Souness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not been in the game for three years. Never particularly successful with any club. Can't say that I am particularly exhilarated by this rumour. I suspect he will consider himself too good.

Not been in the game for three years. Never particularly successful with any club. Can't say that I am particularly exhilarated by this rumour. I suspect he will consider himself too good.
Was succesful at Rangers and yes I know its only SPL.The other thing is he might be able to attract some decent players

Last edited:
Im confused why we ever appointed Megson if these names are genuinely a possibility for us :confused:

Try assuming that Megson was the best that Mandaric could get!

My fear and expectation is that 'big' names are thrown into the ring to make us feel that Milan is able to bring in such people - then when this proves not to be the case, we finish with dross.

I base this on both previous rounds regading both the manager vacancy and player recruitment.

Do hope I'm wrong!

Try assuming that Megson was the best that Mandaric could get!

My fear and expectation is that 'big' names are thrown into the ring to make us feel that Milan is able to bring in such people - then when this proves not to be the case, we finish with dross.

I base this on both previous rounds regading both the manager vacancy and player recruitment.

Do hope I'm wrong!

Which would explain the Jewell report in todays Scottish Mirror

As regards the notion that Souness has 'never been particularly successful', in addition to being one of Rangers' best ever managers, didn't he win the Turkish league and promotion with Blackburn 6 years ago, subsequently establishing them as a Premiership mid-table side? As for Liverpool and Newcastle, it's fair to say that both were poisoned chalices in the eras that he took charge. And let's not forget that he suffered a heart attack while he was at Liverpool, which probably knocked him out of his stride a little.

While I'd prefer the idea of Ling or Grayson, GS might be the perfect tutor for a man like Gerry Taggart to come up through the ranks.

That said, if we're going for experience and willing to delve deep into the distance achievements of veteran managers we'll find plenty of accolades to Peter Reid's name as well - popular Man City manager who was unfairly sacked, success in this league and the Premier with Sunderland, a couple of 'poisoned chalices' at Leeds and Cov. What, specifically, makes someone like Souness a much better candidate than someone like Reid?

he is NO ****ING MANAGER...

And how the **** do you know that?

Your no expert on who is and who isn't built for management so maybe you should reserve judgement for someone who is.

Last edited:
Don`t quite agree with Syd on the "poisoned chalice" situation at Liverpool...they had BIG successes under Shanks, Paisley, Dalglish & then came Souness........! I reckon the only reason he lasted as long as he did was that he had been popular at Anfield as a player & the heart problem created sympathy from the fans.

And how the **** do you know that?

Your no expert on who is and who isn't built for management so maybe you should reserve judgement for someone who is.

I thought this was a forum for discussion?

I didn't see any pre-requisite to be an expert on any subject before you could post.. LondonFox has every right to express his opinion even if other people then think he's a bit silly. Maybe you can get him to vaildate his position and then educate him.

Besides if there was an expert available i think he would be earning money talking to the media rather than posting on an internet fan site.

Could i just point out that to suggest that Walsh or Taggart are not managers has got nothing to do with it, everyone has to start somewhere. Grayson hasnt been in management long but people seem ok with him. I can understand some people would prefer experience and thats fine, but you cant say "he's no manager" because until these people are given a chance nobody knows!

I feel Souness could do a good job for us,he had very bad luck at Liverpool with injuries he was also the one who brought the young and relatively unknown Stevie Gerrard,Jamie Redknap and Robbie Fowler into the first team.
His one big mistake was off the pitch.he sold his heart Bypass story to "The Sun" newspaper something to this day lots of Liverpool people still never forgive.

Souness would be the best manager we have had here since MON (and probably be the one with the best reputation since I can remember).

Souness, Jewell or Dowie would be a huge step forward IMO.

Souness would be the best manager we have had here since MON (and probably be the one with the best reputation since I can remember).

Souness, Jewell or Dowie would be a huge step forward IMO.

Most definitely. I just doubt any one of them would come after the farce over the last sixth months, the position we're in and the expectations of both the fans and the chairman.

Could i just point out that to suggest that Walsh or Taggart are not managers has got nothing to do with it, everyone has to start somewhere. Grayson hasnt been in management long but people seem ok with him. I can understand some people would prefer experience and thats fine, but you cant say "he's no manager" because until these people are given a chance nobody knows!

Too right, i just don't understand how you can say that they couldn't be a manager.

Were the people being mentioned (souness, jewell, dowie) born wearing a little suit and a knowledge of football tactics?

As per the terms of his severence package from Newcastle, Souness has to demonstrate he is actively seeking work, don't be surprised if Souness uses the media to link him with vacancies like ours merely to comply with the terms of his exit from St James Park. This was reported on Talksport this morning in reference to his interview with Bolton.

One thing we have stuggled with recently is the quality of player we are bringing in to the club. The likes of Souness, Jewell, Ince have the profile amongst players to make the club more attractive.

he could sign some rising african starlets with famous relations though

:biggrin: Ali Dia. My mate's a Saints fan. Always a good comeback when he backs me into a corner on another shit performance by our lot. A good example too mate, as he got pissed off with Lowe and walked after a season.

Or maybe not that relevant, as everyone gets pissed off with Rupert "I go pheasant shooting with Clive Woodwood of a Sunday" Lowe at some point.

Even MM isn't as bad as Rupert Lowe.

Most definitely. I just doubt any one of them would come after the farce over the last sixth months, the position we're in and the expectations of both the fans and the chairman.

do you mean six months?

and whats wrong with having high expectations? or are you another loser?

He'll never come because he's still being paid from newcastle, because when he got sacked he still had years left on his contract so i dont think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669