Reid, Royle or Souness

Status
Not open for further replies.
re souness - as said previously he was asked about the wigan job and said hes heard nothing from them and that itd be a good job for someone because the chariman lets you get on with the job in hand then he went onto say too many chairmen/boards interfere with the playing side too much......

i think we can rule souness out of the running

Anybody else get the feeling that this week is going to pass without incident on the managerial front and then, if we do not get hammered on Saturday, Burrows and Taggs will be "given the opportunity to prove themselves" for the rest of the season?
No inside knowledge, just a hunch.

re souness - as said previously he was asked about the wigan job and said hes heard nothing from them and that itd be a good job for someone because the chariman lets you get on with the job in hand then he went onto say too many chairmen/boards interfere with the playing side too much......

i think we can rule souness out of the running

He also said that he'd like to work with a Chairman who is a 'Football' man.MM may have a lot of faults but he does have a love for the game,I doubt anyone could question that

Three options according to Milan - one of them being Taggs/Burrows. It's not going to be done and dusted by Saturday if the old fool doesn't know himself who he wants. I could have sworn he said it would be a quick appointment when Smegson left.

In a way, I hope Burnley stuff us otherwise MM will take the cheap route and go for Taggs/Burrows.

i got the impression that he was angling after the wigan job

Slightly more likely - Republic of Ireland.

But I agree he isn't interested in managing City.

Only the desperate are interested. Milan may be a 'football man' but he is also a problem unfortunately as are the unrealistic expectations of us supporters.

Not a good situation - possibly needs someone to come in and tell the truth - dismiss Milan's unrealistic hopes for this season and tell the fans that we are just a struggling championship outfit with lots of hard slog needed to turn things round.

Slightly more likely - Republic of Ireland.

But I agree he isn't interested in managing City.

Only the desperate are interested. Milan may be a 'football man' but he is also a problem unfortunately as are the unrealistic expectations of us supporters.

Not a good situation - possibly needs someone to come in and tell the truth - dismiss Milan's unrealistic hopes for this season and tell the fans that we are just a struggling championship outfit with lots of hard slog needed to turn things round.
Bang on, we need to get real, no new manager will work miracles, surely it's got to be a longer term revival plan

The longer it goes on the the more chance it being someone half decent IMO. If it was a Reid, Royal etc then i'd imagine it wouldn't take so long to put together. I have a sneaky feeling it'll be Tigana....... Plllllllllllllllllease!!!!!!

Bang on, we need to get real, no new manager will work miracles, surely it's got to be a longer term revival plan

thats ok in principle but what if milan wont/doesnt want to wait that long :102: and what if new manager gets a better offer say 6 months down the line from the premiership and he wants to go :102:

The longer it goes on the the more chance it being someone half decent IMO.

I would like to hope so. I suspect he was not happy with any of the duffers he's seen so far, so he was desperately trying to get someone else (e.g. Tigana)

It aounds, however, that he might be back to sqaure one

Taggs/Burrows, Royle and A.N.Other (hopefully not Reid) I reckon:

http://www.thebluearmy.co.uk/details.asp?key=1D29|0|2185366269754|R|536|6513268112007335994231

Milan's list

The caretaker duo of Frank Burrows and Gerry Taggart are one of three options that Milan Mandaric is weighing up for the vacant Leicester City manager's post.

City chairman Mandaric revealed he has drawn up a short-list of three from which he will pick the new manager.

And he admitted that caretaker boss Burrows and his assistant Taggart, who have led City since Gary Megson's departure to Bolton two weeks ago, are in his thinking.
Mandaric said: “We have a short-list of three.

“One possibility, as it always was before, is to continue with Frank Burrows and Gerry Taggart and their staff, with maybe an addition to help them.”

City are unbeaten in the league under the caretaker duo, having won against Barnsley and drawn at Colchester and Preston. They also went within a whisker of causing a major Carling Cup shock at Chelsea before going down 4-3.

If they were appointed, the duo are likely to receive backing from inside the dressing room, as DJ Campbell suggested after his goal-scoring performance in the 1-1 draw against Preston on Tuesday.

The £2million signing said: “It's up to what the chairman wants. I am sure the boys wouldn't mind them having it but, if not, we get on with it.”

Speculation over who else is in Mandaric's thoughts has intensified in recent days as the search for a new manager appears to be drawing to a close.

