Premier League 2012/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Offsides where goals are scored directly in that passage of play. Yes.
Penalties. Yes.
Goal line. Yes.
Direct red cards. Yes.
Free-kicks. No.

That's where I'd draw the line, and I think it's a pretty clear distinction between items that are directly goal/player related and items that may result in a goal.

Plus you could easily limit each team to 1-3 challenges per game.

It's used successfully in almost every other sport and I've yet to see it be a hindrance, so it's just another example of football being behind the times.

Other sports don't have as many variables though. I agree that if it is used there needs to be a cap on the amount of calls a team has, but I think it will still have too many grey areas. You can never say a chance is definitely going to result in a goal, we've seen enough players miss sitters on the line to know this.

Other sports don't have as many variables though.

Other sports have plenty of variables. Hockey have TV replays for any item that leads to a penalty corner, as that's a direct goal scoring opportunity. For Rugby, they can be looking at a number of factors when determining if a try has been scored or not.

You can never say a chance is definitely going to result in a goal, we've seen enough players miss sitters on the line to know this.

You clearly can.

If a goal has been scored, as per Torres above, then this is definitely going to result in a goal. Both penalties and goal line decisions are specific enough to also directly result in a goal or not.

You will have to draw a line somewhere, but there are certain factors that directly impact goals and could easily be incorporated.

Other sports have plenty of variables. Hockey have TV replays for any item that leads to a penalty corner, as that's a direct goal scoring opportunity. For Rugby, they can be looking at a number of factors when determining if a try has been scored or not.

You clearly can.

If a goal has been scored, as per Torres above, then this is definitely going to result in a goal. Both penalties and goal line decisions are specific enough to also directly result in a goal or not.

You will have to draw a line somewhere, but there are certain factors that directly impact goals and could easily be incorporated.

What about when an assistant referee incorrectly gives offside and the referee blows before the player is able to got a shot on goal.

It's not like you can restart from the same position or foresee whether they would have scored.

The technology either has to cover every outcome in order to be used. i.e. it must allow for all offside decisions to be corrected, not just the ones where goals are involved.

While I would support technology for "did it cross the line" disputes, the rest is riven with problems, some of which have been pointed out.

The off-side law is now such a mess (or rather the regularly changing guidelines are) that it is now virtually incomprehensible as well as hugely subjective. As such I doubt if stopping to watch replays from assorted angles would do much to help.

Hockey is a sad example - a sport which over recent years has changed almost beyond recognition to make it faster and more free-flowing. The recent introduction of frequent long pauses for TV reviews runs entirely counter to this and was intensely irritating - to the Olympic commentators as well as me! It was instructive too to hear commentators towards the end of games noting that players were calling for reviews "because they had nothing to lose".

An alternative approach might be to ask whether, if a particular law or aspect of it is so difficult to judge accurately in real time (as is the case with off-side) it should be scrapped.

End the sport, then there will be no wrong decisions and we can just all have a nice chat and focus on the internets and stuff.

Has goal line technology been installed for this season?
If so, not a lot of fuss has been made of it, despite all the clamour for it.

Has goal line technology been installed for this season?
If so, not a lot of fuss has been made of it, despite all the clamour for it.

Nope. Probably from next year, unless they bring it in during this season which is unlikely. They've said it would be available mid-season probably but it wouldn't be fair to introduce it then.

Sunderland have completed the signing of Fletcher for £14m, ridiculous money. But, apparently signing Adam Johnson tonight for £12m.... good signing that one. Will be glad to see Johnson leave City, he needs to be playing regularly.

Nope. Probably from next year, unless they bring it in during this season which is unlikely. They've said it would be available mid-season probably but it wouldn't be fair to introduce it then.

Of course it would be fair, the decisions even themselves out don't you know.

Swansea already winning 2-0 at home to WHU. 2 shocking errors have gifted them the lead. Early days, but I'm really impressed with Swansea.

Feel for the Reading fans who have made the 300 mile trip to Sunderland only for the game to be called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

Swansea already winning 2-0 at home to WHU. 2 shocking errors have gifted them the lead. Early days, but I'm really impressed with Swansea.

Brendan Rodgers got credit for how well Swansea did last year, but Huw Jenkins has such a good record with managers recently... every time their manager gets poached and they get a new guy in, they seem to do better. Incredible.

Brendan Rodgers got credit for how well Swansea did last year, but Huw Jenkins has such a good record with managers recently... every time their manager gets poached and they get a new guy in, they seem to do better. Incredible.
Every time? Are you sure?

Every time? Are you sure?

As I said "good record with managers recently", then yes. Martinez's first full season they went from 7th in League One to champions, then 8th in the Championship. He left and Sousa got them to finish 7th in the Championship. He left (unfortunately for us) and they got Rodgers and finished 3rd in the Championship and then 11th in the Premier League.... now Laudrup.

What am I missing?

What about when an assistant referee incorrectly gives offside and the referee blows before the player is able to got a shot on goal.

It's not like you can restart from the same position or foresee whether they would have scored.

There will always be exceptions that will not be conveniently catered for by a free-flowing sport using TV replays.

But it's not that different from Wham v Villa last week when the flag went up but the goal was given. Neither way is perfect.

The technology either has to cover every outcome in order to be used.

Why?

Feel for the Reading fans who have made the 300 mile trip to Sunderland only for the game to be called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

What about the Hartlepool fans who managed to get to Brisbane Road but didn't see a match because their team was still stuck on the M11 at 3:30?

Julio Cesar has apparently completed his move to QPR. Great signing for them! Well, not for Rob Green... but for the rest of them.

Transfers coming in thick and fast now, deadline day tomorrow!

Julio Cesar to QPR is done.

Andy Carroll (finally) completes a loan move to West Ham.

Berbatov apparently close to moving to Fulham... great signing for them I think.

Spurs seem to have gone backwards from last season to me if anything, but I think they might come out as Deadline Day winners.

Joao Moutinho deal has been agreed apparently for a club record £22m and Hugo Lloris should be on his way in too. Very good signings. Think they could do with another striker still though, Adebayor wasn't great last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669