Southgate resigns

Can’t believe nobody responded to this.

Won’t be beyond the realms of possibility. He’d be more exciting than Potter. Plus he knows the set up and a lot of the players.

Foden, Palmer, Kane, Bellingham, Sako - 150+ goals there. It’s like a bit of a FIFA dream teams of this season. How does a manager not manage to get tonnes of goals out these lot?
By playing all of them, so the team never has the possession to supply them. Didn't we learn this when it was Gerrard and Lampard, when it should have been Gerrard or Lampard?

By playing all of them, so the team never has the possession to supply them. Didn't we learn this when it was Gerrard and Lampard, when it should have been Gerrard or Lampard?

Always felt with the above mentioned and many others over the years that there is a chronic problem in the Premier League era that these players are used to playing alongside better (often much better) players at club level - and the talents they displayed there do not translate to their performance in the international team - Bellingham, Sako and Foden having to rely on Rice, Trippier and Maguire (when fit) etc? Not a great prospect.

Have England players ever played their best football in International competition? Far too rarely to justify the levels of entitlement that the "Football's Coming Home" emotion generates with little in the way of actual ability/track record to justify it.

Always felt with the above mentioned and many others over the years that there is a chronic problem in the Premier League era that these players are used to playing alongside better (often much better) players at club level - and the talents they displayed there do not translate to their performance in the international team - Bellingham, Sako and Foden having to rely on Rice, Trippier and Maguire (when fit) etc? Not a great prospect.

Have England players ever played their best football in International competition? Far too rarely to justify the levels of entitlement that the "Football's Coming Home" emotion generates with little in the way of actual ability/track record to justify it.
Completely agree, and that's why I think Southgate did a good job!

Cooper 66/1

Did anyone else draw parallels between Southgate's success and style of play and Enzo's? I seem to remember some people moaning about Enzo' sideways and back passing, saying it was boring, the lack of substitutes and refusal to cahnge styles as and when needed etc. While others pointed to the success it brought. For some games, you could literally cut and paste match reviews, leave out the names, and it would be difficult to know which manager you were talking about?

It's strange how some defend Enzo to the hilt and at the same time are glad to see the back of Southgate.

Did anyone else draw parallels between Southgate's success and style of play and Enzo's? I seem to remember some people moaning about Enzo' sideways and back passing, saying it was boring, the lack of substitutes and refusal to cahnge styles as and when needed etc. While others pointed to the success it brought. For some games, you could literally cut and paste match reviews, leave out the names, and it would be difficult to know which manager you were talking about?

It's strange how some defend Enzo to the hilt and at the same time are glad to see the back of Southgate.
Well, one distinct difference between the two is that Enzo won something. We were never going to win anything (bar an extremely fortuitous final against a crap side) under GS due to his negativity.

You know than Enzo won something, right? You also know that league football is really different to knock out football of course. I'm guessing you are also aware of the plethora of attacking talent in the England squad compared to, say, Daka and Iheanacho....

It's kind of, not really the same. In any way. At all.

You know than Enzo won something, right? You also know that league football is really different to knock out football of course. I'm guessing you are also aware of the plethora of attacking talent in the England squad compared to, say, Daka and Iheanacho....

It's kind of, not really the same. In any way. At all.
Didn't you say that Southgate only did well because he was only playing against minnows and had it easy? Where would you rate qualifying for the Euros, Winning the Group and reaching the finals vs winning the Championship....with the most expensive squad, in the Championship?

Hey, I agree with you. "If we had a different, braver manager with a more attacking mindset and we are the proud owners of a record breaking achievement" ....but which manager?

The thing is Pop, I respect your (and others) opinion on the Enzo way. I actually don't mind watching possession football and it got the job done. I do feel we could have done it better though, and at times was really frustrated, and Im not on my own in that opinion .....am I talking about Leicester or England?

If the England squad had got together like JV and co and said **** this ( supposedly)
England might have won something

Didn't you say that Southgate only did well because he was only playing against minnows and had it easy? Where would you rate qualifying for the Euros, Winning the Group and reaching the finals vs winning the Championship....with the most expensive squad, in the Championship?
I said that was one of the reasons. I think the situation inherited by Enzo, how he had to address this and what he what he achieved in fewer than 12 months was remarkable. Once again, it's a totally different situation to say, a manager with that much talent at his disposal failing year on year on year to get the best out of them and playing in a way directly opposite to their strengths.

So, in answer to your question, I rate being able to take a completely broken squad, half of whom were desperate to leave, rejuvenating them, changing their mindset and playing styles completely and winning a league in his first attempt in less than a year, a little higher than, say, beating a few countries who have a population of 17 farmers and 3 dogs, being relegated below Scotland in the Nations' league and losing to any half decent team you play whilst having all your creative players pissing about on Wordle whilst sitting on their arses keeping a bench warm.

The two are not even worthy of comparison. Put it this way, I'd wager my house on the fact that Enzo would have done a better job with England than Southgate would with Leicester given the same circumstances. I'm pretty sure Southgate didn't appear on Chelsea's shortlist.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  39
2Liverpool39
3Brighton37
4Arsenal37
5Newcastle37
6Brentford36
7Aston Villa36
8Bournemouth35
9Nottm F35
10Tottenham 34
11Chelsea34