Speculation Nicky Maynard

Status
Not open for further replies.
they are being turned down by defenders...so obviously not splashing cash, or looking to buy a striker

Maynard is back from holibobs, but hasn't signed a new contract...

Getting Maynard and getting rid of Waghorn at the same time? Fantastic stuff! Talk about killing 2 birds with one stone.

Last edited:
waggy dosent seem to be hitting any form at all at present ,is he trying to hard (i cant help but feel sorry for the guy) ,hes certainly not playing as well as he did under nigel pearson

waggy dosent seem to be hitting any form at all at present ,is he trying to hard (i cant help but feel sorry for the guy) ,hes certainly not playing as well as he did under nigel pearson
Same happened to Hobbs - so what does that tell you?

is he (he is) trying to hard (i cant help but feel sorry for the guy)

I think this is a perfect example of everything that's wrong with Waghorn to begin with. Some fans deify him because he works hard and cries when he misses crucial penalties, but really it just masks the fact that he has the the footballing intelligence of a shrew and is simply not good enough.

Same happened to Hobbs - so what does that tell you?

That they were both suited to hoof ball with overly protected and very deep defences, but not much else?

Last edited:
Dare i say S.G.E?

Is it also no coincidence that the most technically gifted players we had under Pearson: Wellens, King and Gallagher have all performed much, much better under SGE than they ever did under NP? :102:

Is it also no coincidence that the most technically gifted players we had under Pearson: Wellens, King and Gallagher have all performed much, much better under SGE than they ever did under NP? :102:

Absolutely.

Waghorn and Dyer are on borrowed time, one suspects.

A good point. Another thing I have noticed is that Sven likes fast defenders. That may be why Morrison, Berner and Hobbs have been discarded or with Berner out of favour.

In a previous post Profondo mentioned fans who deify Waghorn. I do not deify him. I do have an affection for any player who gives everything for the cause. This is why I have had an affection for Dany, Michael Morrison, Nicky Adams and Waghorn - but that does not mean I am not pleased to see them displaced by better players.

As for Wellens, King and Gallagher they have had a pre-season with Sven.
I am not sure that Wellens is capable of playing any better.
Sven has pointed out in the past that King needs to contribute more to the game and no doubt he has been working on that - it is possible he might become the best midfielder in the Championship this year.
Under Nigel Pearson I felt that the times that Paul Gallagher while he had occasional moments of brilliance he too often gave the ball awaty and his poor tacklling made him a liability.Last season he greatly improved and while I prefer to watch Dyer it was clear that Gallagher merited his place in the team. Hopefully the pre-season will have improved him still more.

I was just playing devil's advocate with the deification point, DG. ;) Though my general points about fans overrating him because he works hard, him being a very mediocre player and him having very poor footballing intelligence (all in my humble opinion of course) still stand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670