Sven

Status
Not open for further replies.
A proper training regime will right that current wrong

I quite agree, but different clubs have different training regimes and some don't have regular games so find it difficult to last the 90 minutes. But no doubt those that do come in will have to start on the bench in any case.

We do need a Jock Wallace style training regime to get the players fitter though. Perhaps Alan Young can re-create his old manager's training method's and offer his services to the club which he states on air that he love's so much.

Today's Independent:

Paul Newman: Sven takes a turn on the Mandaric merry-go-round

14-sven2_466101t.jpg

Football rarely stands still when Milan Mandaric is involved, but the Leicester City chairman's appointment yesterday of Sven Goran Eriksson as his new manager completed a whirlwind sequence of events remarkable even by his standards.

Only six days ago, Mandaric publicly backed Paulo Sousa, the manager he had recruited in the summer, despite Leicester's poor start. "It is crucial we stick together, get behind the team and manager and give him a chance to turn things around," Mandaric claimed.

On Friday, Sousa was sacked. On Saturday, Eriksson was at the Walkers Stadium as Leicester beat Scunthorpe United 3-1. Yesterday, it was revealed the former England manager had signed a two-year contract. "It's got to be a landmark for this football club, a special day," Mandaric said. "Sometimes in the future we can look back and say this was truly the right thing to do."

Since leaving his England job four years ago, Eriksson has not hung around anywhere for too long, having had spells with Manchester City, Mexico, Notts County and the Ivory Coast. Given Mandaric's record, he may consider rented accommodation in Leicester rather than buying. Not counting caretakers, Eriksson will be Mandaric's seventh manager – after Robert Kelly, Martin Allen, Gary Megson, Ian Holloway, Nigel Pearson and Sousa – since his arrival in 2007.

Pearson was the only manager to enjoy sustained success, which made his departure this summer all the stranger. Pearson led the Foxes to the League One title last year and into last season's Championship play-offs, in which Leicester lost to Cardiff in the semi-finals. Within six weeks, he had joined Hull City and was replaced by Sousa.

Mandaric said at the time that Leicester had "reluctantly agreed" to let Pearson leave. However, Pearson paints a different picture. "I resigned because, firstly, Leicester had an opportunity to deny any clubs who wanted to speak to me the opportunity, but they didn't do that," Pearson told BBC Radio Leicester on Saturday. "It appears that my successor was at both play-off games at the end of last season as a guest of the club. I think that tells you something."

If it was no surprise that Mandaric sacked Sousa, it is reasonable to assume that Leicester's new Thai owners have had a major say in Eriksson's appointment. It was revealed two months ago that Mandaric had sold out to the Asia Football Investments consortium, led by Aiyawatt Raksriaksorn, who owns the Thailand-based duty-free shopping business, King Power Group.

The Football League is understood to be happy with the deal and is set to ratify it within days. However, some Leicester fans have been asking questions. For example, how tightly knit are the different shareholders in the consortium? How much do they know about English football? And what guarantees are there of financial stability given the volatile political situation in Thailand?

Eriksson, who will start work today by flying out with his new team on a week-long tour of Thailand, remains a big name throughout the football world. He is clearly highly regarded in Thailand: it was another Thai owner, Thaksin Shinawatra, who brought him back into club football three years ago at Manchester City.

Asked whether he expected to be at Leicester for long, Eriksson replied: "Yes, absolutely. I signed a contract yesterday for two years. I hope it will be longer. In football, of course, you have to get results and I know what I want here. The owners and chairman want Premier League football. I didn't sign because I want to be a manager in the Championship." He added: "The Premier League will hopefully happen this year; if it doesn't, then the year after"

Like Eriksson, such achievement does not come cheap. Leicester already operate at a considerable loss, while their stadium is still owned by an American financial institution after the club went into administration eight years ago.

Eriksson is sure to want significant sums to strengthen his squad to achieve that goal.

The same Fergie that is sewn into the dugout at Old Trafford?
The same Capello that isn't doing as well as Sven did at England?
The same Lippi that led Italy to their worst World Cup performance?

I don't think Sven is that bad compared to them. He's just more willing to accept a challenge.
The same Alex Ferguson who since 2001 has won 5 Premier League titles, 1 Fa Cup, 3 League Cups, and 1 European Cup?

The same Capello who since 2001 has won 3 Serie A titles (granted two later revoked because of calciopoli) and 1 La Liga?

The same Lippi who since 2001 won 2 Serie A titles won the World Cup in 2006!?!?!

If you think Sven is anywhere near as good as them, you're delusional.

Right then...I was goung to shove my tuppence worth in here after reading through the thread.
BUT...then I saw this quote & thought I'd start here.

Mr Ginnetta.
Feck right off! This no-mark nobody & his family have been running the SC since i was at bloody school & I'm now in my declining middle years.You have all the credibility of a stale meat pie long past its sell by date & no-one connected with LCFC gives a sloppy shite for your opinion.

