Quick quick quick CL

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the attendances, somebody mentioned on here that they have a target figure on a whiteboard for the games, I think it was 24k for Stoke and 26k for Ipswich. I have also heard since that the budget for this year had been based on an average attendance of 24k. So the Conners money gets less and less for CL.
Just to cheer you all up a bit more ;) :081:

Graz said:
The problem isn't with Connolly leaving, it's with the lack of a decent replacement.

As I said in another thread, I don't want us to have to rush out and buy a striker in January because we have to play catch up, when it's already obvious NOW that we need another striker!

And hopefully In Hume we have just bought one,give him a chance eh? Maybe he's the only suitable replacement available,believe it or not we are not the most attractive of proposition for a Lethal Finisher etc.

Give him a chance? Some have already decided Hume is crap based on a load of bitter ramblings by Tranmere fans...

there is naff all we can do about this, Connolly wanted to go so we just have to hope CL knows what he is doing and can see a bargain!

highland fox said:
With Connolly,MDV and Dublin how were we going to score more goals than last Season?OK with Hume,MDV,Hammond we may not score as many but if that is the case then CL will have around £700,000 to spend in January to rectify it.Things needed to change up front and money is needed to make those changes.In the end it was Connolly's choice to go,he wanted it.You seem to be ignoring that fact SF if he'd have said 'No,I want to stay' then we wouldn't be having this thread.

Things did need to change up front. However, its customary to try to ship out the ones that don't score not the only one that did!

On another note, I didn't see the club fight to hard to keep him. 2 million is nice money, but not if it means we get relegated because of our inability to score goals. DC wanted to play in the prem, not necessarily for Wigan! If we had any ambition we could have pursuaded him that he could achieve his ambition, but with us.

I'm not getting at you. Its just my opinion that we have now weakened our already pretty frail attack. Goals win games! And sadly it doesn't look like we have them in this team.

Sorry, its just my opinion! Not everyones cup of tea, but why have a forum if we can't have differing points of view every now and again!

Naughty Fox said:
On the attendances, somebody mentioned on here that they have a target figure on a whiteboard for the games, I think it was 24k for Stoke and 26k for Ipswich. I have also heard since that the budget for this year had been based on an average attendance of 24k. So the Conners money gets less and less for CL.
Just to cheer you all up a bit more ;) :081:

That is not true.

SilverFox said:
highland fox said:
With Connolly,MDV and Dublin how were we going to score more goals than last Season?OK with Hume,MDV,Hammond we may not score as many but if that is the case then CL will have around £700,000 to spend in January to rectify it.Things needed to change up front and money is needed to make those changes.In the end it was Connolly's choice to go,he wanted it.You seem to be ignoring that fact SF if he'd have said 'No,I want to stay' then we wouldn't be having this thread.
Things did need to change up front. However, its customary to try to ship out the ones that don't score not the only one that did!

On another note, I didn't see the club fight to hard to keep him. 2 million is nice money, but not if it means we get relegated because of our inability to score goals. DC wanted to play in the prem, not necessarily for Wigan! If we had any ambition we could have pursuaded him that he could achieve his ambition, but with us.

I'm not getting at you. Its just my opinion that we have now weakened our already pretty frail attack. Goals win games! And sadly it doesn't look like we have them in this team.

Sorry, its just my opinion! Not everyones cup of tea, but why have a forum if we can't have differing points of view every now and again!

As regular readers will know, I am in complete agreement with you. ;)

I am very disappointed in the reaction of many of the posters on this forum, who have on the basis of witnessing 2 performances from Elvis and none from Ian Hume suddenly condemned us to League 1.

Who had heard of David Nugent prior to last season yet he has taken this league by storm, and yet he had been dropped by Bury that season as he was struggling to make an impact.

Give the new players a chance for fecks sake, you were all moaning last season because we had no young players, then when we have a new manager brave enough to go with youth, he gets slagged for signing unproven players. Maybe he should have re-signed Dabizas, Blake, Gemmill etc because at least they were "proven".

Fecking fickle boneheads, why dont you support the team and the new players and give em a chance, if by January when they have played 20 - 25 games then start making your judgements and constructive criticism. Dont slag players off who you havent seen play, give them time then form your own opinion.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
I am very disappointed in the reaction of many of the posters on this forum, who have on the basis of witnessing 2 performances from Elvis and none from Ian Hume suddenly condemned us to League 1.

Who had heard of David Nugent prior to last season yet he has taken this league by storm, and yet he had been dropped by Bury that season as he was struggling to make an impact.

