Premier League 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
This would kill the EPL as a spectacle. With those voting rights in place, it would only be a matter of time before the big clubs are claiming a much higher proportion of the TV money and before you know it we'd be just like Spain, Germany and Italy - just two or three clubs anywhere close to challenging and everyone else just trying to keep the goal difference down. From there, the logic of a european super league would be inescapable.

Premier League: Liverpool & Man Utd lead English football reform plans
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54499998

Cut the league down to 18 teams, scrap the community shield and reform the league cup. Special status for Everton, Saints and W Ham!!!
Frankly anything that the “big six” are expected to vote for should almost be considered as guaranteed shit for everyone else. Surely this can’t possibly go through?

****ing Yanks.

Never been any good at the game. Never had any interest in it. Wouldn't even have a pro league if not for being forced to in order to get a cash cow World Cup. Completely at odds with the entire world.

**** off back to your Rounders & Robot Rugby & leave proper sports alone.

I'm sure we've got more than enough home grown money grubbing bastards to ruin the game.

That **** Glazer in particular. Despite being a "billionaire" him & his halfwit brother were up to their arses in debt even when they bought Man U. Most of their investements are in shopping malls if I remember? Bet thats going really ****ing well at the minute !

Must be nice to be so rich you can pretend to be rich even when you're not.

I quite like the idea of a relegation playoff. But it should be between the four teams above the relegation zone in the PL (as opposed to against the Championship teams, which would increase the 'eliteness' of the PL).

Parachute payments would be gone too, which would mean clubs getting promoted would be in a very tricky position. I suspect fewer teams would stay up, as they wouldn’t be able to expose themselves to the risk of larger contracts, should they subsequently get relegated again.

Parachute payments would be gone too, which would mean clubs getting promoted would be in a very tricky position. I suspect fewer teams would stay up, as they wouldn’t be able to expose themselves to the risk of larger contracts, should they subsequently get relegated again.
That’s all part of the plan. Keep the elite as the elite.

It’s bullshit.

I’m amazed there’s even a debate about this. There is no one fighting for it except those who are clearly just pushing it as a power grab.

It's disgusting.

English football is done as 'sport' if this happens.

The relegation playoff is the only part that interests me.

I don't even Liverpool/Man Utd will expect this to go through. Luckily right now all 20 Premier League clubs still get a say, and I don't see why the other 14 outside of the 'big 6' would ever opt for this. Even for the 3 included outside of the top 6 (Southampton, Wham and Everton) it's a shit deal - they've probably included that part to try and get more PL teams agreeing to this deal, but I'm sure they'll see through it and realise that since the proposal says only 6 out of 9 would have to agree decisions, they'd technically have a vote but they wouldn't have a voice.

It's win-win for the clubs proposing it though, right? Somehow get it through and they control the game and become untouchable. The other clubs vote against them, and they'll say "oh sorry EFL we tried to help keep your clubs in business but those annoying small PL teams wouldn't agree to it".

Twats.

We've really upset them with our title win and then almost taking one of the Champions League spots last season haven't we?

Last edited:
It's disgusting.

English football is done as 'sport' if this happens.

The relegation playoff is the only part that interests me.

I don't even Liverpool/Man Utd will expect this to go through. Luckily right now all 20 Premier League clubs still get a say, and I don't see why the other 14 outside of the 'big 6' would ever opt for this. Even for the 3 included outside of the top 6 (Southampton, Wham and Everton) it's a shit deal - they've probably included that part to try and get more PL teams agreeing to this deal, but I'm sure they'll see through it and realise that since the proposal says only 6 out of 9 would have to agree decisions, they'd technically have a vote but they wouldn't have a voice.

It's win-win for the clubs proposing it though, right? Somehow get it through and they control the game and become untouchable. The other clubs vote against them, and they'll say "oh sorry EFL we tried to help keep your clubs in business but those annoying small PL teams wouldn't agree to it".

Twats.

We've really upset them with our title win and then almost taking one of the Champions League spots last season haven't we?

Really seems like we did - there was a quote floating about recently saying "the don't want to see another Leicester", which is exactly the problem this proposal is designed to fix.

The Glazers and the Yanks that own Liverpool are looking to improve the value of those clubs and maximise dividends on an annual basis. The growth areas for Liverpool and Man U are now Asia, Africa and the Middle East - places where fans are fickle and will happily change allegiances if the club doesn't perform well for one or two seasons. Man U not being a top 4 club has consequences.

The owners can see the NFL model, which (whilst I'm no expert) I understand is fantastically profitable, without promotion or regelation and well suited to TV advertising. The worrying thing is that the PL was created in the mould of the NFL. It's taken many of it's ideas and transferred them directly to today's game. I hope this isn't another step in that evolution.

Really seems like we did - there was a quote floating about recently saying "the don't want to see another Leicester", which is exactly the problem this proposal is designed to fix.

The Glazers and the Yanks that own Liverpool are looking to improve the value of those clubs and maximise dividends on an annual basis. The growth areas for Liverpool and Man U are now Asia, Africa and the Middle East - places where fans are fickle and will happily change allegiances if the club doesn't perform well for one or two seasons. Man U not being a top 4 club has consequences.

The owners can see the NFL model, which (whilst I'm no expert) I understand is fantastically profitable, without promotion or regelation and well suited to TV advertising. The worrying thing is that the PL was created in the mould of the NFL. It's taken many of it's ideas and transferred them directly to today's game. I hope this isn't another step in that evolution.
The NFL is very profitable, but the salary cap and draft system also help to promote a more level playing field.

To make the point as well - shouldn’t a “big six” be defined by who has actually won the league in the time the PL has existed?

I remember saying to a friend at the time (hard to believe I know) that we may have done the last pure joyful thing in the sport because they will find their way to close the door. Here it is. Project power grab. Project protection racket.

I’m so proud of my club for that beautiful thing we did. In loving memory of football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566