Palace Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i thought what was really good about last night was that it was one of those games where the two teams were pretty evenly matched and there wasnt much to choose between them. earlier in the season and last season as well those were just the sort of games we tended to lose so it was really good to see us just showing that bit of quality and determination to edge it.

it hopefully indicates that we're maybe developing a little bit of a killer instinct. was also nice that we finished the game off, was particularly relieved that we'd got a 2nd when the board showing 4 minutes of time added went up!

Boy Genius said:
Rules are rules and he was not interfering with play so its a goal. Makes up for the times when he is waved offside and he is not.

If he's not interfering with play why is he on the pitch....:icon_wink

Like I said last week after the Norwich penalty, these things even up over a season.

KisNOBoff has converted me from thinking he was absolute shite to a good Championship standard player.

Average game, City's defence has meaner and that help. Nils is terribly slow and his passing is about as good as mine but his positional work and body strength is top notch.

We have quite a lot of lightweight fairies on our team though.

And Did I See Sylla tackle someone and send him flying?!??

Hazzman said:
KisNOBoff has converted me from thinking he was absolute shite to a good Championship standard player.

Average game, City's defence has meaner and that help. Nils is terribly slow and his passing is about as good as mine but his positional work and body strength is top notch.

We have quite a lot of lightweight fairies on our team though.

And Did I See Sylla tackle someone and send him flying?!??

Yes you did. :eek: . He had 2 touches of the ball in 15 mins. :biggrin:

some more comments from me.

henderson - first time I seen him play in 1st team, agree he isnt great, but I think he is a defenite improvement over douglas.

johannsen - have noticed under kelly he goes forward alot more.

in general under kelly we are more lethal going forward and can counter attack fast, so while we may have more hoofing our cutting edge increases, we can now win games we dont dominate.

Chrysalis said:
some more comments from me.

henderson - first time I seen him play in 1st team, agree he isnt great, but I think he is a defenite improvement over douglas.

johannsen - have noticed under kelly he goes forward alot more.

in general under kelly we are more lethal going forward and can counter attack fast, so while we may have more hoofing our cutting edge increases, we can now win games we dont dominate.

I think some of the improvement in counter attcking is down to Gareth Williams passing from midfield.

Duzza said:
I think some of the improvement in counter attcking is down to Gareth Williams passing from midfield.

Agree, he might be "lazy" but his passing is one of the reasons to our current success.

Duzza said:

More likely because we have two strikers with a lot of movement who create space to pass into.

Williams was OK but not great last night, but it's the first time he's had an OK game for a long time.
Don't know whether his improvement last night was because we were on TV, or because his goal last week gave him some confidence.

Mike - True Blue Tinter said:
Tremendous skill from Fryatt to set up the second goal. Gets my vote as 'assist of the season'.

Aside from being delighted that it meant we'd won, my first thought at this moment in time was "shit, I wish he hadn't done that live on national TV in front of all the premier league scouts"!

Williams was my MOM, the reason been he stood out. Fryatt also stood out to me and reminds me of dickov the way he harrasses defenders.

webmaster said:
More likely because we have two strikers with a lot of movement who create space to pass into.

Williams was OK but not great last night, but it's the first time he's had an OK game for a long time.
Don't know whether his improvement last night was because we were on TV, or because his goal last week gave him some confidence.

Thats also helped no end.

Unfortunatley it is necessary to question Mr Williams motives purely because he has looked so disinterested during most of his time here. Personally, I now hope he settles now and becomes the player I think he can be next season.

It was a game of 2 halves we were the best team in the first and Palace the best in the second but it was great to come away from the ground with a 2-0win and everyone walking back to their cars and pubs etc were in high spirits unlike December & January when we were all on a low ebb.

RK has certainly turned our fortunes around and IMO will be handed the job in the summer and will probably bring in an experienced midfielder to support our youngsters, perhaps not Muzzy or Lennon as they wouldn't take a cut in wages but certainly someone with their pedigree (suggestions please).

Williams had a good first half as his passing was quality at times but he doesn't get my vote as a permanent fixture next season where as Hughsie does (central position) but he needs to eat a few rump steaks in the summer as this season he has been too lightweight but as he showed last night if he receives a good pass in and around the box he will score.

Not sure if we also need another keeper as both Rab & Hendo do not command their area enough and are very suspect on set pieces. :icon_conf

Agree on the 'keepers, but thought Hughes was rarely in the game on Friday night, although he got better in the last 15 mins - starting off the move for the second goal and finished it well. Rangers fans thought he had potential but was much too lightweight and I think this still applies (plus he is getting played in a number of positions, where he is probably best in the middle with a tough tackling partner).

Gudjonsson had a poor game and this cannot help Williams and Hughes to shine (although Williams had a good game).

Granite Fox said:
Agree on the 'keepers, but thought Hughes was rarely in the game on Friday night, although he got better in the last 15 mins - starting off the move for the second goal and finished it well. Rangers fans thought he had potential but was much too lightweight and I think this still applies (plus he is getting played in a number of positions, where he is probably best in the middle with a tough tackling partner).

Gudjonsson had a poor game and this cannot help Williams and Hughes to shine (although Williams had a good game).

Sadly I think Hughes is too lightweight for the demands of the Championship,not a bad player just not suited for this League IMO.

Hughes would be a better player in the Premiership IMO, he has the flair and the skill, and he won't have any big Taggart-style defenders pushing him off the ball.

I've heard that said about Wiliams on here recently.

Bollox is all I can say. You have to have a good grounding to be at the top of any profession, you can only expect to go straight in at the top if you are a genius, even then, a genius could still ply his trade at any level.

It's simple, if you aint good enough in on league, you won't be good enough in a better one.

Hume!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570