Oldham

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am unsure what we could have done to change it much, they were the better team on the day. Disappointed we didn't test Windass more however.

Imo our midfield was either by-passed or anonymous. We really needed someone to put a foot on the ball and play one of the strikers in , rather than being so reliant on Howards bonce.

Get a grip people - give Oldham some credit.

Absolutely! Oldham are easily one of the best teams we have played against, they were very tough to break down and looked dangerous on the break.

It's pretty shocking that Fryatt didn't hit the target, let alone score from the penalty. But other than that, they were worth the draw.

not for the first time this season we have been out muscled in midfield.

should have brought berner on for gilbert who was gash,pushed oakley out on the right.

and cleverly to right back.

we offered nothing from the right,and very surprised NP did not do anything quicker.

very predictable at times and the passing was sloppy.

but saying that we still created the better chances and if one of those shots had gone in before half time,i think we would have kicked on a won comfortably.

It says something that we are disappointed with a draw this season.
I had a feeling this would be a difficult game, and on this evidence Oldham will be well capable of taking points off our main rivals.

Which they have been doing. I think a lot of fans seem to forget that whilst we are sitting pretty at the top of the league, there's quite a fight going on to get that second place as it stands, and Oldham are up there chasing MK Dons along with Scunthorpe and Millwall.

I'm annoyed we didn't take our chances to win the game, but I know that this season, more often than not we will do. This was an off-day for us, thankfully we haven't had many of them.

WE would've been better off if the keeper had stayed on I reckon!

Last edited:
Fair play to Oldham. A side who actually came with a proper set of tactics and didn't buck when they had 10 men. I though Sheridan showed himself to be a superb tactican when they went down to 10 men with him telling Taylor and Smalley still to bomb forward. Clearly seen the early half of the season where our midfield just didn't like the challenge of a battle. We didn't win a single second ball. Plus no attacking guile, naivety throughtout the side and then no patience or urgency when required.

It's what to expect off a team which on the whole was young tonight. Oldham clearly had the experience factor and knew how to tame us. You just have those days - time for persective esp. when I see stuff like Sheff United and Wolves fans comments tonight elsewhere. Probably the ideal warning to us again.

We'd had luck across the season and today it's the turn for us not to have the luck - whether the peno, Howard's shot or Cleverley's effort. I don't think any player earned their crust today bar Martin who looked solid with everything threw at him. Mozza and Hobbsy couldn't handle Hughes. Gilbo's awareness is still lacking. Really disappointed Oakley and King appeared to be chasing shadows after such an excellent performance in the week. Also disappointed Pearson didn't change it but I suppose he's trying to show belief in what we have rather than looks for changes all the time a la Holloway.

7 wins out of 16 game - we'll probably go up as champions. Provided Millwall don't win all 4 games in hand, we will still clear by some distance at the top. We will do it!

Can't blame Fryatt - got us out of the shite at Orient, Hudds and against Brizzle Rovers.

Last edited:
You had to smile at old windyarse going in nets! I dont think we were that bad at all today, and eh, we top of the fecking league, who cares about one draw?

We were totally outplayed and should be grateful for the point. Well played Oldham.

Gregan did a cracking job on Howard. Hughes (much as I loathe the man) was outstanding and Taylor looked a class player who should have had a pen.

Our passing was all over the place and, with Dyer again totally anonymous and Howard out of the game, we had no clue how to create anything. Without an early goal, we still look a bit clueless at home this season despite the results.

Why is Dickov on the bench ahead of Hayles? With 20 mins left, we needed a fresh impact up front but Dickov wasn't it.

'Loathe' is a pretty strong emotion, any particular reason?

I think there's a pretty obvious reason, however our fans who chanted murderer were just doing it for cheap laughs and weren't showing any respect for the victim. Personally I thought it was in poor taste.

I think there's a pretty obvious reason, however our fans who chanted murderer were just doing it for cheap laughs and weren't showing any respect for the victim. Personally I thought it was in poor taste.

