Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded summer 2020 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of the 4 match starting defenders we have Evans, Soyuncu, Ricardo and Chilwell, Chilwell would be the least missed if sold.

You mentioned AR and I was suggesting Chilwell is nearer being average than world class.
I go to most games and Chilwell has had more poor and average games than good or brilliant.
No. You said he was nearer to Alan Rogers, (not nearer to being average), than the most expensive defender in the world, who happens to be Maguire. I dispute that.

I don’t necessarily argue with your point about him being the most disposable of our back four, but he’s far from as shit as you make out. You are perfectly entitled to your opinion of him, I just think you’re using hyperbole.

No. You said he was nearer to Alan Rogers, (not nearer to being average), than the most expensive defender in the world, who happens to be Maguire. I dispute that.

I don’t necessarily argue with your point about him being the most disposable of our back four, but he’s far from as shit as you make out. You are perfectly entitled to your opinion of him, I just think you’re using hyperbole.
I think Chilwell is very average and overrated that is my opinion of him, you are entitled to yours, if Leicester got offered £80 million for him it would be foolish to turn it down.

I think Chilwell is very average and overrated that is my opinion of him, you are entitled to yours, if Leicester got offered £80 million for him it would be foolish to turn it down.
I agree, I would probably sell him for £80m. I haven’t actually said what my opinion is of him, I’ve just called out people describing him in exaggeratedly shit terms.

For what it’s worth, I think he’s a very good player, with some defensive faults. Is he worth £80m? Not in my opinion, no, but that doesn’t mean he’s the love child of Junior Lewis and Lee Marshall.

I think people who think Chilwell is shit misunderstand the role of the modern full back.
Exactly this, they also don't understand the tactics of the modern game.

I've been over it before so i won't spend long on this, but our tactical set-up deliberately leaves our full backs exposed, which makes them look worse defensively. You may well disagree with doing this, but it's a chance we take to be stronger in other areas.

Also our full backs are asked to provide the attacking impetus and width for the team, and they take up positions that favour exploiting their pace in attack over defensive ones.

This is not unique to Leicester, and most of the top teams do it. While Chilwell get's exposed more often than some others, i agree that this setup creates more goal than it concedes.

Strange how our set up works for the right full back, who was one of the players of the season, yet works against the left full back, who most certainly wasn’t ...
our right sided attackers tend to be more diligent in their defensive duties, people blamed Chilwell for the Man City debacle but in realisty he was put in position to leave De Bruyne free or Mahrez free due to neither Wilf tracking De Bruyne nor Barnes tracking back to help out, Pep is a master tactician and would have noticed how often Barnes gets back to help and exploited it, Perez and Albrighton work much harder in front of Ricardo.

There are times when we get dispossessed that Chilwell gets back in a full sprint and Ricardo is still around the half way line as others have got back to cover him, a luxury that Chilwell rarely gets

Strange how our set up works for the right full back, who was one of the players of the season, yet works against the left full back, who most certainly wasn’t ...

Two main reasons for this in my opinon:
1. Ricardo is a much better defender than Chilwell, which I've not seen anyone dispute. Ricardo is a much more complete full back than Chilwell, but he is also 3 years older and more experienced.

2. Ricardo has more support on his side of the pitch. Chilwell needs more cover, but Ricardo is the one that gets it - Perez/Albrighton usually play on the right and both are better at getting back than Barnes. Also, I feel Ndidi spends more time on the right hand side of the pitch. I went looking for a heat map, and this from Xmas supports that I think

skysports-wilfred-ndidi-leicester-city_4866345.png

I think Ricardo is one of the best all round RBs playing right now though, so Chilwell not being as good is not criticism of Chilwell

I think people who think Chilwell is shit misunderstand the role of the modern full back.
I don't think Chilwell is shit, if the modern full backs job isn't to defend and to leave the opposition attacker with plenty of space to exploit then Chilwell is brilliant.
I think he is overrated and if replaced with Jamal Lewis nobody would notice any difference.
Ricardo for me is exactly what a modern full back should be.

I don't think Chilwell is shit, if the modern full backs job isn't to defend and to leave the opposition attacker with plenty of space to exploit then Chilwell is brilliant.
I think he is overrated and if replaced with Jamal Lewis nobody would notice any difference.
Ricardo for me is exactly what a modern full back should be.
Exactly. This 'modern full back' nonsense makes no sense. It is all about what the team needs based on the shape they play and the players they have at their disposal. We need a defender. Chilwell may be great at a club that don't need him to defend although I'd have my reservations, but that's not us.

Modern fullbacks expected to run the ball off the pitch and actually just miss the ball when trying to control it?

He did this so many times last season. Genuinely hard to watch sometimes.

Modern fullbacks expected to run the ball off the pitch and actually just miss the ball when trying to control it?

He did this so many times last season. Genuinely hard to watch sometimes.
Yep and some on here seam to think Chilwell is Roberto Carlos, with the excuse he doesn't need to defend because its the modern way.
I would rather we had a proper defender and a proper winger rather than a jack of all trades but master of none which is what Chilwell is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757