Scarborough's Rate and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Separation.

I thought this won an oscar but can only see Golden Globe best foreign film on it's long list of attributes.

Worthy of it's praise.

A Separation.

I thought this won an oscar but can only see Golden Globe best foreign film on it's long list of attributes.

Worthy of it's praise.
It won an Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film, it was also nominated for Best Original Screenwriting at the Oscars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Captain America - The First Avenger.

This film was a bit of a disappointment for me. Probably the worst of the Marvel films in my opinion. Takes a little too long to really get going. I think there is a decent story behind the film that just wasn't really fleshed out with enough action...

It's worth a watch but not up to the same standard as Iron Man or Thor, both of which I felt were great films.

6/10 for this.

The Hunger Games - Entertainingly daft, and I might add the second Jessica Lawrence film I have seen where she bbqs squirrels.

Sets up nicely for the next one, I doubt I will be reading the books though.

The Hunger Games - Entertainingly daft, and I might add the second Jessica Lawrence film I have seen where she bbqs squirrels.

Sets up nicely for the next one, I doubt I will be reading the books though.

I've just got a thing for actresses called Jessica.

Biel
Alba
Lange
Rabbit
Simpson

I think she deserves to be called Jessica.

Last edited:
Captain America - The First Avenger.

This film was a bit of a disappointment for me. Probably the worst of the Marvel films in my opinion. Takes a little too long to really get going. I think there is a decent story behind the film that just wasn't really fleshed out with enough action...

It's worth a watch but not up to the same standard as Iron Man or Thor, both of which I felt were great films.

6/10 for this.

Thor was terrible.

Finally saw this over the weekend as only recently released here.

I would say a pretty intense film with exceptional acting. One of the best I've seen in a while but don't expect to be entertained. It really explores the depraved nature of Fassenbender's and Mulligan's characters and also gave away very little, leaving you to wonder why?

I didn't like Drive so much (More style than substance) but I think you are right in saying films like these, although of a very high quality, would be tend to be overlooked by US award panels due to the explicit and controversial content.

I've just watched Shame... I cant decide whether I liked it, or whether I feel just too uncomfortable after watching it. Very well acted.

My Neighbour Totoro - 6/10- Not one of the best Studio Ghibli films, not as good as Howel's Moving Castle or Spirited Away.

Last edited:
I was at a loss last night and watched MI 4 Ghost Protocol (Will there be an MI5?)

Can't remember ever watching the second or third installments, probably because the first ended with a helicopter flying after a Eurostar down the Channel Tunnel. I don't remember much else from that film other than the driver of Eurostar was director of programming at the BBC, Tony Hayers.

MI4 had big stunts, annoyingly nerdy Simon Pegg and aging TC. Not sure why J Renner took a paycheck for this film as his star was on the rise. Maybe he realised after Thor he would get involved in big budget and make a quick $.

Not the worst film in the world a good bit of entertainment. I just think TC driving a car off an Indian 100m drop with only an airbag to protect him, then next scene sat in San Francisco bay having a beer and a laugh with mates talking about their success (Radio in background reporting their success) is quite frankly insulting to even the most dummed down audience.

It was this or Kung Fu Panda, as I said at a loss, any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Anyone seen Avengers or the new Sacha Baron Cohen?

I was at a loss last night and watched MI 4 Ghost Protocol (Will there be an MI5?)

Can't remember ever watching the second or third installments, probably because the first ended with a helicopter flying after a Eurostar down the Channel Tunnel. I don't remember much else from that film other than the driver of Eurostar was director of programming at the BBC, Tony Hayers.

MI4 had big stunts, annoyingly nerdy Simon Pegg and aging TC. Not sure why J Renner took a paycheck for this film as his star was on the rise. Maybe he realised after Thor he would get involved in big budget and make a quick $.

Not the worst film in the world a good bit of entertainment. I just think TC driving a car off an Indian 100m drop with only an airbag to protect him, then next scene sat in San Francisco bay having a beer and a laugh with mates talking about their success (Radio in background reporting their success) is quite frankly insulting to even the most dummed down audience.

It was this or Kung Fu Panda, as I said at a loss, any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Saw Avengers yesterday - a fair few comedy moments in there and if you take it for what it is, you'll be entertained for a couple of hours.

Saw Avengers yesterday - a fair few comedy moments in there and if you take it for what it is, you'll be entertained for a couple of hours.

I've heard it's good from a few mates. Will probably make an effort to see it on the big screen.

I've heard it's good from a few mates. Will probably make an effort to see it on the big screen.

Its definitely been left open for a sequel too... which I am pleased about. Captain America and Thor in the same film? Yes please... :060:

Who the **** is TC and why the **** do people just unhelpfully decide to abbreviate people's names without so much as a TK on your BB or up your PLG with a DF?

Who the **** is TC and why the **** do people just unhelpfully decide to abbreviate people's names without so much as a TK on your BB or up your PLG with a DF?

Thank you for the constuctive feedback, I'm shocked anyone really reads these reviews but this has been a real confidence boost. I just use this space to practice my creative writing as I got kicked off the course I was doing, and as you can see I need the practice.

What's your favourite film Macky?

I've just watched Shame... I cant decide whether I liked it, or whether I feel just too uncomfortable after watching it. Very well acted.

Just watched Fish Tank seen it? Pretty gritty English film. Fassenbender plays a likeable character and he walks around in his undies.

Got round to watching Nick Love's "The Firm".

Empire gave it four stars describing it as "Intense, Exciting and Impressive" I didn't think it was any of those, although I was impressed that Danny Dyer wasn't in it. Not a bad film, captures the times quite well (Not that I was ever part of those times, safely in the Filbert Street Main Stand downing Chewits) I'd say a better depiction of the genre than "Away Days", "I D" or the more modern "Green Street"

I think the film's plot was purposefully pointless. Beyond the Fila and Ellese Liquorice Allsort coloured tracksuits, it in some ways less glamourised the issue than the Alan Clarke (father of ITV's Gabriel Clarke) version.

Might have to watch the earlier version again if I can find it, Gary Oldman's performance is notably standout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669