Rodgers future...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fourth in the PL. Top of our Europa League Group. Having to rotate like crazy with crazy injuries and some don’t like it. **** my old boots some of you have tiny memories and a slim grasp of reality
I have supported City for the last 40 years. I remember Tony James scoring on the final day of the season to avoid relegation to the third tier. I remember being relegated to the third tier. I remember top division relegation. I remember years of abject nothingness, languishing in the lower reaches of the second tier under the likes of Kelly and Levein. And with all that firmly in mind, I think the outcomes achieved by this management team are unacceptable.

The fact that we are in the Europa League - ie, finished 5th and not 4th last season, is not an achievement, it's a failure. Yes, I think the majority of fans would have happily accepted 5th place at the start of last season. But expectations change as the situation changes. And in January of this year, or during the first lockdown, I most definitely would not have accepted finishing 5th.

Yes we are 4th in the Premier League (before this weekends results). But with a grand total of zero points from home games to West Ham, Villa, and Fulham, we should be much higher. Of course we don't have a divine right to beat any team. But this group of players have shown they are at best good enough to beat these teams, and at worst good enough to get more than a total of zero points. Yes we beat Man City. And we will likely have more of these results now and then. But far more frequent will be defeats against the likes of the above.

As a club, we currently have the potential to cement a place in the top four. And yes, I won't shy away from it, we have the potential to challenge for the Premier League title this season. The players we have have shown, at times, they are good enough to do this. We also should be one of the favourites to win the Europa League, because again, we should be good enough to. But there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that under a Rodgers regime we will reach the Champions League or win a trophy or trophies. And history is all we have to base the future on. We had a great chance to win two cup competitions last season, and we produced an abject performance against a weakened Chelsea team, and two, not one, abject performances against a Villa side who in the league we beat on aggregate 8-1.

With an ownership that held the manager accountable, and with a manager with the right philosophy, I really do not think it would be very difficult to fulfill the clubs current potential. And no, I don't know who that manager is or should be. But I am 100% certain it is not Brendan Rodgers.

This is just my opinion, but an opinion formed with a firm grasp of reality.

No, your post is ridiculous.

Our budget is the 9th biggest in the PL. That is where we finish all things being equal.

I'm as gutted as anyone at our feeble collapse at the end of last season and our tendency to choke whenever we look like taking the next step. But it's all got to be put into context - it is all at a level that we have no right to expect ourselves to be.

If BR keeps us in the top half of the PL and keeps us as a competitive force in the cup competitions, he is doing a good job. Our net spend on players since the Champions League money was spent is £0. Our players get picked off by bigger clubs every summer. We're spending everything we have and more on building up our training ground and stadium.

Anyone who calls for BR to be removed from his post needs to answer one question - who do you realistically replace him with? I cannot think of anyone that is likely to do better. Until that option exists, there is no decision to be made.

Anyone who calls for BR to be removed from his post needs to answer one question - who do you realistically replace him with? I cannot think of anyone that is likely to do better. Until that option exists, there is no decision to be made.
Bearing in mind also that we’d potentially have to continue paying him until 2025.

But why people would want him gone is lunacy, absolute lunacy.

Like I said, a slim grasp of reality if you think he's not performing very well in the role.

The point I'm making is you have an opinion based on absolutely nothing more than an idea that you have.
mate players that struggle in the English lower leagues go up there and thrive, it is a ridiculously poor standard Celtic and Rangers would be midtable in the championship, at best

I’ve watched a fair old amount of Scottish football this season - admittedly mainly Celtic and Rangers matches

The standard is truly ****ing woeful

Coalville Town would be Scottish Championship on a good day

But why people would want him gone is lunacy, absolute lunacy.

Like I said, a slim grasp of reality if you think he's not performing very well in the role.
It really isn’t.

42 points in the last 32 matches, which is 50 points over a season. That would have got us 12th last season. And that’s with playing turgid football.

But wanting him to go is lunacy apparently. May as well have stuck with Puel for that kind of form and style of football.

42 points in the last 32 matches, which is 50 points over a season. That would have got us 12th last season. And that’s with playing turgid football.

But wanting him to go is lunacy apparently. May as well have stuck with Puel for that kind of form and style of football.
I love it when people do this.
I think you have a point. Our form in 2020 has been shit. But you can’t just pick a random number of games that just about proves your point.
For example - I counter your argument by picking ... ooh.. 10 games? 18 points from 10 games. Which isn’t bad. That would have got third last season. So actually the man’s a genius.

I love it when people do this.
I think you have a point. Our form in 2020 has been shit. But you can’t just pick a random number of games that just about proves your point.
For example - I counter your argument by picking ... ooh.. 10 games? 18 points from 10 games. Which isn’t bad. That would have got third last season. So actually the man’s a genius.
Yes 10 games is close to a full season isn’t it.

We’ve had practically a full season of utter pish. No matter how piss weak an argument you want to make.

Yes 10 games is close to a full season isn’t it.

We’ve had practically a full season of utter pish. No matter how piss weak an argument you want to make
Ok so prove your point that 32 wasn’t picked to back up your point. What’s the total over the last 38?

Ok so prove your point that 32 wasn’t picked to back up your point. What’s the total over the last 38?
Didn't realise we had to work in exact full seasons when looking at long term form. Sorry.

Surely 32 games is a much better judge of performance than 10 games. I mean if we’re being arbitrary to prove a point; let’s look at the last two games (but that would be ridiculous).

For reference, since he joined in Feb-19, we're fourth in the table with 94 points from 56 games (1.68 ppg).

Ultimately, as has been pointed out above, our budget is that of a mid-table club, and we have repeatedly outperformed that position in all of the seasons that Rodgers has been here:
  • Last 10 games of 2018/19 under Rodgers = 6th with 17 points from 10 games (1.7 ppg)
  • Full 2019/20 season under Rodgers = 5th with 62 points from 38 games (1.63 ppg)
  • First 10 games of 2020/21 under Rodgers = 6th with 18 points from 10 games (1.8 ppg)
This is a results business, and at present Rodgers results are continuing to exceed our budget.

I don't really see who people think will come in and out-perform our expectations by a greater level? It feels very much grass-is-greener...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669