Premier League 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to see a few lower league clubs backing the plan. I suppose for them it's all upside.

Good points:
  • redistribution of the PL money is probably long overdue.
  • The relegation thing seems like it would be quite interesting
Things I'm not too bothered about
  • Scrapping the League cup and charity shield
  • Allowing the top 6 teams to have more time to do big preseason tours
Things I don't like:
  • Power concentrated in the top six
  • Reducing the league to 18
  • Having the top clubs decide on the split of TV money
  • The inevitable slide of things towards greater revenue generation, which will probably mean things like drinks breaks come back (so they can show more ads)
  • An expanded champions League
  • A possible breakaway European league

I believe when the Premier League was first formed the idea at the time was to eventually only have 18 teams in it down from 22 in the old First Division. This was to be done gradually but the idea was scrapped after it was reduced to 20.

Interesting to see a few lower league clubs backing the plan. I suppose for them it's all upside.

Good points:
  • redistribution of the PL money is probably long overdue.
  • The relegation thing seems like it would be quite interesting
Things I'm not too bothered about
  • Scrapping the League cup and charity shield
  • Allowing the top 6 teams to have more time to do big preseason tours
Things I don't like:
  • Power concentrated in the top six
  • Reducing the league to 18
  • Having the top clubs decide on the split of TV money
  • The inevitable slide of things towards greater revenue generation, which will probably mean things like drinks breaks come back (so they can show more ads)
  • An expanded champions League
  • A possible breakaway European league
It’s the revenue generation element for me. I really struggle to see who and how that benefits anyone other than TV companies and the players, who clearly make far more money than they could ever have hoped for or need.

“Some of the cut would be calculated over the last three years so if Manchester United or Liverpool had a bad season, it wouldn’t matter as much because other, more successful years would be taken into account.

At the moment central income ratio is capped at 1.7 to 1 between big and small; this might see it reach 4:1. And what’s fairer than a league in which the wealthiest get four times as much basic income as their rivals lower down?

The same with television revenue with clubs permitted to sell eight games on their own platforms. This would greatly harm the broadcast deal, with the loss of exclusivity, and that money could only be recouped if the PPV packages were hugely successful. And who is likelier to benefit there: Manchester United and Liverpool again, or Burnley and West Brom?

So, again, the elite clubs lose nothing, the smallest clubs get squeezed. The only time they are all treated the same is when handing out bungs to the EFL and FA to make it happen.”

Spurs are an interesting case and their income streams are not at the same level as the other five.

This explains exactly how they've been recruited into this. Extraordinary.
The more you read about this, the more ridiculous it gets.
“We’ll save English football, but only if you pay for our stadiums. And only if the team hasn’t spent any time outside the premier league.
Those bloody charlatans, how dare they get relegated (by us) and then have the cheek to try and eat at OUR table again?”
Basically seems to mean the EFL gets saved, but getting to the premier league is pointless for anyone else.

The more you read about this, the more ridiculous it gets.
“We’ll save English football, but only if you pay for our stadiums. And only if the team hasn’t spent any time outside the premier league.
Those bloody charlatans, how dare they get relegated (by us) and then have the cheek to try and eat at OUR table again?”
Basically seems to mean the EFL gets saved, but getting to the premier league is pointless for anyone else.

Exactly this. It benefits the 'Big 6', and I would say the bottom half of the Championship downwards to the near bottom of League 2.

For the other 14 Prem teams, Championship clubs with dreams of making it to the Prem, or clubs scrambling around the bottom of League 2 (since the 92 would go down to 90) then it's shit.

And even then for the other EFL clubs, they'll know their immediate safety is coming with a huge pinch of salt. Particularly as the way the proposal is put together basically suggests the Big 6 could change their minds about how the money is distributed at any point.

Looking at the all time Premier league tables why are W.Ham and Southampton given preference over Villa and Newcastle who’ve both played more games

Looking at the all time Premier league tables why are W.Ham and Southampton given preference over Villa and Newcastle who’ve both played more games
Because their current run in the PL is longer. So if WHam get relegated, then come back up, they'd no longer be one of the chosen elite.

All 20 clubs rejected it - including the two that put it forwards!

Either they voted against it to protect their image when they knew when everyone else was against it (but everyone already knows who's behind it) or this is an early test of the waters before they come back with another plan.

Either they voted against it to protect their image when they knew when everyone else was against it (but everyone already knows who's behind it) or this is an early test of the waters before they come back with another plan.
I would just love the so called big six to sod
off to a sterile European super league ( which will eventually die ) and we can enjoy our domestic game together with our own Euro competitions that clubs actually have to qualify for.

At the end of the day, though, it has started a conversation, which may ultimately have been their aim. I don’t like the obvious elements, but would you be totally surprised if there was a watered down agreement that was announced in the not too distant future?

At the end of the day, though, it has started a conversation, which may ultimately have been their aim. I don’t like the obvious elements, but would you be totally surprised if there was a watered down agreement that was announced in the not too distant future?

That's what I meant by the last part of my post about this being a test of the waters.

That's what I meant by the last part of my post about this being a test of the waters.

They’ve been planning this for years - try and sneak it out there with big money promises to save the lower leagues, and get called out for being the despicable power grabbing bastards that they are

It’s been a joy to behold

Takes me back to the 1970s & 80s.

Every 2 to 3 years there were articles in football mags like Match Weekly with titles like: Is The "Super League" Coming?

"Not this shite again" said every football fan. "Never going to happen"

Sadly the Football League were no more clued up than we were. I well remember the uneasy feeling of dread I got watching those Sky ads in 92 telling me it was "a whole new ball game" The obvious Americanism of that particular phrase told you everything about what was coming really.
It only took a few years to see that the fears were well founded as the telly money appeared & then gradually eclipsed everything else.

I get the same feeling with this.

Dread.

You can't stop stuff like this when the seeds are planted.

All those clubs that agreed to join the new Premier League all those years ago basically sold away their chances to ever win the league they were joining & they did it willingly.
Turkeys voting for Xmas.

It'll happen again.

For betting fans out there (BN) Everton, Arsenal and Newcastle wins today give a hefty 115/1 treble.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4391
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4384
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4366
8Coventry City4263