Oldham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just think he has no place in the game. He's not worthy of it.

I agree. Booze and coke, gets in his Mercedes, wrong side of the road, kills a man, and seriously maims another.

Why is this treated more leniently, in sentencing, than a guy high on crack, who happens to have a different kind of lethal weapon from a car - a knife maybe - who also kills?

I'd have some respect for him as a human being if:

1. He'd stayed at the scene instead of running away.

2. He spent the rest of his life helping disadvantaged kids to play football

However, he did none of those things, plays for Oldham, and whatever.... Let him, them, and their fans get their heads around the ethics and morality of what it means to be a 'professional' and square it with their beliefs and conscience. It has very little to do with our performance today which was tired and shoddy and a bit sad, but just one of those days, against a competent battling side built like brick privvies and with pace and determination.

And all due respect to Windass. He's the hero of today's game. My MOTM. Never thought I'd say that...........

2. He spent the rest of his life helping disadvantaged kids to play football

He does a lot of work with getting young kids doing something constructive with their life when leaving prison at an early age. He was in 'The Sun' today - apparently the first time he's ever given an interview through the media.

Quoted
“I work with the police on courses where we take young offenders, joyriders mostly, to try to show them what the consequences of their actions can be. “They see what it is like in jail and I tell them what happened to me, how they can ruin other people’s lives as well as their own. It’s not easy for me to have to go through what happened again.
“But, hopefully, it will make others think about what they are doing and, maybe, avoid a tragedy. I don’t like talking about all that, because I want to move on and show that I have become a better person.
But doing this is a part of that.”

Tonight was the first time he's been on the telly live since he's come back into football.

Personally, I don't like the bloke but he was superb tonight. It gets on my nerves the way he carries himself on a football pitch. He doesn't keep his head and loves to celebrate in front of opposition fans and in a crude manner.

Also the article included this
While behind bars, he met the daughter of his victim and helped organise a charity match that raised £5,000 for a children’s hospice.

When released, Hughes made a public apology and said: “In going some way to facing my responsibilities, I have met with a relative of the man who died.
"What was said will always remain a private and personal matter but, for different reasons, I think we were both glad the meeting occurred.
“I made dreadful mistakes and decisions that will live with me for the rest of my life. It also greatly affected my immediate family, including my wife and children, and I will never forgive myself for this.”

Last edited:
Just think he has no place in the game. He's not worthy of it.

It has precisely f**k all to do with football.

He's just an idiot who f**ked up, the same as thousands of others do every day.
I would not waste my time expending a single emotion where he's concerned.

Yes. But he fcked up/killed other lives, too. Big time. That's the emotional issue.

Hey ho. Nowt to get our morals in a twist over, eh? :) Let's forget it. That's always best.

"and helped organise a charity match that raised £5,000 for a children’s hospice."

Hoo bleeding ray.

That must be less than a week's earnings.

Why didn't he just put his hand in his pocket?

he should still be behind bars after what he did people get longer for murder a knife or a car they are both weapons he should thank his lucky stars that oldham took him on

Yes. But he fcked up/killed other lives, too. Big time. That's the emotional issue.

Yes, but he has been dealt with and none of it has had any impact on me at all so there is no way that I could 'loathe' him as an individual because of it.
He's just a meaningless f**kup in the scheme of things, as far as I'm concerned.

he should still be behind bars after what he did people get longer for murder a knife or a car they are both weapons he should thank his lucky stars that oldham took him on

That's another argument entirely. I can understand people getting pissed off with the justice system.

Back to the game :icon_roll

I thought it was a shameful performance of sheer unadulterated incompetence

Fryatt was awful all game, regardless of the penalty miss - and apart from Oakley yhe rest of 'em weren't far behind

The fact that when Windass went in goal and we failed to pepper the area with crosses and shots at goal is a disgrace of the highest order. Cleverly was hopeless in the right, and Dyer had yet another pointless game. Changes should have been made much earlier

And for the champagne quaffing promotion partyers, if the games in hand are won then the gap is down to nine points, and closing fast

Well, if the 'gap is closing fast' just because we draw a couple, then that really isn't something to get too worked up about Homer. It's completely unrealistic to suggest that when City draw all our rivals will win each and every game.

if the games in hand are won then the gap is down to nine points, and closing fast
This time last week we were 10 pts clear of MK Dons. Currently we're 11 pts clear, but they do have a game in hand, as you say.

If they win that, the gap will be down to 8 pts, two less than last week. If they lose it, we will have extended our lead at the top.

I think the language and tone you have chosen to make the above statement "closing fast", is possibly of Drama Queen proportions.

My opinion about some people in football is not totally formed by football itself. I judge people in terms of what I know about them.

I loathe Hughes as a person but respect him as a footballer. His performance yesterday was excellent. His behaviour a few years back was horrendous. He didn't just feck up, he did several things that are unforgivable and he only began to take responsibility for it when he had no other option.

I wouldn't waste my time or thoughts on him but for the fact that he was right there in front of me for a couple of hours yesterday. I found it a distasteful experience. I'd really rather not have to know anything about him, ever again.

I couldn't help but notice yesterday how young and naive our team was, and it showed. We only had 3 players over the age of 23 playing yesterday.

Just watching the 'highlights'

Clear peno for Oldham....

WTF?!?!
Are you seriously comparing Lee Hughes with fascist regimes slaughtering innocent civilians?????

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Take more water with it for f**ks sake Major!
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Wasn't Lee Hughes' victim innocent too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673