Moving on...

We know nothing.

Peter Taylor's appointment was broadly welcomed as i remember.Most people's 2nd choice after Redknapp.
NP received a lukewarm response.MON received a ringing "might be better than Mike Walker"

We can't tell anything so lets just enjoy the ride.
But just so that I can be hung out to dry if it goes tits up,I will go on record as saying I think Sven is a fantastic appointment.
The caveat of course is that if it all goes horribly wrong he'll walk in a matter of seconds.

MAIN POINT: He is,without doubt,a player's man...he commanded support & sympathy from the Man City squad (& fans it should be added) when he was shafted by the board & this is exactly the right sort of bloke needed to reignite the team spirit which has clearly been shattered by Sousa.He is a manager that players have always seemed to want to play for.That fact alone gets him my vote.

Right then...I was goung to shove my tuppence worth in here after reading through the thread.
BUT...then I saw this quote & thought I'd start here.

Mr Ginnetta.
Feck right off! This no-mark nobody & his family have been running the SC since i was at bloody school & I'm now in my declining middle years.You have all the credibility of a stale meat pie long past its sell by date & no-one connected with LCFC gives a sloppy shite for your opinion.

Moving on...

We know nothing.

Peter Taylor's appointment was broadly welcomed as i remember.Most people's 2nd choice after Redknapp.
NP received a lukewarm response.MON received a ringing "might be better than Mike Walker"

We can't tell anything so lets just enjoy the ride.
But just so that I can be hung out to dry if it goes tits up,I will go on record as saying I think Sven is a fantastic appointment.
The caveat of course is that if it all goes horribly wrong he'll walk in a matter of seconds.

MAIN POINT: He is,without doubt,a player's man...he commanded support & sympathy from the Man City squad (& fans it should be added) when he was shafted by the board & this is exactly the right sort of bloke needed to reignite the team spirit which has clearly been shattered by Sousa.He is a manager that players have always seemed to want to play for.That fact alone gets him my vote.
Well put, loved the first bit as well!

Thanks Real

Glad you liked the first part...it was an emotional response.The guy's name just always evokes memories of that crappy little cubby hole at Filbert Street next to the programme office where you could join the SC for 2 quid.
Ginnetta's little kingdom.
I think all you got for your money was the privilege of being able to stand in that sad little corner pen (The SC Enclosure!)
You know the one...the only part of the ground that on dramatic matchdays was distinguished by the fact that while the rest of the stadium was rocking & going mental as goals flew in & high drama unfolded gave the impression of the opening frame of a Clint Eastwood film with tumbleweed blowing gently across a fecking desert.

The same Alex Ferguson who since 2001 has won 5 Premier League titles, 1 Fa Cup, 3 League Cups, and 1 European Cup?

The same Capello who since 2001 has won 3 Serie A titles (granted two later revoked because of calciopoli) and 1 La Liga?

The same Lippi who since 2001 won 2 Serie A titles won the World Cup in 2006!?!?!

The same Sven who in his last 5 years as a club manager won:

* Coppa Italia Winners 1998, 2000
* Italian Super Cup Winners 1998, 2000
* UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Winners 1999
* UEFA Super Cup Winners 1999
* Serie A Champions 2000
* UEFA Cup Runners Up 1998

Yeah, I'd say it's pretty close.

Still no alternatives to Sven then?

Given that, after 48 pages, this thread has boiled down to comparing the relative merits of our new manager with Messrs. Ferguson, Lippi and Capello, may I suggest that we now have a very good chance of moving onwards and upwards?

Given that, after 48 pages, this thread has boiled down to comparing the relative merits of our new manager with Messrs. Ferguson, Lippi and Capello, may I suggest that we now have a very good chance of moving onwards and upwards?

Best post of the day!

Did we never compare Dowie with this lot? Scandalous!

I need a way to do 10 per page on my mobile and maintain 100 per page on my laptop. Hmmmm.

That's a good idea for a forum extension, device detection is easy enough.

In the meantime though, I seem to remember Jeff saying that having a second user account was okay for use on a mobile device.
I may have just made that up though.

That's a good idea for a forum extension, device detection is easy enough.

In the meantime though, I seem to remember Jeff saying that having a second user account was okay for use on a mobile device.
I may have just made that up though.

My regular username carries a lot of weight and respect, a second one would just water that down.

No thank you.

**** it - whatever happens at Leicester I'm always worried about how soon we'll get relegated, go bankrupt etc. etc. I'm a pessimistic pissant.

Just this once, I'm going to allow myself to be pleased that my team have landed a manager with a track record that suggests that, in general, he is pretty good at doing his job. Yes, I plan to enjoy it. Until it all goes tits up, of course. Then I'll be the one moaning "I knew we should have got Eddie Howe".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669