Pearson Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naturally, Nigel Pearson is going to say, for public consumption, that this is just a blip and that the team have the players to get out of this mess: we have eight more games before the transfer window opens - he is hardly going to concede 24 points!

Whether Nigel Pearson stays or goes is not something that we can judge. Top is (hopefully) speaking to him on a regular basis and, if he is getting the same message as us, then a new man is required. If, however, Pearson is aware of the real solutions and has suggestions of signings in January to alleviate the problems then he should be retained. There is certainly no guarantee that a new manager - even Mr Pulis - will automatically retain our Premier League status.

Let's hope he signs players he rates this time then.

How many of the players he's signed this season have been selected regularly?

It's pretty difficult not to direct blame in Pearson's direction currently. Signings made in the previous window generally unused bar Cambiasso and Ulloa.

Quite an amazing turn around from that defeat of Man Utd to setting up so defensively against Burnley and beyond. An untried system of 4 central midfielders seemingly born out of a lack of decent options out wide (why did Dyer go? and where is his replacement?).

Let's hope he signs players he rates this time then.

How many of the players he's signed this season have been selected regularly?

That's because only two of the players brought in have any quality.

The table suggests that Championship players find it very tough in the Premier League - and at a rough guess I think that the club was about £20m light in its summer investments. Sounds OTT but it costs to close the quality gap. Difficult to find the right players? Of course - but needed to be done. Bringing in players like Albrighton (not as good as Dyer even)? Did he really think that was the way forward?

Leicester needed to think big. It didn't. The summer was largely wasted in just handing out new and better contracts to existing staff on the basis that the squad had sufficient qualityIt's fine to tell the world this story but as Shankly pointed out - the trouble begins when you start to believe your own propaganda! Pearson actually seems to have believed that players like Nugent would thrive in the Premier League.

Pearson needs to wake up and smell the coffee - before the trap door closes. January is a wretched time to make big transfer dealings - other clubs will exploit our difficulties but something needs to be done. We need to hang in till then and hope that reinforcements will make a difference.

In the meantime re tactics - sending out a team with little or no hope of scoring and just going for containment.....ugly football- no shape and next to no chance of holding out for 95 or so minutes.

Last edited:
Jeez, wouldn't mind a bit of that. Sure its not 1/20....

SkyBet have him at 16/1 with no fewer than EIGHT managers closer to the exit door - Redknapp, Pelligrini, Lambert, Bruce, Warnock, Dyche, Poyet and Rodgers.

But what do they know, eh?

Meanwhile Pulis is 6/1fav for the Newcastle job and Moyes 10/1on for living the high life at Real Sociedad. Looks like we've missed out on both of them!

I must admit, he is looking pretty deluded at the moment. I said at the start of the season that we should retain his services regardless of our league position. I'll try to stick with that.

I must admit, he is looking pretty deluded at the moment. I said at the start of the season that we should retain his services regardless of our league position. I'll try to stick with that.

I'd want us to stick with him if we're going to give it a go. If things continue as they are then I would fully understand the owners making a change.

Are????!!!!????

Really?

Is that the considered opinion of the whole of your profession?

I would say if there are more than one thing then are is correct.

Unless he put or as the conjunction of course, not and as I assumed.

Last edited:
NP has earned the right to have a go at being a Premier League manager. He got us here, although I will always argue that he had one of the biggest budgets and doing it at the fourth attempt was hardly earth-shattering management.

But the fact is, that he did it in style and it would have been ridiculous to not give him a new contract and let him try to do it his way. However, this was always going to be a huge gamble. He's never managed at this level before, aside from a handful of games as caretaker. I'd also argue that he's never shown the sort of tactical sophistication to suggest he's got what it takes.

He's a 4-4-2 man. He always has been and he's said as much many, many times. Whenever he's played another way, he's been quite obviously uncomfortable with it. Therein, lies a major problem. Nobody but an exceptional team can get away with playing that formation in the Premier League. Teams can outplay it too easily. So NP is having to do something that he doesn't want to and has shown no ability to.

Another issue is the motivation for many players, and NP, last season was contracts running out and a sense that it was this season or it was over. They had a hunger and a pressure to achieve. I just don't see anything like that this time around. It's like the party after the hard work.

Finally, something stinks about the recruitment policy over the summer. We signed eight players, only two of whom have had any sort of chance in the team. So without last season's best side (letting Dyer go) or last season's best formation (4-4-2), we're trying to make it at a much higher level with pretty much the same group. This makes no sense whatsoever.

These factors have lead to a scenario where we're playing pretty weak line ups with a confused formation against much sharper and smarter opposition. Now that the confidence from last season has gone we need a strategy to get points. In our last few games, we've set up to try for 0-0 and hope that we get a break or our opponents don't turn up. That isn't an effective strategy and can only possibly lead to a humiliating relegation.

And what does our manager say or do about this? Well in public, he has started to blame the players. It started with blaming mistakes and has now developed to blaming them for poor delivery, poor finishing, poor defending and so on. That isn't an effective plan for a team lacking confidence and direction.

