Premiership - who's going down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its looking like it will be a tight battle, with bolton notching up a win. Im glad so far theres no Derby/Sunderland-type team whos the team that just stay at the bottom.

12 Stoke 11 -6 13
13 Blackburn 11 -7 13
14 Sunderland 11 -7 12
15 Fulham 10 -1 11
16 Wigan 11 -3 11
17 Bolton 11 -3 11
18 West Brom 11 -8 11
19 Tottenham 11 -4 9
20 Newcastle 10 -6 9

Its looking like it will be a tight battle, with bolton notching up a win. Im glad so far theres no Derby/Sunderland-type team whos the team that just stay at the bottom.

12 Stoke 11 -6 13
13 Blackburn 11 -7 13
14 Sunderland 11 -7 12
15 Fulham 10 -1 11
16 Wigan 11 -3 11
17 Bolton 11 -3 11
18 West Brom 11 -8 11
19 Tottenham 11 -4 9
20 Newcastle 10 -6 9

Please let it be GL! Come on everyone who plays Bolton, put that extra bit of effort in. Relegate GL by New Year!

Simply as a neutral, I want to see the world's best play beautiful football. One-two's and 25 yarders, not long throw-ins and high balls. I want the 20 best footballing sides in the country in England's top division.

It's like watching teams at Cricket win using underarm bowling.

No it's not. Not only would underarm bowling be very ineffective, it's against the rules. For that reason your comparison doesn't work.

The idea that teams playing to their strengths is somehow anti-football shows, in my opinion, a profound misunderstanding of the game. The term 'football purist', which you might or might not use to describe yourself, is actually a misnomer. If your team plays to their strengths within the rules to an acceptable degree (id est, if they don't outright cheat and avoid being punished for so doing), and they get results by playing that way, then football tells us (both in its laws and by the results achieved) that there's nothing wrong with this. There is surely nothing wrong with looking at your opponent's strengths and playing away from them?

I think some people are trying to change football into something it isn't, and if and when they succeed in doing that the game becomes a different game. If you change a game beyond recognition, it will start to lose its fans; they'll lose interest in a game they no longer know, and they'll find another hobby.

You may have noticed that this is just my opinion. I do like to see sleek passing moves, superb 25-yard strikes, flicks and tricks. But I also like to see a crunching tackle from a big ugly bastard centre half, well-planned set-pieces, headed goals and, dare I say it, the occasional long ball.

Do we love the game for what it is or do we want to change it?

Last edited:
Great post BM (no offense...), I like that too. Yes, I love Real Madrid - Manchester United on a perfect golf green, but I also love Brentford - Aldershot on a mud field. Quality isn't always the most important thing IMO.

It's football.

Amazing, if this thread had been run before a ball had been kicked majority would have said Hull plus 2 more.

Hope their good run continues, (also I'd like a big club to take the drop, but feel Spurs and Newcastle are starting to turn the corner, bastards......)

Amazing, if this thread had been run before a ball had been kicked majority would have said Hull plus 2 more.

Hope their good run continues, (also I'd like a big club to take the drop, but feel Spurs and Newcastle are starting to turn the corner, bastards......)

Hull have 20 pts - but may well need another 20 pts plus to survive given the much more even distribution of points this season.

I hope that they survive but expect them to finish in the bottom 6 and I think they still are in danger of relegation.

I don't think that there is any likelihood of Spurs or Newcastle being relegated. Not impossible of course but highly unlikely.

Hull have 20 pts - but may well need another 20 pts plus to survive given the much more even distribution of points this season.

I hope that they survive but expect them to finish in the bottom 6 and I think they still are in danger of relegation.

I don't think that there is any likelihood of Spurs or Newcastle being relegated. Not impossible of course but highly unlikely.

I've a feeling West Ham will struggle with Zola. A massive gamble by the cockney boys.

I've a feeling West Ham will struggle with Zola. A massive gamble by the cockney boys.

You may well be right BB - the gut instinct is that he looks more like a loser than a winner. How many times have 'fancy dan' footballers been appointed as managers on the basis that their teams will play the beautiful game and then proved a disappointment?

You may well be right BB - the gut instinct is that he looks more like a loser than a winner. How many times have 'fancy dan' footballers been appointed as managers on the basis that their teams will play the beautiful game and then proved a disappointment?

I also know from a hammers fan at work that their supporters are very intolerable when things go against them.
A few years ago West Ham were relegated from the prem with the highest points total to go down. The following season in the championship under Pardew, they were knocking around the play-offs for most of the season. The fans though were going ballistic, they expected automatic promotion.
According to the chap at work, they are not satisfied with prem safety, they actually see themselves as a top 6 club. Such is the ridiculous high expectation, i can only see a disaster for both Zola and West Ham

Last edited:
I also know from a hammers fan at work that their supporters are very intolerable when things go against them.
A few years ago West Ham were relegated from the prem with the highest points total to go down. The following season in the championship under Pardew, they were knocking around the play-offs for most of the season. The fans though were going ballistic, they expected automatic promotion.
According to the chap at work, they are not satisfied with prem safety, they actually see themselves as a top 6 club. Such is the ridiculous high expectation, i can only see a disaster for both Zola and West Ham

As we were saying BB.....another Saturday, another home defeat for West Ham.

They took an enormous risk in appointing Zola and I'm afraid it's looking threatening.

As we were saying BB.....another Saturday, another home defeat for West Ham.

They took an enormous risk in appointing Zola and I'm afraid it's looking threatening.

Makes me think they will want him out before xmas. Owners panic when they see their premier pot of gold in danger.

Extraordinary stuff this season. Bolton as it stands are 11th and every single team beneath them could mathematically pass them with their next match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669