Speculation Next Leicester manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave Jones had his chance of Prem football at Cardiff and couldn't do it there, would he be any different here? I don't think so.

He did manage it with Wolves though and Southampton.

Whoa! Kevin Keegan has just dropped to 4/1 second favourite at SkyBet. Now that appointment would excite me.

He did manage it with Wolves though and Southampton.

Southampton were in the Prem when he took over. At Wolves he blew it in his first season when they should have got automatic and lost in the play-off semi final. Second season went up winning the play-offs. Season in the Prem was a disaster as was his next season back in the Champioship.

The fact that Southampton were already there and he got Wolves promoted at his second attempt says that he didn't get his chance at Prem football how?

Jones certainly wouldn't be top of my list, but he's done a good job everywhere he's gone and is a good manager, I'd be happy with him and he's certainly much better than other candidates mentioned (Dowie, Keane, Strachan etc.).

Last edited:
This just been published.

"And the news is that the 39 year-old Geordie, whose ambition is to eventually manage his home town club, Newcastle United, seems next in line, and he’s now the bookie’s favorite."

See. He's not even here yet and already he wants to piss off to the Toon.

It will end in tears if we go for him.

You must lead a very sheltered life!

Seriously, you are joking aren't you.

How could you not be excited by Keegan?

Plays great attacking football. Wherever he's been given money (Newcastle, ManCity, Fulham) he's ended up winning the league and in the case of Newcastle and ManCity completely revitalising both clubs and took Newcastle very, very close to greatness.

With the exception of his second stint at Newcastle, in which he hardly did a bad job before Mike Ashley being a **** forced him out he has done a great job at every club job he's been in.

Last edited:
The fact that Southampton were already there and he got Wolves promoted at his second attempt says that he didn't get his chance at Prem football how?

Jones certainly wouldn't be top of my list, but he's done a good job everywhere he's gone and is a good manager, I'd be happy with him and he's certainly much better than a lot of other candidates mentioned.

I said that he had a chance (3) of Prem football with Cardiff and blew it, not that he'd never managed in the Prem.

I said that he had a chance (3) of Prem football with Cardiff and blew it, not that he'd never managed in the Prem.

You also said "and couldn't do it there, would he be any different here? I don't think so."

To which the obvious answer would be: he did it at Wolves.

Last edited:
How could you not be excited by Keegan?

Plays great attacking football. Wherever he's been given money (Newcastle, ManCity, Fulham) he's ended up winning the league and in the case of Newcastle and ManCity completely revitalising both clubs and took Newcastle very, very close to greatness.

With the exception of his second stint at Newcastle, in which he hardly did a bad job before Mike Ashley being a **** forced him out he has done a great job at every club job he's been in.

Because it would smack of desperation. Agreed he played great cavalier football but that was over 6 years ago. His second stint at Newcastle lasted 22 games. I just think he's been away too long. (Before you mention Dalglish, he was around and involved with the club between his managerial stints. Keegan hasn't)

You also said "and couldn't do it there, would he be any different here? I don't think so."

To which the obvious answer would be: he did it at Wolves.

Yes. I know he did it at Wolves. I just think that he wouldn't do any better here than he did at Cardiff where he couldn't emulate his "success" at Wolves.

6 years isn't that much. Certainly not in a division like the Championship in which the football has changed very little imo.

Time doesn't change how effective a motivator or how good a judger of player (which has always been KK's main strength) a manager is etc.

6 years isn't that much. Certainly not in a division like the Championship in which the football has changed very little imo.

Time doesn't change how effective a motivator or how good a judger of player (which has always been KK's main strength) a manager is etc.

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that Keegan's success was based on his ability to bring in "name" players rather than develop players nobody had heard of (as MON could do)

Big name or not, there's a difference between getting a player in because of their name and recognising players who will fit your system and do well for you.

Keegan would my my first choice. Some newspaper article or other mentioned that he was interested earlier in the week. I hope that's the case. As PR has said his record at this level with money to spend is superb. And the football would be great to watch. If there is the merest hint that he is interested then the owners should at the very least be picking up the phone to talk to him.

EDIT: Apparently tomorrow's Daily Mail has a backpage story on Keegan being DoF and Clark as manager.

Last edited:
Because it would smack of desperation. Agreed he played great cavalier football but that was over 6 years ago. His second stint at Newcastle lasted 22 games. I just think he's been away too long. (Before you mention Dalglish, he was around and involved with the club between his managerial stints. Keegan hasn't)

But the manager we just sacked last did anything of note over ten years ago. :icon_conf

Keegan has done one thing that endears me to him more than any other person 'out of the game': he's been enthusing kids with football. The man lives and breathes exciting, entertaining football - it's his raison d'etre. He's the total ****ing antithesis of Gary Megson.

The Keegan/Clark rumour makes sense to me having thought a little about it. Keegan is the name the Thais are after, and he knows the level of player needed to succeed in this league. Clark is a gamble (as is any new appointment, I suppose) in that he hasn't managed at this level, but he has impressed at Huddersfield with both the football and the results. And if he turns out to be shit, King Kev would be there to step in. I think I'd like it to happen.

Managers with names in the hat not on same level as sven

Hi all this is my first thread,

Having seen the personnel who have publicly said they want the job, are IMO not in the same league as Sven. City appointed Sven because he was big time and could attract big names and up and coming players, I would personally would be dismayed if the likes of hughes, jones and co are given the nod. City need to appoint a new manager within the next two weeks, looking at are games in december and january wo will be in a strong position. Dimatteo or O'neil would cut the mustard, Please dont go for Billy shitpants, he squandered a fortune with the trees:icon_bigg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669