I don't see the mistakes that he made any reason to 'loathe' the man, not unless I was closely related to the accident victim.

I don't see the mistakes that he made any reason to 'loathe' the man, not unless I was closely related to the accident victim.

So why do you care so much about the Palestinians or the Iraqis. Are you closely related to any of them?

So why do you care so much about the Palestinians or the Iraqis. Are you closely related to any of them?

WTF?!?!
Are you seriously comparing Lee Hughes with fascist regimes slaughtering innocent civilians?????

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Take more water with it for f**ks sake Major!
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

'Loathe' is a pretty strong emotion, any particular reason?

I'm utterly indifferent to him as it goes.

Just think he has no place in the game. He's not worthy of it. This is from Stuart Frisby and was printed on Soccerlens:

"When Lee Hughes left a Coventry pub in November 2003, having allegedly consumed large quantities of alcohol and cocaine - he got behind the wheel of his £100,000 Mercedes, he made a decision akin to pulling a trigger.

The West Bromwich Albion and former Coventry City striker was then involved in a sickening traffic incident, where his vehicle - traveling on the wrong side of a dark Meriden road - hit that of my uncle, Albert Frisby - killing one passenger, and seriously injuring my uncle and one other.

The footballer, leaving the occupants of the other vehicle for dead, fled the scene of the accident, and was not seen for thirty six hours, before he subsequently handed himself in to the Coventry police, having conveniently cleansed his body of the toxicants which would have added a significant period to his imprisonment had they been detected at the scene.

This August Hughes will be released after serving only three years of his paltry six year sentence. He is now courting an offer from Oldham football club, which would see him return to the professional game next season, to start rebuilding his career in the game.

There has been much said about the approach of Oldham Athletic, and the questionable ethics of the people behind this decision, but the upshot of it is that our national game, watched weekly by millions us of, will next season take back to it’s ranks a man who committed a cowardly and deadly crime. He killed and injured innocent people, and then showed his complete lack of compassion by leaving them to die.

Legally of course, the FA could not stop Lee Hughes from returning to the sport, there are all sorts of employment laws which would be broken should his return to work be blocked. And who can blame Oldham? For a League One club, Hughes is an exciting proposition, a player they will sign for free, and pay an average wage could score the goals which take Oldham a step closer to promotion to the Championship.

It is a risk free signing, and should it pay off, could be - financially at least - very rewarding. The fickle nature of football suggests that if Hughes scores a few goals, the Oldham fans will soon be chanting his name from the terraces of Boundary Park.

The shame in this lies again at doorstep of Mr Hughes. When he is released, he should do the decent thing and shy away from the public spotlight, ply his chosen trade abroad should he so wish. The vision of Hughes trotting out at boundary park will bring anger and grief back to those people most affected by his idiocy.

The family of the deceased Mr Graham, and his wife who has also since died. My uncle, who must everyday live with the consequences of what happened, he will live the rest of his life in almost constant pain, and will never walk unaided again. His wife who had to give up work to tend to her husband, and his children who have been so affected by their fathers deteriorating health, and independence.

There are many facets to this story which raise important and unanswered questions.

Why was the sentence so short?

Why, after only serving 3 years is he even being considered for parole? His behavioral record in prison does not make him an obvious candidate for early release.

Why was he allowed to leave a pub full of people who knew he was not fit to drive, and get behind his wheel?

Hughes - people will say - has served his time. The price you pay for killing one person, and seriously injuring at least one other is apparently now 3 years. The British Justice system should be ashamed, because long after this despicable coward is released from prison, there will still be people suffering because of what he did in November 2003.

Here’s to hoping that football fans take longer to forget what this man did that the Board of Oldham Athletic seem to have done, and that they remind him at every opportunity of his failings as a human being".

I don't like him as a player. Mardy-arsed tosspot most of the time, complaining to refs about decisions when he does exactly the same sort of thing and expects to get away with it.

And he was lucky not to be shown a second yellow for stupidly kicking the ball away late on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69
9Nottm F69