Pompey pre-season post match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

1-3 about what I expected. On the basis of what was seen are we relegation bound, mid-table mediocrity or possible high flyers? :102: ;)

Loved the quote from the short arsed ginger jock geezer in comm:

"The players look tired from their pre season"

Surely if there is one point during the course of the season when they shouldn't be tired, it's now!!!

Loved the quote from the short arsed ginger jock geezer in comm:

"The players look tired from their pre season"

Surely if there is one point during the course of the season when they shouldn't be tired, it's now!!!

Has he over worked them then. :icon_conf :icon_conf Undercooked it last year, overcooked it this. WTF. :icon_roll

This week will see them train to maintain and then they'll be ready to peak come next saturday. Allen would want them to be tired right now. If they weren't they'd be lacking fitness come next saturday.

In order to get to a very good level of fitness they're needs to be fatigue. The recovery over the next week is now very important and imperative to enable the lads to perform at their peaks next satuday.

Sat just behind the dug out today all the players appeared to be wearing something strapped to their chests, possible heart monitors?

There also appeared to be a lot of confusion about the instructions coming from the bench a couple of times Stearman was hollowed at to move forward down the by line, Pompey then promptly played the ball into the space behind him.

Not bad today thought the score line didnt reflect the game. lacked width a few times however i dont think it would be a proplem in a competitve fixture as hopefully MA wont play weso on the right handside of midfield.

It's not that unusual the players are tired now, this is and should be part of the year when they train hardest. As already said, next week is important to recover.

Last edited:
i thought we matched them in mid-field, but they were more clinical up front and more composed at the back than us

On the whole, I thought it was a pretty decent performance and not as bad as the scoreline suggested, apart from one thing: our defending. Portsmouth seemed to walk through our defence too easy today. I'm a little concerned about that as N'Gotty and McAuley seemed a little lightweight. I also think Chambers should be played at right-back, although he was better in the second half.

I thought de Vries looked quite good when he had the ball played to his feet. He looks quite dangerous in that respect and he and Hume seemed quite dangerous together. Campbell, when he came on, also looked dangerous too. I haven't seen Sappleton before today and for a 17 year old, he is HUGE! I'm 21 and sooooo skinny compared to him!

Clemence looked like our Makelele in the centre of midfield. And I thought Kishishev didn't have a bad game either. Newton looked quite good when he came on too but needs to play on the right hand side.

I'd have liked to have seen Kaebi today, but there was no sign of him. I haven't ready elsewhere so I may have missed the reason.

I'm pretty confident for a decent season if our defence can be as good as we know it can be and Kisnorbo, McAuley and N'Gotty are all on form.

I was in the East Stand today and thought that we were generally quite good. As has been said earlier they just had a bit more quality than us at both ends of the pitch. We are a couple of players short of being a good side and although we were beaten today we did compete well against a top half premiership club.

I think De Vries was man of the match before James:)

Best game i have seen him played, he held up the ball, spread it wide and made some cracking through balls. Well done Mark De Vries.

Reasonable performance against a Prem side who were quicker in thought and execution. Looked quite sharp up front but hopefully more to come as we get competative. 100% improvemant in midfield from last year. Thought Clemence performed well. Defence is still the worring fact. A right footed left back is a problem as his initial move is onto his right foot and turning into trouble. Right back appears to be much better than last year but needs to work on his distribution. Central defender seemed ok as well. But the problem was that they seemed to fall asleep on all 3 goals prior to them being scored. This has remenisances of last years defence. Against a Prem side they were punished each time. We must improve the concentration of our defenders or we will throwing points away again. Generally, quite pleased with the effort and can see improvement on last year. Get the defence right and I can forsee a good season.

Last edited:
Hume and DJ look the most likely to score, but I can't see them playing together. At the moment, depending on the '3-4 new signings', I think it will be De Vries + Hume or DJ.

Trouble is I can't see MDV scoring, His first touch always seems to take the ball away from him by that time he's been closed down and he's not quick enough to turn a defender. Played better today than he has for a long while but I don't think he's the answer. Think Hume & DJ will be the front two but hope that Fryatt gets a chance as well.

Trouble is I can't see MDV scoring, His first touch always seems to take the ball away from him by that time he's been closed down and he's not quick enough to turn a defender. Played better today than he has for a long while but I don't think he's the answer. Think Hume & DJ will be the front two but hope that Fryatt gets a chance as well.

MDV never looks like scoring, but in the past he has. against spurs in the cup i said he'd never score if he had all night, he feckin did though. when he was fat he just looked clumsy, i think at this level he could score a lot. people may argue but at least this time out the squad he is playing with are actually a bunch of 'footballers' and not a bunch of wankers who couldn't care what the team does (or so i hope)

MDV never looks like scoring, but in the past he has. against spurs in the cup i said he'd never score if he had all night, he feckin did though. when he was fat he just looked clumsy, i think at this level he could score a lot. people may argue but at least this time out the squad he is playing with are actually a bunch of 'footballers' and not a bunch of wankers who couldn't care what the team does (or so i hope)

Also he can use his head:biggrin:

Often you need two different types of strikers if you want to have a successful offensive weapon. de Vries is more of a target as I've understood it, while Hume and DJ are more of goalscorers and those who take the runs. Still I think both Hume and DJ are too good to stay out of the team. What about three forwards? Would sort our winger problem out (since we don't have any wingers then):icon_roll

Nielsen

Kaebi - Bruno - Kisnorbo - Mattock

Wesolowski - Clemence - Kishishev

DJ Campbell - Mark de Vries - Hume

Kaebi and Mattock offensive like wingers, Weso and Kishishev more defensive.
Probably this lineup is way too offensive against the good teams in the league, but maybe against Accrington Stanley?:tumbleweed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00