Rodgers future...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know people say you can’t sack for delivering Europe, but you can for failing to deliver champions league in a no pressure situation. Let’s make no mistake here... he ****ed a 15 point lead. This wasn’t something special teams did to us. There was enough dross to coast it. We did this to ourselves with piss poor management. We could even have tried to properly bolster the squad in January. Make a sensible investment to secure the very strong position we had. We didn’t.

Our form is that of a relegation threatened team and his answer is never, ‘I ****ed it’. It is ‘they ****ed it’.

Also I am ****ing terrified that Congerton will ruin the recruitment system we have worked so hard to make successful. If Bennett was the answer I shudder to ask what the question was.

I would let Rodgers go personally.

FFS, you're absolutely bananas.

Ok, let's play the game. Who would you hire? Who would you hire right now to do better than Brendan Rodgers and his team have this term?

FFS, you're absolutely bananas.

Ok, let's play the game. Who would you hire? Who would you hire right now to do better than Brendan Rodgers and his team have this term?

When Leicester City Football Club want to pay me to recruit a manager for them I will happily give the question some serious consideration Alex. Until then I have never subscribed to the ‘go on tell me who you’d hire’ defence. It was wheeled out with Puel and every manager before that. Right now there are probably dozens of managers who wouldn’t have squandered the position we had.

’Who would you hire?’ is always a terrible response to people who want a manager out. The only relevant questions when considering the position of a manager are ‘are they doing a good enough job?, and ‘do we trust them to do a good job in the future?’.

Answering the question as to who follows is a completely different process. You don’t, in any profession, keep hold of somebody doing a poor job because you’re scared of not finding somebody better. It’s the job of the club to find that somebody who is better.

Frankly, I’d appalled if there isn’t always a live list of potential successors. A manager can decide they’ve had enough at any time. I’d hope that the people on such a list meet criteria in line with how the owners want to see the team play, what sort of player recruitment strategy they have in mind, what they want the team culture and club reputation to be etc.

I won’t pretend to have much confidence either that such a list or such criteria exist, based on appointments made over the past decade or so.

We’ve got the talent, we just need the backbone.

I think I’ve said this name the last four times the manager job came up: Chris Wilder.

Chris Wilder has proven himself adaptable enough to be successful at every level at which he has managed. He has won promotion from the 7th, 5th, 4th, 3rd and 2nd tiers, and goes into the final game of his first top flight season with a shot at winning European football for the pre-season favourites for relegation. I’d love him here.

I don’t think he’d want it though.

Chris Wilder has proven himself adaptable enough to be successful at every level at which he has managed. He has won promotion from the 7th, 5th, 4th, 3rd and 2nd tiers, and goes into the final game of his first top flight season with a shot at winning European football for the pre-season favourites for relegation. I’d love him here.

I don’t think he’d want it though.
8th, not 7th.

The truth is that we can't do better than BR.

We'll never get a top class manager to join us. Why would they?

We have to embrace our flawed one. He's alright. He makes some mistakes and he makes some decent decisions.

We have to pretend that he's not getting £8m a year for this. We have to pretend that he's not using us to try to get a better job. We have to pretend that he knows what he's doing.

He's a caricature manager. It's better than having Puel or Shakespeare or year two Ranieri or Pearson.

I misread Northern Counties for Northern Premier League, I think.
I assumed you’d just missed the fact that the NPL had two divisions. At the time the Conference was just one division, then NPL Premier and NPL One, and the NCEL below that. Now NCEL is 9 and 10.

The truth is that we can't do better than BR.

We'll never get a top class manager to join us. Why would they?
Everton got Ancelotti. We could do better. I'm not suggesting we should sack Rodgers at all by the way but we really could do better.

I assumed you’d just missed the fact that the NPL had two divisions. At the time the Conference was just one division, then NPL Premier and NPL One, and the NCEL below that. Now NCEL is 9 and 10.

No, I'm boring enough to know the non-league structures - I watch a lot of it!

1 more headed clearance against Watford, and no Bournemouth Schmeichel/Soyuncu special and we’d be guaranteed champions league. Funny, painful game football.

Everton got Ancelotti. We could do better. I'm not suggesting we should sack Rodgers at all by the way but we really could do better.

Everton would never get an Ancelotti when he was any good. He's done as a top level boss and is just after paydays.

Everton would never get an Ancelotti when he was any good. He's done as a top level boss and is just after paydays.
He has done an excellent job at Everton. I hate all this 'he's finished as a top level manager' bollocks. People said that about Ranieri before he came to Leicester. Right club, right manager, right moment, that's all it takes. This absolute codswallop about managers being 'finished' is arbitrary. In his last two jobs at Bayern and Napoli, he had win ratios of 70% and 52%. He is hardly 'finished'. He's done a fab job at Everton working with what he's got. I'd take him in a heartbeat over Rodgers.

People saying we are all wetting the bed and 5th is incredible (it is without context)

I wonder, If a relegation favourite, let's say Newcastle, was 15 points clear of the drop and then suddenly found themselves in the bottom three, would the fans and owners be saying that Bruce stays as he did incredibly well to get them in the European places in December?

Would it be acceptable for them to piss away a 15 point gap in that scenario?

****ing wibble.

I can't recall anyone saying finishing 5th now would be incredible.

It would be out second ever highest finish in about 140yrs though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566