Pompey pre-season post match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trouble is I can't see MDV scoring, His first touch always seems to take the ball away from him by that time he's been closed down and he's not quick enough to turn a defender. Played better today than he has for a long while but I don't think he's the answer. Think Hume & DJ will be the front two but hope that Fryatt gets a chance as well.

don't you think the bloke deserves another chance. He has showed he cares by slimming down, and his first touch is not that bad, FFS get off his back and give him a fair chance. He could have sat back and just picked up his wages but he hasn't, and that must show for something

De Vries was excellent today IMO.

If I could pick a starting XI for the Blackpool match judging by what I've seen this pre-season I would go for this......

Henderson

Stearman-----McAuley-----N'Gotty-----Chambers

Newton-----Kishishev-----Clemence-----Wesolowski

De Vries-----Hume​

lcfc will not pay £2m for a player and not play him. FACT

lcfc will not pay £2m for a player and not play him. FACT

He didn't do much last week against Notts County when he came on, and he did feck all today when he came on. MDV and Hume have both looked good together. Would be harsh if DJ walked straight into the team just because of his price tag, he has to earn his place.

De Vries was excellent today IMO.

If I could pick a starting XI for the Blackpool match judging by what I've seen this pre-season I would go for this......

Henderson​

Stearman-----McAuley-----N'Gotty-----Chambers​

Newton-----Kishishev-----Clemence-----Wesolowski​

De Vries-----Hume​

Weso on the left? :102:

I thought we played really well against a team that will beat most of the teams in the Prem. We beat a defence made up of James (several world class saves to deny us), Campbell, Lauren and Distin and tried to keep out a forward line of Nugent and Lua Lua!

Their ball skills and first touches were sublime but when we upped the pace in the second half and took the game to them, we did look dangerous and a draw would have been a fair result.

If we play no better than this we will punish most teams in our division - and all the signs are that as the team 'gels' we will get better.

I thought we played really well against a team that will beat most of the teams in the Prem. We beat a defence made up of James (several world class saves to deny us), Campbell, Lauren and Distin and tried to keep out a forward line of Nugent and Lua Lua!

Their ball skills and first touches were sublime but when we upped the pace in the second half and took the game to them, we did look dangerous and a draw would have been a fair result.

If we play no better than this we will punish most teams in our division - and all the signs are that as the team 'gels' we will get better.

I was waiting for that - means I can go to bed and get some sleep!
We still didn't have the best team, which Pompey had, and Milan has promised us some signings so I think this will be good.

So, name some left wingers still available on the market?

Quinton Fortune's still available on a free.

Matthew Etherington might be available, at least on loan, from West Ham?

A massive list of unattached players on here, but admittedly few left wingers jump out...
http://www.footballtransfers.co.uk/squads/club1.html#player1121

There must be a decent left winger or left back, somewhere in the world, that is better than we've got and is willing to join us...

Last edited:
Andy Robinson! Surely we wont start next week with Chambers at left back or indeed Weso wde. I think MA will be fine tuning right up until Saturday.

Last edited:
On the whole, I thought it was a pretty decent performance and not as bad as the scoreline suggested, apart from one thing: our defending. Portsmouth seemed to walk through our defence too easy today. I'm a little concerned about that as N'Gotty and McAuley seemed a little lightweight. I also think Chambers should be played at right-back, although he was better in the second half.

I thought de Vries looked quite good when he had the ball played to his feet. He looks quite dangerous in that respect and he and Hume seemed quite dangerous together. Campbell, when he came on, also looked dangerous too. I haven't seen Sappleton before today and for a 17 year old, he is HUGE! I'm 21 and sooooo skinny compared to him!

Clemence looked like our Makelele in the centre of midfield. And I thought Kishishev didn't have a bad game either. Newton looked quite good when he came on too but needs to play on the right hand side.

I'd have liked to have seen Kaebi today, but there was no sign of him. I haven't ready elsewhere so I may have missed the reason.

I'm pretty confident for a decent season if our defence can be as good as we know it can be and Kisnorbo, McAuley and N'Gotty are all on form.

I agree with most of what you say. I thought Chambers played well but was sad to see our defence is still not solid. Their goals were practically tap ins. I thought MA did right to sub Mattock as he was ineffective on the wing and most things went straight past him. McAuley was a let down in defence, we looked better with Kisnorbo there.

Probably stating the obvious here but as Matty Fryatt did not even make the bench, I asume he is being sold on to Preston or Wolves or whatever?

don't you think the bloke deserves another chance. He has showed he cares by slimming down, and his first touch is not that bad, FFS get off his back and give him a fair chance. He could have sat back and just picked up his wages but he hasn't, and that must show for something

Who's getting on his back, I agree he played better than in while but also commented that i didn't think he was the answer to our problems up front. Just an opinion, I am entitled to that whatever you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669