If we stick with NP no matter what and we go down thinking he's the best man to take us up again. Then what? He's already shown that he can't adapt to Premier League management. So is the best case scenario under him to go down feebly, then come up again and over and over?

NP has done some terrific things at this club. His improvement in our scouting, development of young players, sports science, etc. He's made the club organised and effective. But if we aspire to be a Premier League club, this isn't enough.

I think if there is a better option with a proven record in Premier League management, it would be absurd to stick our heads in the sand. The reality is, that there is the perfect option for us out there right now that some other club will take if we don't. Tony Pulis will virtually guarantee we survive and build at this level and that's exactly what we need. He knows and has worked well with our Director of Football so the way in is obvious. If we stick with NP until January and we're adrift and Pulis is elsewhere, we've seriously fecked up.

For me, we win against Sunderland or get a much improved performance and a point or he's got to go and we've got to make that switch. As other have said, it's taken us ten long, painful years to get back here. We must do everything possible to stay up.

I would say if there are more than one thing then are is correct.

Unless he put or as the conjunction of course, not and as I assumed.

Moyes and Pulis - both of them ARE.

Moyes or Pulis - either of them IS.

My maths is fine, I'll have you know!

In that case you need to get round to floppus's house asap.

NP has earned the right to have a go at being a Premier League manager. He got us here, although I will always argue that he had one of the biggest budgets and doing it at the fourth attempt was hardly earth-shattering management.

But the fact is, that he did it in style and it would have been ridiculous to not give him a new contract and let him try to do it his way. However, this was always going to be a huge gamble. He's never managed at this level before, aside from a handful of games as caretaker. I'd also argue that he's never shown the sort of tactical sophistication to suggest he's got what it takes.

He's a 4-4-2 man. He always has been and he's said as much many, many times. Whenever he's played another way, he's been quite obviously uncomfortable with it. Therein, lies a major problem. Nobody but an exceptional team can get away with playing that formation in the Premier League. Teams can outplay it too easily. So NP is having to do something that he doesn't want to and has shown no ability to.

Another issue is the motivation for many players, and NP, last season was contracts running out and a sense that it was this season or it was over. They had a hunger and a pressure to achieve. I just don't see anything like that this time around. It's like the party after the hard work.

Finally, something stinks about the recruitment policy over the summer. We signed eight players, only two of whom have had any sort of chance in the team. So without last season's best side (letting Dyer go) or last season's best formation (4-4-2), we're trying to make it at a much higher level with pretty much the same group. This makes no sense whatsoever.

These factors have lead to a scenario where we're playing pretty weak line ups with a confused formation against much sharper and smarter opposition. Now that the confidence from last season has gone we need a strategy to get points. In our last few games, we've set up to try for 0-0 and hope that we get a break or our opponents don't turn up. That isn't an effective strategy and can only possibly lead to a humiliating relegation.

And what does our manager say or do about this? Well in public, he has started to blame the players. It started with blaming mistakes and has now developed to blaming them for poor delivery, poor finishing, poor defending and so on. That isn't an effective plan for a team lacking confidence and direction.

If we stick with NP no matter what and we go down thinking he's the best man to take us up again. Then what? He's already shown that he can't adapt to Premier League management. So is the best case scenario under him to go down feebly, then come up again and over and over?

NP has done some terrific things at this club. His improvement in our scouting, development of young players, sports science, etc. He's made the club organised and effective. But if we aspire to be a Premier League club, this isn't enough.

I think if there is a better option with a proven record in Premier League management, it would be absurd to stick our heads in the sand. The reality is, that there is the perfect option for us out there right now that some other club will take if we don't. Tony Pulis will virtually guarantee we survive and build at this level and that's exactly what we need. He knows and has worked well with our Director of Football so the way in is obvious. If we stick with NP until January and we're adrift and Pulis is elsewhere, we've seriously fecked up.

For me, we win against Sunderland or get a much improved performance and a point or he's got to go and we've got to make that switch. As other have said, it's taken us ten long, painful years to get back here. We must do everything possible to stay up.

An exceptional post BN.

The only caveat I would add is that NP has learnt by his mistakes and who is to say that if we went down and straight back up (a big ask) that he wouldn't rectify the mistakes of this season.

Of course it would be more preferable with a two week break to learn from this 6 game spell and change it.

Seems there is a noticeable shift in the general outlook regarding Pearson.

Sunderland game will be very interesting, I'm not looking forward to it one bit.

Seems there is a noticeable shift in the general outlook regarding Pearson.Sunderland game will be very interesting, I'm not looking forward to it one bit.
It seems with people I know that they can't wait to say told you so with regards to Pearson.I hope we stick with him.

Seems there is a noticeable shift in the general outlook regarding Pearson.

Sunderland game will be very interesting, I'm not looking forward to it one bit.

If we get rid before the end of the season I honestly think I won't bother anymore. I don't get the "stay in the Premier League at all costs" attitude. Redditch says we should have spent another 20m, I'm bloody glad we didn't. I'd sooner be sensible and if we go down, so be it. It seems the same people who moan about the negative influence of the premier league now want to do whatever it takes to roll over to that same influence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669