People That Piss You Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who use the self check out tills at the supermarket but when scanning their goods then put them on the right plate where the bags are but haven't got the ****ing brains to put them straight into a bag.

What about people who scan their goods, put them in the bagging area (but not in a bag), click "Item not bagged" and then are surprised when their checking-out process (and that of everybody behind them) is interrupted by the call of "Unexpected item in the bagging area" and the inevitable delay whilst the supervising member of staff resets the bagging area scale?

Then why are you using the self-service tills? They're not "express lanes", they're invariably at least twice as slow as going through a normal check-out

Both Tesco and ASDA call them the 'Fast Lane'. NCR who market them call them 'Fast Lanes'. When they are used properly by customers with a small number of goods, a single member of staff can deal with a greater number of customers than they could on a manual till. Therefore in the absence of additional staff, it is quicker to use Fast Lanes than it is to use manual tills.

it is quicker to use Fast Lanes than it is to use manual tills.

No it isn't, or we wouldn't be posting in this thread about it now. The theory seems sound enough, but in practice the world has far too many ****s to justify using labels to describe them that imply that they are any way quicker.

I'm sure the supermarket minimum wage slaves are distraught that they are being deprived of hours of mind numbing work for a pittance by the people scanning their own shopping.

If you've no other prospects, would you sooner do hours of mind-numbing work for a pittance wage or would you prefer to do ****all work for ****all money?

I declare an interest here, having taken a part-time job in a superstore just over a year ago. I have to say that I don't find it to be mind-numbing in the slightest; and I would say that the majority of my colleagues would agree with that statement. those who do find it mind-numbing are clearly either in the wrong job or have innately numb minds. Nor am I paid the minimum wage and I am not aware of any national supermarket/store who does pay the minimum wage. Yes, the money is not great but there are many jobs that pay less.

No it isn't, or we wouldn't be posting in this thread about it now. The theory seems sound enough, but in practice the world has far too many ****s to justify using labels to describe them that imply that they are any way quicker.

If you are able to use the self checkouts correctly, you will be out of the store far more quickly than you would be if you were to queue at a till. I agree that theory and practice do not coincide but my experience suggests that with a small number of goods it is quicker to use self checkouts.

It may indeed be that some areas, possibly yours and probably camberwell's, has a greater number of people who do not use the lanes correctly. They are certainly slower for the people who can not get to grips with their 'system' and it does make me wonder why people who "always have trouble with these infernal machines" continue to use them.

Last edited:
I declare an interest here, having taken a part-time job in a superstore just over a year ago. I have to say that I don't find it to be mind-numbing in the slightest; and I would say that the majority of my colleagues would agree with that statement. those who do find it mind-numbing are clearly either in the wrong job or have innately numb minds. Nor am I paid the minimum wage and I am not aware of any national supermarket/store who does pay the minimum wage. Yes, the money is not great but there are many jobs that pay less.

I wasn't suggesting that it was mind-numbing and I've no idea what the pay rates are. I was just responding to the disparaging point made.

If you are able to use the self checkouts correctly, you will be out of the store far more quickly than you would be if you were to queue at a till. I agree that theory and practice do not coincide but my experience suggests that with a small number of goods it is quicker to use self checkouts.

It may indeed be that some areas, possibly yours and probably camberwell's, has a greater number of people who do not use the lanes correctly. They are certainly slower for the people who can not get to grips with their 'system' and it does make me wonder why people who "always have trouble with these infernal machines" continue to use them.

I can't abide the ****ing things to be honest, avoid them like the plague. I'd much rather speak to a human. Sometimes I even mute my MP3 player when I'm doing it.

I wasn't suggesting that it was mind-numbing and I've no idea what the pay rates are. I was just responding to the disparaging point made.

Yes - I realise that neither comment was made by you. I included your response as a continuance of the conversation and so that I could make the point that people who find such work mind-numbing really shouldn't be doing it.

Both Tesco and ASDA call them the 'Fast Lane'. NCR who market them call them 'Fast Lanes'. When they are used properly by customers with a small number of goods, a single member of staff can deal with a greater number of customers than they could on a manual till. Therefore in the absence of additional staff, it is quicker to use Fast Lanes than it is to use manual tills.

The people who rock up with a trolley full annoy me.

I worked in a supermarket 25 years ago and mind-numbing and being paid a pittance were perfect descriptions of the work involved, if that's not the case now then I stand corrected.

PS. we always use scanners or self scan if they are available

The people who rock up with a trolley full annoy me.

That's me that is, but only the little sports trolley!
In fact only a couple of weeks ago some overalled grease monkey on his lunch break did challenge me about baskets only.
I destroyed him, having a picture of a trolley on the self service sign helped and as i put my trolley in the 'built for trolley' slot to the left of the till I asked the 'helper' who had heard the 'exchange' and he backed me up.
****ing baskets, gay as....

Last edited:
I order everything on line and have it delivered. Far better than to mingle with the gutter riff-raff circulating in the supermarkets. It's just not on

You'll be telling me you travel on buses next, FFS

Plebs

I order everything on line and have it delivered. Far better than to mingle with the gutter riff-raff circulating in the supermarkets. It's just not on

You'll be telling me you travel on buses next, FFS

Plebs

Could be worse, some people do more than just travel on a bus. Speaking of which, where did enderby fox go? Is he still hiding from lazzer?

Could be worse, some people do more than just travel on a bus. Speaking of which, where did enderby fox go? Is he still hiding from lazzer?

You'll find him on the backseat of the number 50, every pension day

Last edited:

I found working in a supermarket to be the single most soul-crushing experience of my young life. A fortunate life, I know, but ****ing hell did I hate that job. Mind numbing is an apt description in my experience (granted it is possible I have an "innately numb mind").

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa613
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Tottenham 610
9Brighton69