Pearson In

Status
Not open for further replies.
An ex City player has just become available. :icon_bigg

Last edited:
There is no quick fix to build a successful organisation (be it a business or a sports team). You have to create a culture where everyone is pulling in the same direction. When NP took over from Sven the KP was a basket case - Sven had collected players like they were cigarette cards. NP has done a fantastic job in clearing out those who didn't buy into the team ethos and/or were poisonous to the culture and/or were surplus to requirements. We now have one of the smaller squads in the league and as a result the vast majority of the squad are in or around the first team. That's good for morale and cost effective. NP started this process as soon as he arrived - by the end of his first (part) season we were in better shape than when he took over and by the end of this season we're miles ahead of where he started. One of Ferguson's greatest skills was moving on players who if they became a threat to the culture - Beckham, Van Nistelroy, Stam and now probably Rooney. NP has now got a group of young fist team players (plus some experience) who will continue to improve (James, King, Drinkwater, De Laet, Marshall, Schlupp, Wood, Knockaert) and all are team players. Anyone remember Lennon, Izzet, Savage, Heskey ...? The world of "vote them in, vote them out, Britain's-Got-Talent" instant success doesn't apply in the real world. NP hasn't had 2 seasons, yet we're in the best position we been in for years. I really, really hope we don't chuck it away.

Nigel seems confident:

"I know what needs to be done in the summer.
"I am confident I will get the opportunity."

I read this as confirmation that Pearson's contract/agreement with the owners was along the lines of:
- Fail to reach the play offs & parting of the ways will be the result
- Reach the plays offs & you can continue

There is no quick fix to build a successful organisation (be it a business or a sports team). You have to create a culture where everyone is pulling in the same direction. When NP took over from Sven the KP was a basket case - Sven had collected players like they were cigarette cards. NP has done a fantastic job in clearing out those who didn't buy into the team ethos and/or were poisonous to the culture and/or were surplus to requirements. We now have one of the smaller squads in the league and as a result the vast majority of the squad are in or around the first team. That's good for morale and cost effective. NP started this process as soon as he arrived - by the end of his first (part) season we were in better shape than when he took over and by the end of this season we're miles ahead of where he started. One of Ferguson's greatest skills was moving on players who if they became a threat to the culture - Beckham, Van Nistelroy, Stam and now probably Rooney. NP has now got a group of young fist team players (plus some experience) who will continue to improve (James, King, Drinkwater, De Laet, Marshall, Schlupp, Wood, Knockaert) and all are team players. Anyone remember Lennon, Izzet, Savage, Heskey ...? The world of "vote them in, vote them out, Britain's-Got-Talent" instant success doesn't apply in the real world. NP hasn't had 2 seasons, yet we're in the best position we been in for years. I really, really hope we don't chuck it away.

Superb post. Spottington onski.

Bang on the money for me

As Homer said, he was the manager that took us to our lowest ever position so that makes him our worst manager.

We weren't unlucky to go down, we deserved it. He had a transfer window to get things right but he signed bollox players like Lakzo and Bori and then on the last day fielded an absolutely bonkers team.

The large swarthe of supporters see sense, not some crazy idea to go back to our shittest manager.

So he's got one promotion and a failed play-offs. Pearson has got one promotion and 2 failed play-offs but he doesn't have the tag of taking is to our lowest point ever. He actually got us out of the shit that some so-called funny football manager got us into but instead of sticking with him, you want to go back to the fool that took us there in the first place??

He is not on the verge of taking Palace up, they have declined steadily since he took over and I would be very surprised if they are even able to score a goal tonight, yet alone win and then beat Watford at Wembley.

Sideways step at best though more like a marathon back in my opinion, if you hadn't guessed already! :icon_lol:

I'm sorry but if you can't see the disasters that went on prior to him joining the club and feel that it had nothing to do with us going down that year, then more fool you.

Like I said he wasn't my first choice, I tagged him on the end of my list and put 'even' before his name, which clearly indicated that the was nowhere near my first choice. I stand by my opinion that he's a better manager than Pearson though...and guess what he proved it tonight by getting Palace to Wembley. Pearson has got one promotion and two play failures. Yes ok, but his promotion was from a lower tier, so it doesn't stack up against someone who has done it at this level.

I'm not sure how you can say Palace have steadily declined. They had a poor run of form yes, but the fact that Freedman was prepared to walk and take the Bolton job suggests that he never thought they'd finish in the play offs and Holloway has gone and done that. Holloway is a good manager at this level. What he's done since our relegation season has proved that. You may hate him because of his links to our lowest moments in our club's history but the truth is he's a scapegoat and not the real felon.

Sheen is right about the massive improvement:

Last season we accumulated 66 points.

This season? 68

We will get there... Two points at a time.

I don't think that Pearson supporters have much to worry about. I think that the majority of supporters but more importantly the owners will feel that he has done enough to continue for at least another season.

In fact the only way i could see him leaving at present would be if he was offered a more attractive job - and that's not likely either.

Personally I think he has very flawed judgement and will not take us anywhere - but I recognise that it's possible to argue that he has gathered together a cluster of younger players who will hopefully improve.

If the club was ruthlessly ambitious it would sack him - but that isn't the mood music and he will be here in August.

I don't think that Pearson supporters have much to worry about. I think that the majority of supporters but more importantly the owners will feel that he has done enough to continue for at least another season.

In fact the only way i could see him leaving at present would be if he was offered a more attractive job - and that's not likely either.

Personally I think he has very flawed judgement and will not take us anywhere - but I recognise that it's possible to argue that he has gathered together a cluster of younger players who will hopefully improve.

If the club was ruthlessly ambitious it would sack him - but that isn't the mood music and he will be here in August.

We have a bunch of shopkeepers running the club, they won't react correctly if they react at all. I expect more of the same.

I notice that PeaSsoN is now completely refusing to talk to Ian Stringer

Another reason why he ought to stay

We have a bunch of shopkeepers running the club, they won't react correctly if they react at all. I expect more of the same.

Yep - I reckon that they have put the brakes on.

Can't blame them really. Though i would have preferred them to make endless changes and spent infinite money until success was achieved!

I notice that PeaSsoN is now completely refusing to talk to Ian Stringer

Another reason why he ought to stay

I know that this was said, at least in part, to be controversial and, that I should know better than to rise to the bait.....

BUT, whatever your, or my, opinion upon Ian Stringer, why is this good? Regardless as to whether Stringer is the greatest reporter in the history of journalism, or the worst; he is the link between the fans and the club's thinking. Yes, he asks some silly questions but, you must have listened to some of the fans on the phone in programmes - they ask stupid questions and it is them, as much as us intellectual giants, that want their views expressed and to feel part of this club.

I'm interested to know what people have seen since February that would give them hope that Pearson is the right man for the job?

I'm interested to know what people have seen since February that would give them hope that Pearson is the right man for the job?

Which February do you mean? Why have you chosen February? What do you see as being the job? Are you sure that your idea of the job is the best for the future of the club? Do you like arguments/discussions that go round and round and r...

Yep - I reckon that they have put the brakes on.

Can't blame them really. Though i would have preferred them to make endless changes and spent infinite money until success was achieved!

And when would you propose that madness should end? Success is surely in the mind of the beholder. Would promotion be enough for you? Or should the owners then spend their way to European competition? And what would happen when their money finally runs out, as it surely would?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669