that MON does not want the job.

He may not be seen to be applying or throwing his hat in the ring but I know for a fact that he does want the job.

Last edited:
Radio Leicester reporting that Billy Davies, Dave Jones and Iain Dowie have all applied for the job.

I hope they just laughed as soon as they had seen Dowie had applied and used his CV as a replacement for the toilet paper in the directors' rest room.

I do worry about the situation at the moment. Our owners are not football people. Dougie Freedman? He's doing a good job with Palace atm fair enough but he's never done anything impressive and you have to question if he's the type of manager that can handle such big expectations. Just get Billy Davies in and be done with it, if he's actually applied then no doubt he is the stand out candidate.

I've got a good idea, why don't we just accept whoever the owners choose and back them. Then in a month or two or maybe even three see how good they are doing!

I've got a good idea, why don't we just accept whoever the owners choose and back them. Then in a month or two or maybe even three see how good they are doing!

So we should just blindly follow whatever our owners do?

Yes, that's an astonishingly good idea.
In the meantime though, we won't be closing any threads or preventing anybody from discussing possible appointments.

Yes, but I would still be gutted if someone like Dowie or Keane was hired because I know we'd have turned down other managers who are quite clearly superior and yes, it would make me question the owners if they hired someone like. As it would a "flavour of the month" manager like Freedman based on 2 months work.

I'm still hoping (like Steve Claridge) that we are making a really serious attempt to lure MON here.

If it turns out that we haven't even fixed up a meeting to talk to him about it I'll be seriously disillusioned about the whole affair.

I'm still hoping (like Steve Claridge) that we are making a really serious attempt to lure MON here.

If it turns out that we haven't even fixed up a meeting to talk to him about it I'll be seriously disillusioned about the whole affair.

Aye

Iain feckin' Dowie.... Hopefully our Thai owners even know that's a bloody joke.

Given the list of possible candidates I'm with Steve Claridge. If a deal can be done with MON whereby he knows exactly what the score is and is happy then get him in. The possible downside is that a Prem club then comes in for him (which is what he really wants) he may be off before we know it. Of the other candidates; Roy Keane only ever did anything in that first season at Sunderland where they just got on an unstoppable roll. I could live with his attitude (though as a manager he seems less volatile than as a player) if he was successful, but I think he needs to prove he can hack it somewhere else.
Dave Jones had his chance of Prem football at Cardiff and couldn't do it there, would he be any different here? I don't think so.
Mark Hughes doesn't really want to manage at this level and perhaps thinks that he's better than he is, hence his antics at Fulham, so no thanks.
Karl Robinson, promising but too inexperienced. This would be too early for him.
Billy Davies knows this league inside out and would get us into the top 6 if he can stop himself falling out with the owners.
Lee Clark is my preferred second choice after MON. Was a terrific hard working footballer, has had good training as a coach and is now proving himself as a manager. In many ways reminds me of MON when we bought him in.

Whoever we get, there will be people slagging him off and doubting his ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669