replacement for connolly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dickovforengland! said:
Err hold on, how about starting Elvis up front and giving him a chance before writing him off.
I'm for one am not writing him off, I just don't think he will be a prolific goalscorer, he does look however like he will give his all and will be a crowd favourite.

Dickovforengland! said:
Err hold on, how about starting Elvis up front and giving him a chance before writing him off. DC looked like a 15-20 goals a season man at best.

The King is dead, long live the king!

We lose DC and we are relegation material. Have a word, he was good but not exactly prolific. Elvis is no donkey, when he has had to play on the wing he invariably beats his man in a tight situation or wins the free kick. He has got good feet and only some good saves have kept him off the score sheet so far.

Don't get me wrong, I like Elvis and think he can come good for us eventually, but I just don't expect him to be prolific or score as many as Connolly.

And other than Connolly, who really scores for us? We didn't score many last season as it was. If you don't score goals, you will get relegated.

And even if Elvis starts banging in 10 goals a game, 3 strikers isn't enough, especially when one of them is 36 and can't last 90 minutes anymore.

We were struggling to score many goals with DC in the side and unless CL signs a proven striker, I have to admit I'm very worried!

Dickovforengland! said:
Err hold on, how about starting Elvis up front and giving him a chance before writing him off. DC looked like a 15-20 goals a season man at best.

The King is dead, long live the king!

We lose DC and we are relegation material. Have a word, he was good but not exactly prolific. Elvis is no donkey, when he has had to play on the wing he invariably beats his man in a tight situation or wins the free kick. He has got good feet and only some good saves have kept him off the score sheet so far.

Finally someone on this forum that speaks sence and doesnt fly off the handle. Pull yourselves together everyone. Give Elvis a chance up front before you slaughter him. Who says he is Conners replacement, Skysports? give me a break, how do we know he's not been brought in for cover for Sylla? we are hardly blessed for players on the right, and when hes played there hes looked good. We know CL likes utility players, and with 2mil to spend, I cant see that being it, especially when he has said he has a list of players to bring in, what would be the point of the list if he wasnt gonna use it. I for one have faith in his signings, and im sure he will pull some thing out of his sleeve again.

He WON'T have £2m to spend!

Why would we sell one of our best players for £2m, and then the board let CL spend all of that? We havn't got much money, which is why we can't afford to turn them down. CL won't get more than £1.5m to spend, at most.

yeah levein might have a list of targets but it doesnt mean to say they will want to come here or clubs accepting our bids that could mean we have the possibility of elvis and mdv up front THATS the worrying thing

Graz said:
He WON'T have £2m to spend!

Why would we sell one of our best players for £2m, and then the board let CL spend all of that? We havn't got much money, which is why we can't afford to turn them down. CL won't get more than £1.5m to spend, at most.

£1.5 mil is enough to get 3 decent players at this level, dont forget we spent £500,000 getting Conners, and look at how well he did and how everyone is crying over him leaving. Who's to say we cant get someone that will come good like he did?

Yorkshire Vixen said:
yeah levein might have a list of targets but it doesnt mean to say they will want to come here or clubs accepting our bids that could mean we have the possibility of elvis and mdv up front THATS the worrying thing

I admit, if we dont sign anyone then that front pairing is alittle worrying, but how do we know that deals havnt already been agreed and in place for when Conners goes?

We could do, but I'm just worried.

The 3 strikers we have at the moment aren't enough for us, and we need more. Having money and being able to get players to actually join you are different things. Look at how much Wigan have and how much trouble they've had getting a player in! We only have 12 hours to sign any players we want to bring in, and bids could be rejected by clubs, players might not want to join, or medicals could be failed.

So I think for right now, we have every right to panic and be worried. Come midnight, hopefully it will be a different feeling.

It's all well and good saying we'll sign decent replacements, but until we acually do, I'm gonna be worried about it.

It seems strange to me that CL played Hammond in the reserves game last night? :102: I wonder if they were hoping he would score a few goals to give us some confidence in him.

just woken up and greeted with this news!

we have lost one of the best goalscorers in the division for around 2mil, and it looks like weve replaced him with elvis! who, frankly, looks like trev but a bit faster. And he cost 300,000!

we now have 1.7mil left, riodrahn(sp) will cost 500,000.

then we have 1.2mil left for a left back and another striker, considering the board will let CL spend all of it. I think the board will give him 1.5mil max, and if CL is going to bring in a 'big' player then we need some of connolly's transfer fee to pay is wages as well. All in all this would have been a good deal, if it had been a month earlier! now CL has 12 hours to bring in 3 players from 3 clubs and this is taking that wigan will pay us soon!

Its gonna be a tense few hours, and a lot of refreshing on sports websites looking for transfer news.....

(i posted this on the other topic as well.)

CL is'nt stupid and neither are the board, the Conners rumours have been around for ages and it seems that they were true, if that is the case then I would expect that CL has been working on signing replacements for the same amount of time, yes nothing is certain, but it would be a big gamble to let DC go and not have anybody else coming in.

Jedi said:
That doesn't mean anything. When we buy players you don't usually hear about it until it's a done deal except last season with the Jason MacAteer debacle!

Agreed. Just hope we have something up our sleeves that we don't about just in case.

Fawkeye said:
It seems strange to me that CL played Hammond in the reserves game last night? :102: I wonder if they were hoping he would score a few goals to give us some confidence in him.

Or it was a good chance to give him extra match fitness as we now have a 2wk break due to Internationals :102:

he's got to get someone else other than Elvis. He's scored like 1 goal in his life.

"Hibernian striker Derek Riordan has rejected a £500,000 move to Cardiff.
The two clubs agreed a fee last week, but the 22-year-old was reluctant to make the switch and was given the weekend to mull over his options.

Riordan's agent Jim McArthur has now confirmed that his player will stay at Hibs for the immediate future."

Doesn't look like we're getting him. That's it we're screwed, we'll do well to stay up. Was it the board's decision to sell? Does anyone think Levein had a say?

Ideally we would have another striker but we have made £1.5m on Connolly. Thankyou, good luck David, no hard feelings and no tears shed. If we can get a 14 goal a season striker for less than £1m we are in a better position than we were last year.

Or we sit on the cash for a bit get someone on loan or wait until January.

Wind the clock back a few month and a lot of City fans were doubting DC's ability, at that point £2m would have been gratefully accepted. I would prefer him to stay but if/when he goes I won't be sobbing into my pukka pie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669