Speculation Steve Howard leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Waghorn is unlikely to get a sniff but could be worth a punt for a Championship club elsewhere.
    [

Waghorn will be used regularly next season if fit, I'm afraid. A Hull fan I know said Pearson was obsessed with him at Hull until he got crocked and he's been put in ahead of Vassell in the last two games despite the latter's contract being up and therefore the game time would have been invaluable to assess whether he can do a job for us.

Howard was a very good player for us in League One, but alwas looked a bit of his depth for us in the Championship. Getting Pantsil off the wage bill will no doubt be good news, as I highly doubt he's on a small wage here. Right back should be our #1 priority in the summer though.

Waghorn will be used regularly next season if fit, I'm afraid. A Hull fan I know said Pearson was obsessed with him at Hull until he got crocked and he's been put in ahead of Vassell in the last two games despite the latter's contract being up and therefore the game time would have been invaluable to assess whether he can do a job for us.

Do you not think Pearson has assessed Vassell during the many times he has seen him train? Maybe this is the reason Waghorn is preferred?

Or maybe Waghorn is/was fitter.

My best memory of Howard will be from the away leg in Cardiff. He was brilliant that day but it only highlighted how well we might have performed in the first leg if it wasn't for one of his pointless red cards against Watford.

I think Vassell is almost certain to be released. Pearson needs to free up wages and space in the squad so the fact that Vassell is out of contract makes an easy decision.

I think Vassell is almost certain to be released. Pearson needs to free up wages and space in the squad so the fact that Vassell is out of contract makes an easy decision.

Yup.

Free up wages to sign a worse option up front? I'll not be surprised if he goes but think it's a stupid idea to sign a new player like Vardy as a gamble when Vas won't cost a fortune to retain and is still a very good player.

Free up wages to sign a worse option up front? I'll not be surprised if he goes but think it's a stupid idea to sign a new player like Vardy as a gamble when Vas won't cost a fortune to retain and is still a very good player.

He has scored six goals in over forty games for the club. He has never scored more than fourteen in a season for any club he has played for. In his twelve seasons playing regular first team football he has scored ten or more goals in just four of them. This is a striker, remember.

I'm not sure by what measure he can be considered a 'very good player'. Is it because he can run fast?

Last edited:
I don't think he was used as a striker beyond a handful of times at City.

I'm of the opinion Vassell is of value.

Do you not think Pearson has assessed Vassell during the many times he has seen him train? Maybe this is the reason Waghorn is preferred?

you can't accurately assess a player's ability in just training alone. If that were the case we would not have pre season friendlies

Completely agree. Vassell has been a decent asset for us and I really do think we have missed him a lot this season.

He has scored six goals in over forty games for the club. He has never scored more than fourteen in a season for any club he has played for. In his twelve seasons playing regular first team football he has scored ten or more goals in just four of them. This is a striker, remember.

I'm not sure by what measure he can be considered a 'very good player'. Is it because he can run fast?

He's not a striker anymore, he's a winger. He hasn't played as a striker for 5 or 6 seasons

He's not a striker anymore, he's a winger. He hasn't played as a striker for 5 or 6 seasons

Played well as a striker yesterday, good touch, position and passing. Not a headless chicken, but I don't think he'll stay as city will look to pay a million for a non-league striker.

Played well as a striker yesterday, good touch, position and passing. Not a headless chicken, but I don't think he'll stay as city will look to pay a million for a non-league striker.

I fully expect him to go. However, I think it will potentially be a huge mistake if he does leave. There will be a lot of Championship teams after him, and I can see him signing for Blackpool as well.

A million for a non-league striker might be better value than keeping Vassell. A younger player should be on lower wages and is likely to have a resale value.

you can't accurately assess a player's ability in just training alone. If that were the case we would not have pre season friendlies

You can assess it enough, pre-season matches are for fitness and team building purposes. If a manager doesn't know whether a player is worth keeping based on the training ground, then he isn't worth keeping.

A million for a non-league striker might be better value than keeping Vassell. A younger player should be on lower wages and is likely to have a resale value.

If there aren't many takers for Vassell why offer big wages?

You can assess it enough, pre-season matches are for fitness and team building purposes. If a manager doesn't know whether a player is worth keeping based on the training ground, then he isn't worth keeping.

Ridiculous comment. You can't judge a player's overall worth in a squad if you do not play him. Simple. If we had something to paly for I could perhaps understand but the season was over, so Pearson should have been using that opportunity to gain a better picture of players who he could retain and had not featured up until that point. Pearson knows full well what Waghorn is about and what he can do. Vassell was more of an unknown to him and therefore I think should have been given more game time.

Ridiculous comment. You can't judge a player's overall worth in a squad if you do not play him. Simple. If we had something to paly for I could perhaps understand but the season was over, so Pearson should have been using that opportunity to gain a better picture of players who he could retain and had not featured up until that point. Pearson knows full well what Waghorn is about and what he can do. Vassell was more of an unknown to him and therefore I think should have been given more game time.

You're quite an angry person sometimes arent you? :icon_lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670