TBers Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was taken off the 10 hour train (viewing platform) up into the wilderness. It was unfortunately the only time I had my camera ready when I saw bears in the wild.

DSC_0835.jpg

We did see endless salmon trying to swim upstream. The black patch on the right is a mass of salmon resting from the current.

DSC_0351.jpg

There were loads of these just sitting around in the trees or on the tops of telegraph poles and fences.

DSC_0044.jpg

The colours in the glaciers are amazing, so blue in places

DSC_0793.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_0691.jpg

This one was calving - ie large chunks breaking off and falling into the sea
DSC_0680.jpg

You'll have to take my word that this was a whale as this is as good as my photos get - and I've got a lot like this where I only managed to catch a tail:icon_lol:. Mind you they weren't really jumping high out of the water like you see on nature programmes.

DSC_0720.jpg

This is back up in the wilderness. Despite the snow it is officially classed as a desert as so little rain falls. The trees here are short and very thin due to the poor soil conditions and so little daylight for much of the year.

DSC_0877.jpg

Tourism is highly regulated up there ie there are few roads and most of these don't allow private cars. If you go on one of the official coaches you aren't allowed to take any food off the bus (I saw a woman having a major row with a ranger as she thought she was exempt as she was diabetic) this is so that the animals don't eat unnatural food and the bears don't associate humans with a food source.

The weather was surprisingly good. They are in the middle of a heat wave. If the sky doesn't look clear it was because of the smoke from the forest fires that are burning all around.

Last edited:
Thank you, looks great. Did you experience any inconvience of any sort regarding travelling etc or any other disadvantages with a trip like this?

Thank you, looks great. Did you experience any inconvience of any sort regarding travelling etc or any other disadvantages with a trip like this?

There was a lot of travelling, especially with the 3 flights home. But the scenery on the way up generally made up for it.

VancouverAlaska09090.jpg

Mendenhall Glacier, Juneau.
VancouverAlaska09066.jpg

Many of the towns on the coast, including Juneau, the capital, are only accessible by sea or air and many shut down almost totally during the winter. So they are highly dependant on the summer tourist trade which can give them a slight unreal, Disney type feel, as every shop is a gift shop or an Alaskan "experience". Skagway has a population of about 800 but approx 3000 people pour off each cruise ship and there were 4 in port when we were there.

VancouverAlaska09070.jpg

Last edited:
For those that don't keep up to date with my blog, I have been playing with what I have termed "drawing with light". Some early results are attached:

DSCF1446.jpg

DSCF1458.jpg

DSCF1460.jpg

DSCF1465.jpg

DSCF1466.jpg

DSC00113.jpg

Grimsby Town Cricket Ground. Sunday 23 August 2009.

Hartsholme Cricket Club, George Marshall Cup winners.

Green Army...............

Last edited:
Celestial noughts and crosses anyone? :icon_bigg

Clouds.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Shit I'll play if you teach me how to save files from paint I'm a thick fecker me.

I don't have any photoshop type SW.

or you can just help me out circle top right. :icon_bigg

Last edited:
Crumbs that was a piece of piss. Cheers mack :056: wrong smiley should have been giving you a kiss.

Now where is the Maniac? run off to catch a bus to Kettering to go to Sheffield?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool718
2Manchester C  717
3Arsenal717
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa613
6Newcastle712
7Fulham711
8Tottenham 610