Sol Bamba

Status
Not open for further replies.

atlantafox

After an exceptional tournament in which he played every minute he is coming back to probably sit on the bench as there is no reason to disturb the Mills/SSL partnership that has been so strong since Bamba left for the tournament. With Wes Morgan now on the bench we are well covered at the back for the time being and now is the time for NP to try Bamba in midfield in a Patrick Vieira/Yaya Toure role. Am I the only one that thinks this position is perfectly suited for Sol ?

Am I the only one that thinks this position is perfectly suited for Sol ?

Clearly not, as it's already been mooted on here by more than several people. The arrival of Wes Morgan might suggest that it is something that is on NP's mind too.

I don't really have an opinion on the matter but it could be thought that his 'unpredictability' might be more of a difficulty for his opponents in that position and less of a problem for his colleagues.

*stands back to allow things to warm up*

I don't understand the calls for Bamba to play in midfield. I bet very few city fans have actually seen him play that position. He's played extremely well (in patches) at centre back for us, sometimes unbelievably so. He's just completed the AFCON as a right back, supposedly with good reports.

The one thing that most people seem to agree with is that he's very unpredictable and therefore difficult to play alongside (although sometimes he's been so good that he hasn't needed a partner). Awareness, positioning, communication are arguably even more important in midfield than they are in defence.

His involvement in attacking moves has mostly been down to long solo runs which again look very unpredictable and are more through perserverance than skill or dribbling ability. His first touch is also way below what is expected of a midfielder.

Just because he's done so well for us in the past, it doesn't mean we should be creating a role for him elsewhere in the side now that he has lost his place. If he's better than our other defenders then that's where he will play. He is not going to be anywhere near the standard of our midfield players.

Let him share duties on penalties and free-kicks, and then let him sit and have a pint with Gallagher for the rest of the match.

I think he's more likely to play at right back than in midfield.

It sounds like the central midfielders, with a combination of Danns, Drinkwater and Wellens, have been doing well over the last few weeks, so I doubt Pearson will want to move Bamba in there any more than he'd want to unsettle the centre of defence.

I still think Peltier is the weak link in our defence, so wouldn't mind seeing Bamba play there (or Pearson getting Pantsil back on form).

He's just going to have to be a bit patient. Quaity usually finds its way back into a side.

We're quite spoiled at centre half.

I still think Peltier is the weak link in our defence, so wouldn't mind seeing Bamba play there (or Pearson getting Pantsil back on form).

I think at Championship level he would be very effective at right back.

I don't think Peltier has been as bad as people say (I tend to be disagreeing with "people" a lot). He's being asked to play two positions with Gallagher being given the freedom to "roam".

Just because he previously successfully played as a midfielder doesn't mean that he should ever be allowed to ever again. He is a footballer for Christ's sake, how could he possibly be capable of comprehending playing in two positions? Everybody knows that if you're a defender, you are physically and mentally incapable of playing any other position on the field, ever.

Just because he previously successfully played as a midfielder doesn't mean that he should ever be allowed to ever again. He is a footballer for Christ's sake, how could he possibly be capable of comprehending playing in two positions? Everybody knows that if you're a defender, you are physically and mentally incapable of playing any other position on the field, ever.
Like asking your plumber if he can do your brain surgery IMO.

Like asking your plumber if he can do your brain surgery IMO.

You mean I shouldn't have done that? Seemed OK, though I keep suddenly thinking in Polish

I have played successfully as a midfieder before. Does that make me able too? Alliance League Division 5 is comparable to the SPL after all.

I have played successfully as a midfieder before. Does that make me able too? Alliance League Division 5 is comparable to the SPL after all.

Have a check for your individual stats on Football Manager, that'll tell you what your official playing position is.
You could try playing in a different position, I suppose, but as I'm sure you're aware, it is just not possible. It's just absurd.

Have a check for your individual stats on Football Manager, that'll tell you what your official playing position is.
You could try playing in a different position, I suppose, but as I'm sure you're aware, it is just not possible. It's just absurd.
I tell you what - I'll set Sol's "retrain postion" to DMC to see how long it'll take for him to adapt and let you know. Then we'll all know for sure.

I tell you what - I'll set Sol's "retrain postion" to DMC to see how long it'll take for him to adapt and let you know. Then we'll all know for sure.

Try him on the 'Snooker Player' setting as well. I'm convinced the skills would be directly transferable, but obviously without the snooker stick thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669