Speculation Nicky Maynard

Status
Not open for further replies.
come to think of it most promoted teams (Auto) tend to be more defensive than attacking ie they go up with few goals conceded?

if we going to finish top 2 we need to be especially better away, even the best teams rely on 1-0s been grinding out a lot away.

come to think of it most promoted teams (Auto) tend to be more defensive than attacking ie they go up with few goals conceded?

West Brom? Swansea? Blackpool? Burnley?

Total myth imo.

And I realise he wrote auto, but I'm not bothered which way we go up. I'd add Norwich and arguably Newcastle to that list as well. Wolves also conceded 52 goals when they won the title.

No difference between attacking or defensive teams who go up, if anything, it's been in favour of patient, attacking teams like ours in recent years.

Last edited:
Also, that article you posted kind of backs up the fact we need a goalscorer, doesn't it? Or a good finisher at least, because it goes on about how we create(d) so many chances but were poor at finishing them.

Not really because it shows that goals from all around the team are more important.

You're right, but having defenders who can win the ball, win headers and not pass the ball to opposition teams would help as well.

Not really because it shows that goals from all around the team are more important.

In that case is it not even more worrying that our finishing is poor from all around the team?

Last edited:
You're right, but having defenders who can win the ball, win headers and not pass the ball to opposition teams would help as well.

Just like Bamba did then :icon_roll

In that case is it not even more worrying that our finishing is poor from all around the team?

We still scored more goals than we have done for a long time though. Add Danns (10 last year), Mills (6 last year), Nugent (14 last year) and with whoever else is to come in, I would say we've added to our goal threat all around the pitch.

People like Routledge and Maynard (should we get them) scoring something like 8 and 15 respectively would be fine.

People get too hung up on one man scoring 20/25 goals.

Last edited:
We still scored more goals than we have done for a long time though. Add Danns (10 last year), Mills (6 last year), Nugent (14 last year) and with whoever else is to come in, I would say we've added to our goal threat all around the pitch.

People like Routledge and Maynard (should we get them) scoring something like 8 and 15 respectively would be fine.

People get too hung up on one man scoring 20/25 goals.

Fair enough, but I certainly think we will need to be among the top scorers in the division and our finishing will need to improve, whether this be through one or two strikers or from all over the pitch, if we want to go up next season. I really can't see us doing what Birmingham did a couple of years ago and going up with a paltry goals scored tally but an exceptional (i.e. exceptionally low) goals conceded tally.

Last edited:
Fair enough, but I certainly think we will need to be among the top scorers in the division and our finishing will need to improve, whether this be through one or two strikers or from all over the pitch, if we want to go up next season. I really can't see us doing what Birmingham did a couple of years ago and going up with a paltry goals scored tally but an exceptional (i.e. exceptionally low) goals conceded tally.

I can't seeing us do that either. I'm just saying it's not imperative to have a top scorer, as fox blogger pointed out more people have been promoted without a 20 goal a year man than those with one. Those teams have had people chipping in with /9/10/11/12 all over the place.

Sometimes players are due a "loyalty bonus" if they're sold without asking for a transfer, but that's not linked to the transfer fee.

Nice life being a footballer isn't it?

"Well...you're shite & we're getting rid of you but since you didn't ASK to leave here's a massive wad of cash & good luck to you"

I have clearly wasted my life.I should have been a pro footballer,an investment banker or a National Rail exec.Then I could happily insulate myself from the irritating condition called 'reality'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669