Former Everton boss Joe Royle, pictured left, has previously admitted to having talks over the position.

His experience of winning promotion from Championship level with Oldham and Manchester City, and of taking Ipswich to play-off spots in 2004 and 2005, could be an attraction.

Paul Jewell, Peter Reid and Graeme Souness, who also have experience of managing sides to Premiership promotion, have also been mentioned in speculation about the job.

So too has ex-French international midfielder Jean Tigana, the former Fulham manager, whose name surfaced earlier this week and who has been reported as having had talks with the City owner.

Mandaric is still hopeful of appointing a full-time boss before City face Burnley in their important Championship clash at the Walkers Stadium on Saturday.

However, he appears in no mood to rush with another two-week international break on the horizon.

“I am trying to see if I can make the decision before Saturday,” he said.

“I am not 100-per-cent confident everything will be done before then.

“We have two weeks after that to work and prepare for the continuation of the season. But my preference and desire is to do something before Saturday.”

Last edited:
The longer it goes on the the more chance it being someone half decent IMO. If it was a Reid, Royal etc then i'd imagine it wouldn't take so long to put together. I have a sneaky feeling it'll be Tigana....... Plllllllllllllllllease!!!!!!

You may just well be right, Tigana would be awesome.

Personally I think Burrows/Taggart long term would be a disasterous appointment.However if he's not confident of an appointment before Saturday then I fail to se how it will be them

Last edited:
Personally I think Burrows/Taggart long term would be a disasterous appointment.However if he's not confident of an appointment before Saturday then I fail to se how it will be them

Me too - but is it a better short term option than Peter Reid or Joe Royle whilst we wait for Billy Davies to walk out, or for Cov to go into admin and pick up Dowie for nowt ??

Me too - but is it a better short term option than Peter Reid or Joe Royle whilst we wait for Billy Davies to walk out, or for Cov to go into admin and pick up Dowie for nowt ??

I see what you mean but IMO under those pair we are going nowhere,in limbo and I only see us heading one way whilst all this uncertainty continues...I do think what you said about Dowie might be very tue though

Last edited:
thats ok in principle but what if milan wont/doesnt want to wait that long :102: and what if new manager gets a better offer say 6 months down the line from the premiership and he wants to go :102:

On the first point - Milan has no choice. Since he clearly wants to call all the shots then he has to take responsibility. He has messed up so far. Leaving aside the managerial toings and goings - he has overseen lots of his money wasted on mainly poor acquisitions resulting in the playing results being only very slightly better than before he took over. There is going to be no promotion this year and in my opinion it is unwise to saddle a manager with that most unlikely objective.

On the second - there is nothing that can be done about that. If a manager seriously wants to break his contract and move to a better job then there are ways of doing that e.g. he reigns first and leaves the respective clubs to sort out the financial matters later. Similarly, if a club wants to get rid of a contractedmanager - they just do it and its just a matter of the pay off.

I don't think HF is being negative. In all fairness, since Adams & then Levein went, nothing much has changed in terms of the results and in spite of Milan having money we seem to find it increasingly difficult to attract decent candidates. It's difficult.

On the first point - Milan has no choice. Since he clearly wants to call all the shots then he has to take responsibility. He has messed up so far. Leaving aside the managerial toings and goings - he has overseen lots of his money wasted on mainly poor acquisitions resulting in the playing results being only very slightly better than before he took over. There is going to be no promotion this year and in my opinion it is unwise to saddle a manager with that most unlikely objective.

On the second - there is nothing that can be done about that. If a manager seriously wants to break his contract and move to a better job then there are ways of doing that e.g. he reigns first and leaves the respective clubs to sort out the financial matters later. Similarly, if a club wants to get rid of a contractedmanager - they just do it and its just a matter of the pay off.

I don't think HF is being negative. In all fairness, since Adams & then Levein went, nothing much has changed in terms of the results and in spite of Milan having money we seem to find it increasingly difficult to attract decent candidates. It's difficult.

i agree with what youve said it really is the luck of the draw whether an appointment is going to work out :102:

I think we may be being a bit quick to criticise the Taggs/Burrows partnership. Aside from a disappointing first half display at Deepdale, I think they've done ok TBH. Moving Fryatt to his new position could well be a master-stroke too. I would prefer these stay on than get Reid or Royle I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669