Puel out

Status
Not open for further replies.
If our club are dictating that we can no longer spend money, they should have the guts to say so and not expect the manager to front it up.

I completely understand our predicament. We have two massive infrastructure investments on-going and no guarantees of excess income any longer. Our Chairman and leader has died.

It also appears that we've taken out a couple of huge loans recently (one against the not yet received income for Mahrez) and the other for the training ground. Amounting to £136m, these are to be repaid against anticipated future income over the next couple of years. And they're not even including the greatest expense of the stadium.

That means that we'll be a net selling club for a while. And given the sort of message given by Puel about his level of ambition, there won't be a shortage of players that are happy to wave the club goodbye for realistic prospects of winning things.

Sign 'em cheap, sell 'em dear. Develop 'em, then sell 'em. That's the new mantra. And the only thing that matters is avoiding relegation. Cup runs are dangerous distractions from that. Maybe we do have the right manager for our club after all.

Back to my original point, if that's the plan, say so. If we have a 40k stadium and a £100m training ground to show for it and manage to stay as a Premier League side throughout, so be it. We just need to make sure that we don't get too invested in any of these young players because they're likely to be off as soon as someone is willing to pay enough. Oh, and I'm almost certain that it will end in tears because that sort of plan always does.

We've tried being a selling club before and it doesn't work. Ever decreasing circles.

We are undoubtedly in a very good position. We have a number of very talented young players. All that's required is a bit more entertainment.

So which of Liverpool, Man City, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal or Man Utd should we displacing right now?

Considering we lost our greatest ever player in the summer and then our chairman a few months ago, 7th right now seems perfectly, if not more than, respectable.

I believe if we finished 7th it will be our best finish bar the title of course which would be the perfect foundation to attempt to break the top 6 next season.

Unless we are meant to do a Leeds and spend money we don't have and no guarantee of success?

Building a state of the art training ground, expanding the ground and building a young squad seems to be the best way to prepare for making the next step and ensuring we have the best possible platform for long and sustainable success.

Baggies fans had that attitude about “the football” hounded Pulis’ our and now they are whining we just took their best player back from them, this team isn’t finished, for whatever reason Silva hasn’t worked but I suspect Puel would want someone who’s a much better passer in there too, it’s what he had in France before

I guarantee a lot of baggies fans are still delighted Pulis left the club. They are now playing an expansive attacking game under a manager they all respect and have a personal connection with.

People watch football for different reasons. Your use of quotation marks is telling.

Last edited:
I guarantee a lot of baggies fans are still delighted Pulis left the club. They are now playing an expansive attacking game under a manager they all respect and have a personal connection with.

People watch football for different reasons.

As seasons went by with them being safe but playing shit football for nothing by February their fans left many empty seats. Does suggest many fans watch football because they're interested in football rather than just having a safe league position. If we continue to go for that model then the stadium expansion will probably be a complete waste of time.

Yes, because football was only invented in 1992

FFS

So we are meant to emulate success last seen in the 60s but forgetting the relative shite for the 50-years in between?

I think it's safe to say that for the vast majority of our fans, bar the PL win, they have never seen us finish as high as 7th at the highest level.

I'll ask again then, so which of the current top six should we be displacing right now?

I just read this, and I think BN is bang on the money here. Claude is having to front for the club. I will be shocked in the summer if we have a net negative transfer spend based on that. The message from Claude, ironically, was clear: we are developing players and we won’t be spending a lot of money. He’s preparing us for a summer of departures there.

Or he's saying we can't afford to buy top players at their peak but we have to buy younger prospects and try to develop them into top players ourselves?

Even if your scenario was the case, how would it be Puel's fault and surely it would make his job of breaking into the top 6 even harder?

So we are meant to emulate success last seen in the 60s but forgetting the relative shite for the 50-years in between?

I think it's safe to say that for the vast majority of our fans, bar the PL win, they have never seen us finish as high as 7th at the highest level.

I'll ask again then, so which of the current top six should we be displacing right now?

When is the cut off year for considering historical league finishes? Is our worst position 12th?

I don't think we should be displacing anyone. I wouldn't say it's impossible though and not bother to try like he did last year with not trying to finish above Burnley....feckin Burnley ffs.

Ranieri only wanted to get to 40 points and win the next game and the next game and the ones after that. Puel and the club probably have the same aim.

I don't see a problem with trying to focus on lesser well known and younger players, a lot of smaller clubs have to rely on having decent youth set ups and scouting teams if they are to become successful whereas the bigger clubs can just come in and prize those players away. It's also a good route to go down in terms of the business side of things. If he's suggesting we can't compete with Everton, Wolves and West Ham though then that seems a bit ludicrous - we are at least on a par with them and our title win wasn't that long ago that we shouldn't still be able to attract a few internationals to the club if we wanted.

When is the cut off year for considering historical league finishes? Is our worst position 12th?

I don't think we should be displacing anyone. I wouldn't say it's impossible though and not bother to try like he did last year with not trying to finish above Burnley....feckin Burnley ffs.

There is no cut off but it is usually better to consider recent finishes when talking about our expectations, and not basing them on some select history 50+years ago.

And if you actually think he didn't want to finish as high as possible last season, it just shows how ludicrous the general opinion on here is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263