Speculation Nicky Maynard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would personally say 3.5 million tops. Anything more than that I think we should look elsewhere, considering that Danny Graham went for that amount.

Has been known for player to sign an extension in order for the selling club to get a larger transfer fee.

But why would the player do that? He will get a much bigger signing on fee from a new club if that club pays a nominal fee for him ( less than a year to go on his contract ) or even more if he runs his contract down and his new club get him on a free. OK, he'll get a fee from Brizzle for extending his contract ( and higher wages as well for the period he stays there ), but I would have thought that in the long run he would get far more by not signing a new contract, especially as he knows he is in demand.

The wording of the official Bristol City statement has changed over the last hour or so. It originally said 'cerainly would not sell to another championship club' and 'remain confident he will sign a new deal'. It now says 'would not wish to sell to another championship club' and 'remain hopeful he will sign a new deal'. Also a story on skysports website saying the rejected bid was from Leicester.

IMO he won't be staying at Bristol City at all. I've been reading some Bristol City forums and they reckon a move to Leicester would be a sideways move. Ridiculous really. Bigger club, better chance at promotion, most likely will be able to better his wages - I'd have thought it's a no brainer myself!

Fourth_Official on Twitter: 'Rotherham United forward Ryan Taylor has signed for Bristol City, paving the way for Maynard to leave'

It seems another bid of maybe £3 million and we may have our man..

The wording of the official Bristol City statement has changed over the last hour or so. It originally said 'cerainly would not sell to another championship club' and 'remain confident he will sign a new deal'. It now says 'would not wish to sell to another championship club' and 'remain hopeful he will sign a new deal'.

Cheers TSUK, that's an interesting change in wording.

Cheers TSUK, that's an interesting change in wording.

Well I thought it could be potentially significant. Why would you do that otherwise? There is obviously some doubt there. Could indicate further developments have taken place behind the scenes since they originally put up the statement.

Like I said I'd be very surprised if he stays there, but you can't blame them for trying to squeeze as much out of the transfer as possible.

Rotherham United forward Ryan Taylor has now signed for Bristol City. Obviously they were waiting for a replacement before letting Maynard go. Now let's hope Nugent follows suit.
Bye bye Yak, never ever fit enough or committed enough for life in the Championship.....

Scoop.

Yeah, what was he thinking of, scoring and creating all those goals instead of running from corner flag to corner flag after endless lost causes like Paul Dickov on amphetamines? ****'s sake. Get a grip.

There's no telling them BM. I've discovered that there's a very close correlation between people who think Yakubu is shit and people who know **** all about football. I've actualy started asking them their opinion of Yakubu because it's a fairly reliable indicator as to whether a Leicester fan's footballing opinion is worth listening to.

The same theory usually works with Huuuuuuuuuuume as well - if they deify him because he works hard and runs about like, as you so eloquently put it, 'Paul Dickov on amphetamines', their footballing opinions usually become null and void in my eyes.

Last edited:
Except one part hasn't change or if it did, it's changed back to 'certainly would not'

Interesting. Seems that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Maybe I'm reading way, way, way too much into this, but there could be a bit of a disagreement between some members of the board as to whether they should sell Maynard or not? It's not good practice to see a statement chopped and changed around like that, and if we've picked up on it, you can bet that the Bristol City fans have too. I wouldn't be too happy if I were one of them.

There's no telling them BM. I've discovered that there's a very close correlation between people who think Yakubu is shit and people who know **** all about football. I've actualy started asking them their opinion of Yakubu because it's a fairly reliable indicator as to whether a Leicester fan's footballing opinion is worth listening to.

The same theory usually works with Huuuuuuuuuuume as well - if they deify him because he works hard and runs about like, as you so eloquently put it, 'Paul Dickov on amphetamines', their footballing opinions usually become null and void in my eyes.

Just for the record, I actually think the Yak is a great player and excellent goal scorer. He just never seems to put a full shift of effort into his game. That's probably down to lack of fitness, worry about his previous bad injury recurring, or just his attitude. He could be so much better. There's a reason why Moyes doesn't want him any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669