Speculation Steve Howard leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the antagonism towards Waghorn by some fans. He did well under Pearson for us and when he went to Hull. He got into the U21's and scored 2 cracking goals. He's worked his way back from injury and scored on his return for a manager who believes in him. Not sure what some people want, we rightly criticise players who don't put in a shift and appear happy just to turn up and take the money, and then when we get a young player who works hard and runs and chases for the cause he is criticised for being a headless chicken or an enthusiastic puppy with little talent. We should be encouraging young players to improve and building their confidence, not being so hasty to get on their backs.

When did he recover from his injury?

Even a month ago he wasn't in full training.

If we'd offered to end his contract a month ago, there was only four weeks of "work" left, with the final two months of his contract being holiday. If he doesn't stay here he's got plenty of time to find another club, I don't think leaving a couple of weeks before the end of the season would have helped him.

That's a good question? But he was playing again at the end of March. I think any player wants to know where they stand. If they are not going to feature, they can then plan their next move.

I'm pretty certain he'd be happy to sign a new contract for us and he isn't the type of player who will just sit there and accept his wages. He always puts in a 100% every time I've seen him play. I think he would have been gutted not to show his worth having made the match day squad against West Ham.

Has anyone who went to the match on Saturday commented on his pace and fitness? has he lost a yard? I know people have said he looked tidy etc but would be good to know if he's still got the zip he had, as that would be key to a new deal I think.

I don't understand the antagonism towards Waghorn by some fans. He did well under Pearson for us and when he went to Hull. He got into the U21's and scored 2 cracking goals. He's worked his way back from injury and scored on his return for a manager who believes in him. Not sure what some people want, we rightly criticise players who don't put in a shift and appear happy just to turn up and take the money, and then when we get a young player who works hard and runs and chases for the cause he is criticised for being a headless chicken or an enthusiastic puppy with little talent. We should be encouraging young players to improve and building their confidence, not being so hasty to get on their backs.

Did he do well at Hull? His record doesn't seem to suggest so and neither do the comments from the Hull fans I know. Granted he hardly had a chance to shine because of injury but 1 goal in 5 games is not doing well. That said, I'm not trying to get on Waghorn's back in this debate, I'm outlining the argument that there was more value in playing a player who's employment contract needs to be resolved at the end of the season.

Did he do well at Hull? His record doesn't seem to suggest so and neither do the comments from the Hull fans I know. Granted he hardly had a chance to shine because of injury but 1 goal in 5 games is not doing well. That said, I'm not trying to get on Waghorn's back in this debate, I'm outlining the argument that there was more value in playing a player who's employment contract needs to be resolved at the end of the season.

Fair comment, i didn't include any opinion on Vassell , who i think when i have seen him still has the pace and class to have an impact for us next season. can't comment on his current fitness which i guess is exactly the point you are making. I would be very happy with him, Waghorn, Beckford and Nugent on the books for next season. Not sure where this would leave Schlupp and Hopper! Pearson has some difficult decisions this summer bit it's a headache we could only have dreamed of 2 or 3 seasons ago i guess.

Why would he accept that?

He couldn't go to another club until the summer anyway, and by staying he would get the training and physio facilities he needs to get fit.

Fair challenge.

Although after it was announced that the season was over for him in 2011, I'd expect Pearson knew whether or not he was likely to feature next year. From that, he might have accepted something earlier in 2012.

It doesn't really matter now though; it's all (probably) insignificant compared to Panstil, etc.

Has anyone who went to the match on Saturday commented on his pace and fitness? has he lost a yard? I know people have said he looked tidy etc but would be good to know if he's still got the zip he had, as that would be key to a new deal I think.
To my eyes Vassell looked pretty quick if that's of any use.

Fair comment, i didn't include any opinion on Vassell , who i think when i have seen him still has the pace and class to have an impact for us next season. can't comment on his current fitness which i guess is exactly the point you are making. I would be very happy with him, Waghorn, Beckford and Nugent on the books for next season. Not sure where this would leave Schlupp and Hopper! Pearson has some difficult decisions this summer bit it's a headache we could only have dreamed of 2 or 3 seasons ago i guess.

Having sheer numbers of strikers does not gurantee that we will be good enough in that department next year. If you have several strikers on the books but some of them are crap, then there's no selection headache at all. We don't really know what Waghorn of Vassell will be like next season (if Vassell stays).

Waghorn is definitely going to be here next year so it was right he got the game time, to boost his confidence.

Since Vassel was in the squad at all it suggests Pearson is at least considering it, so i wouldn't be surprised if he's given the chance to prove himself in pre-season.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Vassell leave if the rumours are true and we're bringing in Jamie Vardy. If we sign him, or another striker, that'll give us four main strikers alongside Nugent, Beckford and Waghorn, as well as emerging young players in reserve such as Schlupp, Hopper and Panayiotou. I think our strikeforce next season will be more than good enough - if Beckford and Nugent stay fit they should both hit around 10 to 15 goals. I'd expect Waghorn to chip in with a few, along with the other strikers on our books.

I think our more immediate concern is the midfield and defence. Let's have Craig Dawson for CB please Mr Pearson.

As I mentioned a few posts back, I think Vardy is more of a winger or forward in a three, than an out and out striker. He's certainly scored a shit loads of goals though, albeit at a much lower level. If this were to happen, I think it could be a pretty decent signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669