The annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded Summer 2011 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bert - foxestalk - Shane Long - 8 million pound bid - make of it what you will.

If Reading walk away with £13m from us, and still get promotion ahead of us, I'll never live it down with my Reading support mates.

Wonder if the Mills/St Ledger connections would tempt him to choose us over West Ham, assuming we have bid?

£8m for Shane Long on the back of one good season is crazy. I'd rather we stumped up the £8m for Maynard - they'd sell then I bet.

Allegedly this mornings Leicester Mercury will run with the Shane Long story. £7m is the figure mentioned.

Allegedly this mornings Leicester Mercury will run with the Shane Long story.

From Sky:

Celtic manager Neil Lennon concedes he retains an interest in both Shane Long and Craig Bellamy as he looks to bring a high profile striker to Parkhead.

The SPL giants are currently in Dublin for a pre-season tournament which also involves Manchester City, Inter Milan and an Airtricity XI at the capital's Aviva Stadium.

In a pre-tournament press conference, the Ulsterman was in a candid mood as he spoke openly when quizzed on purported interest in both players.

Liverpool are reported to be monitoring the situation of Reading's Long as they seek back-up for first choice strike pairing Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez, but it is West Ham who have stolen a march on their fellow suitors by lodging an offer thought to be in the region of £7million, including add-ons.

"He's a quality player and I've had him watched a couple of times and watched him myself. I'm a huge admirer of his," said Lennon of Long.

When asked if he'd given up on signing the Republic of Ireland international in light of the fact West Ham have stepped up their interest with a bid, the Celtic chief offered a bullish response.

"No, not yet. We've got another month (until the end of the transfer window)," he added.

No bid

"We haven't made a formal bid. I like the player and there is an interest there but not anything concrete.

"Whether our valuation matches Reading's is another matter."

Manchester City striker Bellamy is well known to the Celtic faithful having enjoyed a hugely productive loan spell in Glasgow back in 2005, when he moved to the club from Newcastle United for the second half of the season.

With Roberto Mancini keen to trim his squad, Bellamy - along with a number of other high-profile players - has been informed he is surplus to requirements in Manchester.

Lennon would love to be reunited with a player he holds in the highest regard but admits finances could prohibit a deal for the Welshman as earlier this week the 32-year-old claimed he will only leave City on a permanent transfer.

Few too many zeros in the figures quoted for Long. Madness.

Few too many? Or far too many?

Or perhaps they just got the decimal point in the wrong place?

Absolutely. I've never been overly concerned about transfer fees the club pays out, but surely that's way over the odds for a player like Long.
Quite. I don't really care what the club spends unless its clearly over the odds and much better could be procured at a similar cost.

Emmanuel Adebayor :081:

There today....

5ec38545-5682-7875.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675