Strike!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feck me there's some tripe in this thread!

If you worked for a company that was failing, you'd do what you were told and be happy that you still had a job. How is that different to working for a country that is failing? If the money is not there, then its not there.

Sadly this is adding to the tripe. Countries' economies are different to companies

Feck me there's some tripe in this thread!

There sure is.
If you worked for a company that was failing, you'd do what you were told and be happy that you still had a job.

You might do, I certainly ****ing wouldn't.

How is that different to working for a country that is failing?

It's different because a nation state and a business are two entirely different entities.

If the money is not there, then its not there.

The 'money' has never, ever been there.

The same rule applies to both - if you're not making enough money (or you wish to reduce the shit you're getting yourself into), you can't continue splashing the cash.

Last edited:
I happen to live next door to a school so see quite clearly what time the teachers arrive and leave and I know quite a few of them pretty well. In addition, two members of my immediate family are teachers and I know what they get paid, what they do and how much they lose when they strike.

Like every profession, there are some who work harder than they have to and then there are many more that don't. 'Many' teachers tend to do their marking and other preparation during classes whilst their pupils are occupied doing some task. I personally know none that actually work anything like the hours that you suggest. Some claim to, mind.

In terms of sickness, the best part of 15,000 teachers are off sick every day. Hardly insignificant. As an example, combining her sick absences with training courses last year meant my daughters teacher missed more than one third of the teaching days in the year. A succession of bird brained supply teachers did little to make up the void of her learning meaning that when I came home from work, I had to fill in the gaps.

Oh, and no teacher is deducted more than 1/260th of their salary for a day's absence for striking and many get much better deals including 1/365th.
I could go on, but I won't. And don't get me started on the wasters working in the NHS (circa 50% of them in my experience) who have no concept of customer service and some of the morons that call themselves police officers. All 'sacred cow' professions. All are too often let down by those that are not held accountable for their actions and incompetence. As with most people, I've also encountered wonderful people in each profession who, in my experience, are mostly as pissed off with their colleagues as I am.

And I work in the public sector and have dealings with loads of these groups daily. And I was at work on Wednesday.

I happen to live next door to a school so see quite clearly what time the teachers arrive and leave and I know quite a few of them pretty well. In addition, two members of my immediate family are teachers and I know what they get paid, what they do and how much they lose when they strike.

Like every profession, there are some who work harder than they have to and then there are many more that don't. 'Many' teachers tend to do their marking and other preparation during classes whilst their pupils are occupied doing some task. I personally know none that actually work anything like the hours that you suggest. Some claim to, mind.

In terms of sickness, the best part of 15,000 teachers are off sick every day. Hardly insignificant. As an example, combining her sick absences with training courses last year meant my daughters teacher missed more than one third of the teaching days in the year. A succession of bird brained supply teachers did little to make up the void of her learning meaning that when I came home from work, I had to fill in the gaps.

Oh, and no teacher is deducted more than 1/260th of their salary for a day's absence for striking and many get much better deals including 1/365th.
I could go on, but I won't. And don't get me started on the wasters working in the NHS (circa 50% of them in my experience) who have no concept of customer service and some of the morons that call themselves police officers. All 'sacred cow' professions. All are too often let down by those that are not held accountable for their actions and incompetence. As with most people, I've also encountered wonderful people in each profession who, in my experience, are mostly as pissed off with their colleagues as I am.

And I work in the public sector and have dealings with loads of these groups daily. And I was at work on Wednesday.

That is all true of course, and 2+2=sausage.

You are so pissed off with people because your entire world view is informed by the Mail and the Sun. You haven't posted one single correct thing so far and your justification for knowing how many hours teachers work simply by loving next door is ridiculous.

Last edited:
The same rule applies to both - if you're not making enough money (or you wish to reduce the shit you're getting yourself into), you can't continue splashing the cash.

No it doesn't. This government has already demonstrated that stopping spending makes things worse. Greece and Ireland even more so.

No it doesn't. This government has already demonstrated that stopping spending makes things worse. Greece and Ireland even more so.

You do know why Greece defaulted don't you? Their debts became so high that nobody would lend to them except at unaffordable interest rates.

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with the fact that strangling an economy is a highway to disaster
And so is spending more.

I say let's splash any (borrowed) cash that's left, we're doomed anyway. Just like you would get drunk if you have 12 hours left to live.

This has nothing to do with the fact that strangling an economy is a highway to disaster

Atm the UK borrow money at 2.25%, Italy got in trouble when their borrowing rate got to very nearly 7%. If you borrow more money now all you are doing is delaying the inevitable.

I happen to live next door to a school so see quite clearly what time the teachers arrive and leave

Presumably in order to see teachers arriving and leaving work in line with the short days you suggest they work, you mustn't work a particularly long day yourself.

Atm the UK borrow money at 2.25%, Italy got in trouble when their borrowing rate got to very nearly 7%. If you borrow more money now all you are doing is delaying the inevitable.

That's great, but I haven't mentioned borrowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670