replacement for connolly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice hair! :icon_lol:

hume_action.jpg

Steven said:
Be honest though, the current putative signings are not an adequate replacement (0 goals and the other has a 1 in 5 record) and I am happy to go with unproven talent as long as they are proven goal scorers in their respective leagues. ;)

Hume scored 14 in 2003/04 and 16 in 2004/05 thats quite proven in my eyes.Who do really expect us to be able to attract? We are A Championship side...

xsubmariner said:
Connolly only started scoring for us after Christmas. :102:
I know a striker is only as good as the service he is getting (steady on mrs...) but maybe we were becoming a little to dependent on him. Opposition knew this, how many defenders did he have marking him in the last few games.???.

Whoever starts up front will be unknown to us but, maybe even more importantly, unknown to our opponents, so it might just be a blessing in disguise;)

You might be right. It's just that as a Leicester City fan at the moment, I feel very uninspired. :icon_sad:

highland fox said:
Hume scored 14 in 2003/04 and 16 in 2004/05 thats quite proven in my eyes.Who do really expect us to be able to attract? We are A Championship side...

True but he will score fewer as he goes up the leagues and that makes him a 10 - 12 goal man from midfield. That might just keep us in this League meaning we will have another season like last. :icon_sad:

xsubmariner said:
Connolly only started scoring for us after Christmas. :102:
I know a striker is only as good as the service he is getting (steady on mrs...) but maybe we were becoming a little to dependent on him. Opposition knew this, how many defenders did he have marking him in the last few games.???.

Whoever starts up front will be unknown to us but, maybe even more importantly, unknown to our opponents, so it might just be a blessing in disguise;)

What you say is reasonably written and well intended. But it is not my understanding of the reality. Connolly has gone because we looked to cash in on Wigan's desparation. The footballing interests of LCFC did not come into the equation. This was sheer opportunism not planning - of course, anything is possible in football and it might work out. But this will be more to do with luck than judgement.

Ex-Submariner - do you think the bookies assessment of our potential relegation chances will have increased or decreased by these transactions?

xsubmariner said:
"Put away the sharp objects Mother, the Leicester pessimists are in town":icon_evil

Come on people, have a word with yourselves.....:075:

CL has said his intention is to get us promoted, (NOT RELEGATED!) do you really think he will let our potential top scorer go (who, let's face it, a lot of you wanted rid of just a few,short months ago) without having a contingency plan.
As for banking on unproven players, excuse me, what did a certain person (who some people seem to have multiple orgasms at the mere mention of his name) do during his successful time at City.

So, let's all "Calm Down ", put the kettle on and see what evolves,coz let's face it whatever we say on here will have no effect on the outcome.;)

Totally agree Calm yourselves down FFS.It makes me smile that People are saying 'How about Nugent' up until this time last year I bet Half of the people clambering for him hadn't even heard of him.IF we sell Connolly for 2 Million buy Hume and Hammond For £800,000 combined then I think its a good bit of business probably leaves CL with £700,000 to spend In January.Connolly was OK but I don't think his probable departure deserves all this panic/depression,have a word with yourselves...;)

Steven said:
True but he will score fewer as he goes up the leagues and that makes him a 10 - 12 goal man from midfield. That might just keep us in this League meaning we will have another season like last. :icon_sad:

What is he then? A midfielder or a striker?

Steven said:

Why will he? He'll be playing as Striker.Who would you like to see? Riordan ? You think he'll definately score 20 goals for us?

SilverFox said:
What is he then? A midfielder or a striker?

Hes a Striker who can also operate in Midfield SF,trust me he is a decent little player;)

I still think there could be another one on the way... Maybe that's just wishful thinking though. I think some people are being too negative, but I can't see Hume and Hammond scoring as many as DC would've got. However, time will tell, and I'm not going to write them off yet.

Where's MB when you need him!? I'm desperate for some news here! Surely the board can afford to give us a little bit more of the money? Kris Boyd was available for £200k wasn't he? Could still get him. 9 hours left for any deals!

You don't think there is any need to panick Highland, but I think people are entitled to! The only person who ever looked like scoring has gone and we are left with nothing but a gamble on a Canadian International from Tranmere! Forgive me if I don't explode with enthusiasm.

Sorry mate, but this is a glass is half empty situation IMO.

At the moment all I can think of is Banjo and Cows arse, and that about sums up our chances with DeVries and Dublin.

This is a very bad day!

I do not think you will see too much of Devries and Dublin together. I really like what I have seen of Hammond, just as long as we do not stick him out on the wing. At least Hume has scored a few goals, and one would assume that CL has had him seen a few times. Cheer up everyone!, Connolly has looked well off the pace at home to Luton and away to Hull.

SilverFox said:
You don't think there is any need to panick Highland, but I think people are entitled to! The only person who ever looked like scoring has gone and we are left with nothing but a gamble on a Canadian International from Tranmere! Forgive me if I don't explode with enthusiasm.

Sorry mate, but this is a glass is half empty situation IMO.

At the moment all I can think of is Banjo and Cows arse, and that about sums up our chances with DeVries and Dublin.

This is a very bad day!

You are entitled to your opinion SF,I really don't get the Depression hanging over this Forum.I've seenHume play probably 10 times and each time I have been impressed so No I'm not panicing,I'm actually more concerned about a god awful Defence at the moment.Wigan have offered a decent price for DC ,he'll will go if he wants to I don't see what could have been done to keep him.How much would you accept for him?.Every signing we make is going to be some sort of Gamble we can't afford 'Proven',you all want Riordan but how is he proven in this League or Boyd for that matter.

Ive seen a lot of Hulme on local TV up here in the NW, and he is quality (cant promise 20 goals though!)

highland fox said:
You are entitled to your opinion SF,I really don't get the Depression hanging over this Forum.I've seenHume play probably 10 times and each time I have been impressed so No I'm not panicing,I'm actually more concerned about a god awful Defence at the moment.Wigan have offered a decent price for DC ,he'll will go if he wants to I don't see what could have been done to keep him.How much would you accept for him?.Every signing we make is going to be some sort of Gamble we can't afford 'Proven',you all want Riordan but how is he proven in this League or Boyd for that matter.

My point is that we HAD a proven striker in David Connolly, and now we don't. I'm not demanding that the club go out and sign a proven goalscorer, I had just hoped they would try to keep hold of the ones they already have.:(

Steven said:
I am happy to go with unproven talent as long as they are proven goal scorers in their respective leagues. ;)

Paul Dickov scored 15 goals in a season for Man City in what is now league one.
So he was as 'proven' as Hume.

Sky are reporting that the Connolly fee is £2 million up front, plus up to a million more based on appearances and goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669