Scarborough's Rate and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got round to watching Nick Love's "The Firm".

Empire gave it four stars describing it as "Intense, Exciting and Impressive" I didn't think it was any of those, although I was impressed that Danny Dyer wasn't in it. Not a bad film, captures the times quite well (Not that I was ever part of those times, safely in the Filbert Street Main Stand downing Chewits) I'd say a better depiction of the genre than "Away Days", "I D" or the more modern "Green Street"

I think the film's plot was purposefully pointless. Beyond the Fila and Ellese Liquorice Allsort coloured tracksuits, it in some ways less glamourised the issue than the Alan Clarke (father of ITV's Gabriel Clarke) version.

Might have to watch the earlier version again if I can find it, Gary Oldman's performance is notably standout.

Is it a remake of the original, or is it just a namesake?

Btw, Green Street is the most absurd ****ing nonsense that I've ever had the misfortune of watching. It is so far removed from any semblance of reality as to be excruciatingly embarrassing. I imagine that it's how middle class people perceive football to be through the lens of the mass media

Is it a remake of the original, or is it just a namesake?

A loose remake, central character is Bex an estate agent and head of Hammers firm in both. Other than that quite different films from what I can remember.

Btw, Green Street is the most absurd ****ing nonsense that I've ever had the misfortune of watching. It is so far removed from any semblance of reality as to be excruciatingly embarrassing. I imagine that it's how middle class people perceive football to be through the lens of the mass media

I wholeheartedly agree with you. A hobbit and a Geordie sparrow barrow boy taking on the world. Disgracefully bad.

I see that there will be a Top Gun 2. One of my favourite films from the 80s, not sure a sequel will work.

My mother loves that film and she's never been to a football match in her life(she's not middle class either). The shittest film ever made about football fans.

Red State - Off beat horror. Far right homosexual hating obsessed cult up to no good. A Kevin (Silent Bob) Smith film, say no more. 5/10
Mr Nice - Who hasn't read the book or at least pretended to have read it? Rhys Ifans a safe pair of hands in a role almost designed for him. David Thewlis is great as James McCann 7/10
Biutiful - Spanish film prods away at the Barcelona underbelly. Javier Bardam excels. A raw emotional film. 8.5/10

Avengers - 8/10 - Very funny and action packed but not quite as good as iron man

Really? We loved it, thought it was at least on a par with Iron Man.

We've never seen Hulk or Thor either, didn't affect our enjotment at all.

My Neighbour Totoro - 6/10- Not one of the best Studio Ghibli films, not as good as Howel's Moving Castle or Spirited Away.

My missus made me sit through The Secret World of Arrietty, not my choice but I must conceed slightly more enjoyable than the half hour of the John Goodman version I watched one Christmas day. I also did enjoy reading the novel it's based on at primary school.

Although not a Miyozaki directed film (He wrote the screenplay) the visuals are wonderfully imaginative as you'd expect.

Snow White & the Huntsman - 6/10. I just cant stand that Twilight girl; I really dont think she can act and some of the accents are really dodgy.

Snow White & the Huntsman - 6/10. I just cant stand that Twilight girl; I really dont think she can act and some of the accents are really dodgy.

She's more wooden than Pinnochio's nose. MIB3 is pretty good, 7/10. Better than the 2nd but not as good as the first.

Prometheus.

I read good and bad reviews. Not as bad as I expected it to be. Bar the exceptional first two films, the Alien franchise for me went a bit shit. Alien and Prometheus share the same director and the latter goes some way to explain a few of the mysteries of the former. I personally feel this film didn't really need to be made though. Worth a watch all the same.

Great visuals, if you choose to watch Prometheus just compare the now outdated technology in the original Alien film.

[video=vimeo;13974940]http://vimeo.com/13974940[/video]

Real Steel - Wasn't expecting much from it but really enjoyed it. It's a film about boxing robots set in the near future so think Rocky mixed with Transformers and this is pretty much exactly what this film delivers. Stars Hugh Jackman. 8/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566