Stockport (away)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's at Right Wing, where I would always put him.

I think you are possibly confusing where I have put him, with the apparent vacant Right Back position. When I say apparent, I mean the bit where I have put Gilbert.
So 3 at the back with no cover from the wings? If Gilbert goes to mark wingers, the defence is weak inside. If Gilbert holds a more central position, the opposition have free reign over the flanks. Either way the team is exposed. Fancy a game of Football Manager sometime? :icon_wink

Fancy a game of Football Manager sometime? :icon_wink
Yes, because you sound like you've been brainwashed, and no because I don't have time.

We are playing Stockport, we can put out an attacking team. We are now playing some of the easiest games this club will ever have to play.

IF, Stockport come at us, King and Weso can both drop back between the full backs and centre backs, and slightly in fronmt of them.

When Gilbert goes to mark the wingers, Weso will drop back, and the same for the other side.

So, what I suggest, instead of criticising others, show us your own ideas.

What about?

--------------------------Henderson--------------------------

------Morrison--------------Tunchev-----------Hobbs-------

----------Gilbert------------Oakley--------King---------------
Gradel--------------------------------------------------Dyer

---------------------Howard-------Fryatt-------------------

Let's go for it!

Last edited:
Works for me, Boc. Very similar to what I was trying to get across, but with slightly different personal.

I guess if they don't have that position on the xBox, then it don't exist in real life.

Don't get why King plays in front of Adams myself,in any formation

What about?

--------------------------Henderson--------------------------

------Morrison--------------Tunchev-----------Hobbs-------

----------Gilbert------------Oakley--------King---------------
Gradel--------------------------------------------------Dyer

---------------------Howard-------Fryatt-------------------

Let's go for it!

Looks good to me. I had been thinking about 5 at the back but couldn't think how. This seems very workable. Will it happen?..........

Yes, because you sound like you've been brainwashed, and no because I don't have time.

We are playing Stockport, we can put out an attacking team. We are now playing some of the easiest games this club will ever have to play.

IF, Stockport come at us, King and Weso can both drop back between the full backs and centre backs, and slightly in fronmt of them.

When Gilbert goes to mark the wingers, Weso will drop back, and the same for the other side.
The teams we're playing may be weak, but Leicester are also weaker than they have ever been before. We're not going to walk this league.

As for these 'tactics'. Chelsea may be able to get away with systems like this, but the above strategy is a disaster waiting to happen for the players we have at the moment. It's far too complex, players will make mistakes, holes will appear all over the place in the confusion. We have to keep it simple.

Not to mention the naiveté of "IF, Stockport come at us". If? Stockport only failed to score in 4 games last season. To beat them, you had to score at least twice. It's not a question of if, all Stockport know is attack, especially at home.

So, what I suggest, instead of criticising others, show us your own ideas.
I'm not too fussed at this stage of the season, there is clearly some experimentation to be done with personnel, but one thing must remain constant; 4-4-2.

Last edited:

When I say David Martin deserves a chance it is based on the theory that he and Liverpool were promised first team football. If he does not get first team football then Liverpool made a mistake loaning him to us. Either way Nigel Pearson and Mike Stowell working with them on a daily basis will no doubt soon find out who is better. I did see David Martin playing for England Under 20s a couple of years ago and thought he looked a brilliant prospect.

The teams we're playing may be weak, but Leicester are also weaker than they have ever been before. We're not going to walk this league.

As for these 'tactics'. Chelsea may be able to get away with systems like this, but the above strategy is a disaster waiting to happen for the players we have at the moment. It's far too complex, players will make mistakes, holes will appear all over the place in the confusion. We have to keep it simple.

Not to mention the naiveté of "IF, Stockport come at us". If? Stockport only failed to score in 4 games last season. To beat them, you had to score at least twice. It's not a question of if, all Stockport know is attack, especially at home.

I'm not too fussed at this stage of the season, there is clearly some experimentation to be done with personnel, but one thing must remain constant; 4-4-2.

100% agree, there is no need for a formation change, and why would we play a more attacking formation away from home than in our own back yard?

This season is not the time for lovely little experiments.

Maybe the reason we lost to teams like Blackpool last season is because of this crazy attitude that we are abover everyone.

4-3-3

Zagorakis (rush goalie)

Odhiambo --- Hayles (recalled from loan) --- Sappleton (recalled from loan) --- Kee

Dickov --- Chambers (recalled from hospital) --- McKay

Fryatt --- Howard --- Campbell

ATTACK!!! :icon_bigg

100% agree, there is no need for a formation change, and why would we play a more attacking formation away from home than in our own back yard?

This season is not the time for lovely little experiments.

Maybe the reason we lost to teams like Blackpool last season is because of this crazy attitude that we are abover everyone.
It's called "adaptation", not "experimentation"

In an ideal situation I would play 4-4-2, but we're not in an ideal situation. As many have pointed out, we have no cover for Mattock.

I would rather change the formation to protect the Left Back position than to stick somebody there without cover.

Blogger - If the players don't understand the tactics that Pearson is setting them, as you infer, then IMO they are in the wrong business.

We need to go into games with confidence, we need to believe that we can win every game and not hiding behind a defensive formation. NP clearly wasn't happy with the performance against MK Dons, but I'm pleased for you two that you were.

Last edited:
One could argue that in an ideal world we'd play the sort of football that Manure do, which tends to be 4-3-3 these days. Like I outlined above. Although perhaps with different personnel.

It's called "adaptation", not "experimentation"

In an ideal situation I would play 4-4-2, but we're not in an ideal situation. As many have pointed out, we have no cover for Mattock.

I would rather change the formation to protect the Left Back position than to stick somebody there without cover.
In my opinion, that formation causes more problems than it solves. Of course you're in a rather good debating position here, as Pearson is never going to play the system you suggest. The next game City lose playing 4-4-2 you can bring up your formation again, safe in the knowledge that it won't be used ad so your theory never tested.

Blogger - If the players don't understand the tactics that Pearson is setting them, as you infer, then IMO they are in the wrong business.

We need to go into games with confidence, we need to believe that we can win every game and not hiding behind a defensive formation. NP clearly wasn't happy with the performance against MK Dons, but I'm pleased for you two that you were.
It's not so much as not understanding the system, its not being able to play it, two very different things. Can you name another team at this level who plays a system like this? You'll find the reason they don't is because this league lacks the quality players to implement it successfully.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth, another shoddy debate tactic. I'm pleased with the wins so far but City have been far from perfect. There is still much work to do. I'm not counting on a win on Saturday.

Finally, since when was 4-4-2 a 'defensive' formation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669