Speculation Nicky Maynard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for the record, I actually think the Yak is a great player and excellent goal scorer. He just never seems to put a full shift of effort into his game. That's probably down to lack of fitness, worry about his previous bad injury recurring, or just his attitude. He could be so much better. There's a reason why Moyes doesn't want him any longer.

I've said it so many times, it is a fallacy that you have to run around and put 'effort' in to be a top striker. Tracking back, expending energy on lost causes... it's not a part of Yakubu's game. Unless he's got a chance to score, he doesn't waste any time or effort in chasing down a lost cause.

Some people then suggest wrongly that Yakubu's style of play leaves us in trouble, or exposed, because he won't track back. I put it to them that this NOT a striker's job. The rest of the team should be able to cope with the fact that the striker's job is to stay up top and try to score goals. I don't know why people think changing his game would make him a better striker, or make him score more goals; IMO it could make him a worse player. His natural fitness levels obviously aren't the best, so his current method of playing obviously works for him - short, sharp burts of power and energy when a goalscoring opportunity presents itself. When people are moaning that you're 'only' scoring a goal every other game, then you know you can't win and that people are basing their arguments on the fact that they simply don't like the player for whatever reason - a perceived attitude problem, a perceived lack of effort - all that matters to me are the results, not how they are achieved and if Yakubu's goal ratio had contined like that for the whole season, he would've scored at least 20 goals, something we've not had from a single player for years (discounting Fryatt's season in the third tier).

Like you say, his goal scoring record is irrefutable and he is undoubtedly not as fit as he could be - which is more down to a lack of match practice than anything else. If he has such a good ratio of goals-to-games when he's not even fully fit, just think what he could be like after a full pre-season and full match fitness.

I've said it so many times, it is a fallacy that you have to run around and put 'effort' in to be a top striker. Tracking back, expending energy on lost causes... it's not a part of Yakubu's game. Unless he's got a chance to score, he doesn't waste any time or effort in chasing down a lost cause.

Some people then suggest wrongly that Yakubu's style of play leaves us in trouble, or exposed, because he won't track back. I put it to them that this NOT a striker's job. The rest of the team should be able to cope with the fact that the striker's job is to stay up top and try to score goals. I don't know why people think changing his game would make him a better striker, or make him score more goals; IMO it could make him a worse player. His natural fitness levels obviously aren't the best, so his current method of playing obviously works for him - short, sharp burts of power and energy when a goalscoring opportunity presents itself. When people are moaning that you're 'only' scoring a goal every other game, then you know you can't win and that people are basing their arguments on the fact that they simply don't like the player for whatever reason - a perceived attitude problem, a perceived lack of effort - all that matters to me are the results, not how they are achieved and if Yakubu's goal ratio had contined like that for the whole season, he would've scored at least 20 goals, something we've not had from a single player for years (discounting Fryatt's season in the third tier).

Like you say, his goal scoring record is irrefutable and he is undoubtedly not as fit as he could be - which is more down to a lack of match practice than anything else. If he has such a good ratio of goals-to-games when he's not even fully fit, just think what he could be like after a full pre-season and full match fitness.

I agree with what you are saying. If Maynard comes, we may get a much younger striker on lower wages that has at least as good a scoring record as Yakubu and that may be a preference to some. It doesn't mean that the Yak is rubbish. I don't see how anyone can put that argument forward with his record at City alone.

Don't get me wrong, if we can't get Yakubu I'd love to see Maynard playing for us, if he can get over his injury problems he'll be fantastic - at the moment though, it's a bit of an expensive gamble.

I do find it a bit rich when people moan about Yakubu's injury problems and fitness and then say Maynard would be a great signing...

Latest report from Sky Sports:

Bristol City boss Keith Millen is set to hold talks with Nicky Maynard in a bid to convince the Leicester target to commit his long-term future to the club.

City have turned down a bid from Leicester for the 24-year-old striker, which was believed to be between £2.5million and £3m.

Chairman Colin Sexstone revealed two other Championship clubs have enquired about Maynard, who has a year left on his contract, with Nottingham Forest, Southampton and West Ham Unitedunderstood to be interested.

But the Robins have offered the former Crewe trainee an extension and are hopeful Millen can persuade him to sign a new deal.

