Premier League 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes same here. To add, I don't get the hype around Chelsea, I think they have some quite average players.
They have some exceptional players as well. Had they not made the mistake of hiring through popularity rather than through thinking, they would have been much more of a threat to the top four this season.

Tuchel brought on Hudson-Odoi at half time and took him off after 30 minutes. No sign of an injury.
Never understood the hype about him. Sure he may do some fancy looking step overs but it rarely leads to anything.

Don't think I've seen him play well in a whole 90 mins let alone over a number games.

Tuchel said he bought Hudson-Odoi off due to his body language and lack of effort/not doing what he was instructed. Chillwell might not be at Chelsea long.

Tuchel said he bought Hudson-Odoi off due to his body language and lack of effort/not doing what he was instructed. Chillwell might not be at Chelsea long.
You don’t often see managers calling out their players like that!

Chelsea just stockpile players. This is a team made up of senior players currently on loan - there are loads more:

Blackman, Zappacosta, Tomori, Sarr, Rahman, Moses, Barkley, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Loftus-Cheek, Batshuayi

They picked 20 senior players for the game at Southampton today and didn't include: Cabellaro, Thiago Silva, Havertz or Pulisic.

Consider the case of Charly Musonda (not even one of the 35 above players). They signed him as a 16 year old from Anderlecht in 2012. He last came off the bench for them more than three years ago. BR took him to Celtic on loan in 2018 but he flopped.

He's started two league cup ties in his entire Chelsea career and is now 24. He gets more than half a million a year and he doesn't even qualify for their U23s.

The best thing anyone can do as Chelsea manager is get rid of about 30 players.

Chelsea just stockpile players. This is a team made up of senior players currently on loan - there are loads more:

Blackman, Zappacosta, Tomori, Sarr, Rahman, Moses, Barkley, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Loftus-Cheek, Batshuayi

They picked 20 senior players for the game at Southampton today and didn't include: Cabellaro, Thiago Silva, Havertz or Pulisic.

Consider the case of Charly Musonda (not even one of the 35 above players). They signed him as a 16 year old from Anderlecht in 2012. He last came off the bench for them more than three years ago. BR took him to Celtic on loan in 2018 but he flopped.

He's started two league cup ties in his entire Chelsea career and is now 24. He gets more than half a million a year and he doesn't even qualify for their U23s.

The best thing anyone can do as Chelsea manager is get rid of about 30 players.
The Musonda case is a bit like Piazon, who left them in January:

What happens with Chilwell will be interesting. He has readily admitted to being mentally vulnerable. He put a lot of his mixed form last season down to struggling in dealing with criticism.

BR is known to be the kind of manager that expects a lot but is very supportive and encouraging of his players. TT is known to be pretty harsh with players and calls them out when they don't deliver. I can't see Chilwell thriving in that environment.

If TT doesn't get the best out of Chilwell, he can't really move. He signed a five year contract on so much money that nobody is going to match.

The Musonda case is a bit like Piazon, who left them in January:

Yep, there are loads of them. My personal favourite is Van Ginkel.

He's now 28 and still a Chelsea player and he's been there for 8 years! They paid £8m for him.

He's been playing for PSV on loan off and on for the last five years.

He started two and was sub for two games for Chelsea in Aug/Sep 2013 and hasn't played for them since. To put that into context, Neil Danns was still playing for us then.

What happens with Chilwell will be interesting. He has readily admitted to being mentally vulnerable. He put a lot of his mixed form last season down to struggling in dealing with criticism.

BR is known to be the kind of manager that expects a lot but is very supportive and encouraging of his players. TT is known to be pretty harsh with players and calls them out when they don't deliver. I can't see Chilwell thriving in that environment.

If TT doesn't get the best out of Chilwell, he can't really move. He signed a five year contract on so much money that nobody is going to match.

Chilwell is a "gold medalist" rather then the "silver medalists" we look for.

If you examine Chilwell's career (as least superficially) he's never had to deal with a significant setback:

1. Highly-rated and cultivated as a youngster
2. Was in/around the title winning squad
3. Became first choice in order to keep him at the club
4. Ascended to England squad (due to a lack of options if we are honest)
5. Got his massive move and big wages - and had a manager who played him every week
6. No significant injuries

I suspect he's a good lad who means well generally, but he's had it his way for a really long time. Compare his story to, say, a Justin who has had to (and will continue to have to) work really hard.

It will be really interesting to see how he handles this period in his career. I'm not sure he has the skills/experience to dig in. We shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669