Give the new players a chance for fecks sake, you were all moaning last season because we had no young players, then when we have a new manager brave enough to go with youth, he gets slagged for signing unproven players. Maybe he should have re-signed Dabizas, Blake, Gemmill etc because at least they were "proven".

Fecking fickle boneheads, why dont you support the team and the new players and give em a chance, if by January when they have played 20 - 25 games then start making your judgements and constructive criticism. Dont slag players off who you havent seen play, give them time then form your own opinion.

I like all the sense you talk :038: :038: :038:

the fact Hume hasn't scored that many at a lower level is hardly a cause for panic, alot of those games he played when he was a teenager, also the standard of service he got at Tranmere can't have been that good!

DC's hardly been that prolific throughout his career anyway and how many of his goals last season were penalties?

on top of that I'm sure Hughes' service will make a big difference to the number of goals we score when he returns.

Fickle boneheads you lot!

Up until last February you would not have thought Connolly could be sold for £2 let alone £2 million. Several of his goals were penalties and I do not really count them. Even this season, across all games, who would have rated Connolly as a £2-3 million striker. Remember we laughed all the way to the bank when we sold Heskey for £7 million!

Certainly in a couple of games I saw, it was MDV who did the holding up and the passing to set Connolly up. He can still do the same job for Hammond and Hume.

So now we have two young, fast hungry strikers instead of one older slower striker who never lived up to the promise of his previous record.

It is good business, we have spare cash and CL has more options. We have de Vries, Dublin, Hammond and Hume with the pace and skill of Hughes, Williams and Sylla in support. Get it right on the training pitch and we should be able to rip through most defences in this league.

And there is always the secret weapon in reserve - Morris!

Now, if CL can just cut out those stupid, floaty corners and get it whipped in and glancing off Dublins head into the corner of the net!

Mike - True Blue Tinter said:
Now, if CL can just cut out those stupid, floaty corners and get it whipped in and glancing off Dublins head into the corner of the net!
:038: :038: :038:

Yorkshire Vixen said:
the corners at the other end are just as big a problem
Correct, and if something isn't changed we will continue to leak goals :icon_sad:

LS6_Fox said:
Correct, and if something isn't changed we will continue to leak goals :icon_sad:

has anyone got a breakdown of the goals we have conceded, like from corners from free kicks etc

even if you want to estimate...

PFKAKTF FOX said:

I don't think it is like that.

I guess most critics agree that from a financial standpoint that it was good sense and good business to sell DC for £2m. It will stay at £2m because Wigan will be surely relegated. They were desparate ,have paid well over the odds and we have done well.

However, the jury remains out on the 'replacements' that are being brought in and I am bold enough to say that i want to be convinced about CL's judgement . Having followed MA , who I didn't rate at all, and having seen CL clear out a lot of dead wood, I like almost all City supporters truly want to believe we have a fine, up and coming manager - let's hope that is the case.

The bottom line is that we were always going to struggle to score goals and that position looks worse this morning. I can't think of any rational case for saying that Hammond and Hume are going to score as many goals as would have been likely from DC - who himself is hardly a Pele!

It looks to me like we are going to struggle all season now. Presumably, there will be a few quid held in reserve for January to try to save the bacon if there is a serious threat of relegation.

As i have said before - we have been in a downward spiral for a good while now and your post doesn't convince me that yesterday was the start of a much needed upturn.

Redditch Fox said:
PFKAKTF FOX said:

I don't think it is like that.

I guess most critics agree that from a financial standpoint that it was good sense and good business to sell DC for £2m. It will stay at £2m because Wigan will be surely relegated. They were desparate ,have paid well over the odds and we have done well.

However, the jury remains out on the 'replacements' that are being brought in and I am bold enough to say that i want to be convinced about CL's judgement . Having followed MA , who I didn't rate at all, and having seen CL clear out a lot of dead wood, I like almost all City supporters truly want to believe we have a fine, up and coming manager - let's hope that is the case.

The bottom line is that we were always going to struggle to score goals and that position looks worse this morning. I can't think of any rational case for saying that Hammond and Hume are going to score as many goals as would have been likely from DC - who himself is hardly a Pele!

It looks to me like we are going to struggle all season now. Presumably, there will be a few quid held in reserve for January to try to save the bacon if there is a serious threat of relegation.

As I have said before - we have been in a downward spiral for a good while now and your post doesn't convince me that yesterday was the start of a much needed upturn.

You were right about MA and sadly I think you are right about this deal. The price we got was excellent and I would have sold Connolly at those prices. On the other hand we have also seen CL make his first serious mistake. :icon_sad: An attacking midfielder is no replacement. :mad:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670