"We don't want to sell Nicky - we want to keep him," Sexstone told the Bristol Evening Post.

"Nicky is still away on holiday, but when they report back next week, the manager is going to chat to him.

"He has always indicated to us that he wants to stay, but if he indicates that he doesn't want to stay, then that puts a different complexion on it.

"But we don't want to sell him - and we certainly don't want to sell him to a Championship club."

However, if Maynard indicates he does not want to sign a new deal then the club will be keen to get back the £2.25m they paid Crewe to sign him rather than let him leave on a free transfer when his current contract expires.

And with at least three clubs having already expressed an interest, that could spark a summer auction for Maynard.

"Until Nicky signs a contract here - or doesn't - the speculation and interest from other clubs will continue, because he is a good player," Sexstone added.

"I don't imagine this will be the last inquiry we have for him - in fact, we have had two more clubs express their interest. We have had a direct offer from one club and informal inquiries from two other Championship clubs.

"Those clubs haven't made us an offer, but there was one phone call and one email asking would we be interested in letting him go and, if so, how much would we want?

"The answer to both was 'no' - but it means people are circling and I don't expect this will be the end of it."

Millen's squad reports back for pre-season training next Friday and the City boss will sit down with Maynard, who has scored 37 goals in 85 league starts since arriving at Ashton Gate in July 2008.

"Keith will talk with Nicky, as he will with all the players, next Friday," said Sexstone.

"Nicky has indicated to us he wants to stay at Bristol City and he is happy here - and we all want him to confirm that that remains the case.

Interesting that he concedes:
"If he indicates that he doesn't want to stay, then that puts a different complexion on it".

The bit about other teams being interested sounds like someone trying to drive the price up to me.

There's no telling them BM. I've discovered that there's a very close correlation between people who think Yakubu is shit and people who know **** all about football. I've actualy started asking them their opinion of Yakubu because it's a fairly reliable indicator as to whether a Leicester fan's footballing opinion is worth listening to.

The same theory usually works with Huuuuuuuuuuume as well - if they deify him because he works hard and runs about like, as you so eloquently put it, 'Paul Dickov on amphetamines', their footballing opinions usually become null and void in my eyes.

I've discovered that most rarely attend games and tend to base their thoughts on what Alan Young has to say about him.

Another Twitter update from Fourth Official (seems to be pretty accurate, so seems worth posting to me, but I'm sure some/many will disagree).

He (?) says that we've made an improved offer now of £3.25m for Maynard.

This £4m+ waghorn came from someone on bentleys saying they heard it on the radio. Nobody else had heard it though so I call bull shit.

I assume this is us:

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10327~2387236,00.html

CITY REJECT TWO NICKY BIDS
Posted on: Wed 06 Jul 2011

City have rejected two further bids from an unnamed npower Championship club for Nicky Maynard.

The formal offers came from the same club who tabled a bid two weeks ago, which was also rejected.

City chairman Colin Sexstone told bcfc.co.uk: "Once again we have made clear our position. We do not wish to sell Nicky, especially to a rival club in our division.

"Talks continue with Nicky and his representatives with regards to a new contract."

Now we just need Maynard to come out and say he doesn't want to stay any longer and balls to the new contract as he doesn't really seem to be in any hurry to sign one!!

Bristol City are going to finish off with a disgruntled player for the new season and no fee for him at the end of it.

Now we just need Maynard to come out and say he doesn't want to stay any longer and balls to the new contract as he doesn't really seem to be in any hurry to sign one!!

But he's not going to say that when it will cost him money.

Last edited:
Certainly seems a strange ploy for the club to officially announce they've rejected bids from a player on their OS.

Certainly seems a strange ploy for the club to officially announce they've rejected bids from a player on their OS.

They're just trying to make their fans think they're doing everything possible to keep their best players. Then when they do sell him they can blame the player for wanting to leave despite the club doing everything they could to persuade him to stay.

They're just trying to make their fans think they're doing everything possible to keep their best players. Then when they do sell him they can blame the player for wanting to leave despite the club doing everything they could to persuade him to stay.

Yeah, but it just seems strange as it could easily disgruntle the player meaning they'll end up being able to get less for him, unless they want an unhappy player on their books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669