Royalty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ike O'Noclassed

Have enjoyed the proclamation of our new King, especially the fabulous Master of Ceremonies, Penny Mordaunt who looked more regal (not to mention prime ministerial) than the assembled Council, though for once Truss looked a bit human as she was clearly preoccupied by the effort of not falling over in her high heels.

Miles Away

Bit weird, Britain, innit?

Sticking my oar in:

I think monarchies are stupid and archaic. Any hereditary titles and positions make me queasy. I think Robert Smith nails it here:

Now that said, part of the reason I find hereditary positions so distasteful is the absence of any merit. The reality is you are completely at the mercy of the genetic lottery as to what sort of leader you end up with. To be fair to the Queen we appear to have been very lucky that she was largely respectful, responsible and not completely stark raving mad like many of her predecessors (and successors).

So for me m the royals can do one…but I do hold some respect for the old bird, she wasn’t an utter lunatic….which is rare for people in her position as we are soon to find out.

tedfoxxx

I can confirm that both the ‘splash splash’ song and the ‘bounce bounce swim swim’ song were observed with kind of quiet solemnity and respect not usually associated with two month old babies.

It really is heartening to see people pull together at times like these.

Miles Away

Bit weird, Britain, innit?

Sticking my oar in:

I think monarchies are stupid and archaic. Any hereditary titles and positions make me queasy. I think Robert Smith nails it here:

Now that said, part of the reason I find hereditary positions so distasteful is the absence of any merit. The reality is you are completely at the mercy of the genetic lottery as to what sort of leader you end up with. To be fair to the Queen we appear to have been very lucky that she was largely respectful, responsible and not completely stark raving mad like many of her predecessors (and successors).

So for me m the royals can do one…but I do hold some respect for the old bird, she wasn’t an utter lunatic….which is rare for people in her position as we are soon to find out.

Exhibit A.

parafox

I can confirm that both the ‘splash splash’ song and the ‘bounce bounce swim swim’ song were observed with kind of quiet solemnity and respect not usually associated with two month old babies.

It really is heartening to see people pull together at times like these.
Whatever you think of splash splash, you can't deny it means a lot to a lot of people

tedfoxxx

Whatever you think of splash splash, you can't deny it means a lot to a lot of people
In a strange way, it’s almost like the babies know.

Robin127

Is it getting to the levels of the utterly ridiculous wailing after the car crash in Paris?

On another note, not one person here has even mentioned it to me yet, sometimes it pays off to live in rural Appalachia.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Is it getting to the levels of the utterly ridiculous wailing after the car crash in Paris?

I've deliberately avoided all live TV and radio since it was announced she was feeling a bit under the weather. And I've not left the house since she died. So I have no idea what's happening outside my little bubble.

On the day of the funeral I plan to be up a mountain with no mobile signal so I can avoid it completely.

tedfoxxx

On another note, not one person here has even mentioned it to me yet, sometimes it pays off to live in rural Appalachia.
I was only about five when Diana was murdered by the Queen but I remember that being way waaaaay more silly and hysterical.

Lots of Queen stuff on TV and in the papers but normal people don’t seem that bothered.

Just seen a nice black and white picture of her as the Home Screen on a self service till in the Co Op which is a nice touch. It’s what she would have wanted.

fitz

Just seen a nice black and white picture of her as the Home Screen on a self service till in the Co Op which is a nice touch. It’s what she would have wanted.

I experienced this earlier on. Felt quite blessed as it was like the queen was selling me a steak pie.

jb5000

I experienced this earlier on. Felt quite blessed as it was like the queen was selling me a steak pie.
We had the same experience at Gregg's just now. I'm sure she'd be delighted to see my kids tucking into slices of pizza from wherever she is now, even if they had run out of pepperoni ones

Brown Nose

I was only about five when Diana was murdered by the Queen but I remember that being way waaaaay more silly and hysterical.

Last night, my 17 year old daughter was momenetarily and unusually watching the news with me and, as Charlie appeared on the screen, asked me "is it true that he killed his wife?".

I explained why some people thought that (the mad loon Al Fayed and the way people cannot seem to accept that things just happen sometimes) and she was seemingly satisfied. However, the world of social media does appear to be indoctrinating young people into believing all sorts of conspiracy shite. It's really quite alarming.

fox58

She liked royal blue

Attachments

• 61840939-F446-440C-AE05-14E002A885BF.jpeg
    61840939-F446-440C-AE05-14E002A885BF.jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696