Reid, Royle or Souness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't understand on what grounds we're touting Newell. At Hartlepool he finalised a promotion which someone else earned and he nearly messed up, then he won another promotion with Luton, whom he ultimately got relegated. He's never had success at this level, nor above.

Burrows has had more success than Newell in the lower leagues as a manager (promotions with Portsmouth and twice with Cardiff, I think, and no obvious blots on his copy book either) and he´s had an almost flawless record in this league as a coach. Plus he's had some experience of football at a higher level, as a long-term coach of West Brom and, more successfully, West Ham.

On what grounds, exactly, are we assuming that he is 'not a proper solution' to our problem? Especially if we bring in an experienced 'Director of Football' or coach, as Milan has suggested.

Newell is damaged goods because of his comments about agents/bungs though, I think that's a big part of MM's thinking.

I still don't understand on what grounds we're touting Newell. At Hartlepool he finalised a promotion which someone else earned and he nearly messed up, then he won another promotion with Luton, whom he ultimately got relegated. He's never had success at this level, nor above.

Burrows has had more success than Newell in the lower leagues as a manager (promotions with Portsmouth and twice with Cardiff, I think, and no obvious blots on his copy book either) and he´s had an almost flawless record in this league as a coach. Plus he's had some experience of football at a higher level, as a long-term coach of West Brom and, more successfully, West Ham.

On what grounds, exactly, are we assuming that he is 'not a proper solution' to our problem? Especially if we bring in an experienced 'Director of Football' or coach, as Milan has suggested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Burrows

He seemed to jump before he was pushed a few times and a good few falling outs there.I just think Newell is more unexposed and its hard to know how good he could be but its only opnions:102:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Burrows

He seemed to jump before he was pushed a few times and a good few falling outs there.I just think Newell is more unexposed and its hard to know how good he could be but its only opnions:102:

It is indeed

But Newell divides opinion into those who hate the shit-stirring loudmouth tosser, and those who think the shit-stirring loudmouth tosser could actually do a good job

Sounds like MM might believe the former, sadly

Last edited:
From the Merc....

“One possibility, as it always was before, is to continue with Frank Burrows and Gerry Taggart and their staff, with maybe an addition to help them.”

If they were appointed, the duo are likely to receive backing from inside the dressing room, as DJ Campbell suggested after his goal-scoring performance in the 1-1 draw against Preston on Tuesday.

The £2million signing said: “It's up to what the chairman wants. I am sure the boys wouldn't mind them having it but, if not, we get on with it.”

I bet DJ would love them to continue.

He would hate a manager to come in and spot how shit he is.

Two points - as far as Burrows jumping before pushed is concerned, my reading would be that he had conflicts with various boards over lack of funding and left of his own accord. I still don't see anything in Newell's record to suggest he can be successful at this level, save for one season with Luton in a lower league. Burrows has had more success in the lower leagues, less failures in this league and, as a coach, has been very successful - even in the top flight with West Ham. I still don't fully see what could make a person think of Newell as a better option than Burrows, regardless of how much of a cnut he is or isn't.

Secondly, I'm starting to get confused as to why I'm even talking about Mike Newell. We have a shortlist of three, I'm guessing Jewell, Newell, Davies and Souness have no place on it. In fact, who the hell are the 'most likely options' now? O´Leary? Dowie? Holloway? Royle? Reid? Tigana? Little and Grayson? Ling? If Mandaric is now openly discussing the possibility of appointing Burrows, it suggests to me he's a long long way off finding anything else which could placate the fans. So we're either going to get no manager, or a manager we don't want.

From the Merc....

“One possibility, as it always was before, is to continue with Frank Burrows and Gerry Taggart and their staff, with maybe an addition to help them.”

If they were appointed, the duo are likely to receive backing from inside the dressing room, as DJ Campbell suggested after his goal-scoring performance in the 1-1 draw against Preston on Tuesday.

The £2million signing said: “It's up to what the chairman wants. I am sure the boys wouldn't mind them having it but, if not, we get on with it.”

I bet DJ would love them to continue.

He would hate a manager to come in and spot how shit he is.

I think he's finally finding his feet and will get 15 this season. I was one of his biggest critics but he seems to have turned it around

I think he's finally finding his feet and will get 15 this season. I was one of his biggest critics but he seems to have turned it around

I'd agree with that - might be a decent signing after all

Wish we could say the same about some of the other feckers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673